Tim Hortons in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
243 replies to this topic

#41 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:43 PM

Does each TimBit have a bit of Tim in it?

#42 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:49 PM

aahh The Horton/Stanley defence line for the Leafs. A great memory.

#43 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 04 March 2009 - 01:45 PM

I also continue to be horrified at the idea of TimBits given how Tim Horton died. For those of you that do not know the story, he died by flipping his car at 100 miles an hour and smearing himself along a stretch of the QEW between St Catherine's and Hamilton - bits of Tim everywhere.

Thanks, I needed a bit of dark humor today :P

#44 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 04 March 2009 - 02:31 PM

aahh The Horton/Stanley defence line for the Leafs. A great memory.

As a west coaster, the idea of Leafs and a great memory is just wrong. It reminds that for years the NHL refused to let anyone from the west play for the Stanley Cup. That the league stopped Vancouver, and other cities, from having a team in the NHL for decades.

The owners of Toronto, Montreal and Detroit spend several decades stopping hockey. I can never be a fan those teams, especially given that Detroit is formed from Victoria's team.

#45 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 06:28 PM

For me, Hockey Night in Canada with Foster Hewitt and the Original 6, was magic.

#46 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 17 August 2009 - 09:55 PM

Can't believe there are so many Tim haters on this site.

#47 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:33 AM

I don't hate Tim Hortons just crappy food.

#48 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:59 AM

^crappy coffee too.

#49 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:30 AM

Timmy's has sucked ever since they went from actually baking stuff in-house to reheating frozen semi-cooked processed crap from a central food processing facility. Blech.

#50 VicDuck

VicDuck

Banned

• Banned
  • 409 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 03:59 PM

Well i like their sandwiches. I don't eat donuts or drink coffee.

#51 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 18 August 2009 - 04:08 PM

I do not hate Tim Horton's, I just fail to see why I would want to eat or drink low quality food and coffee from a big corporation with no history or connection to where I live. Yes, this means I am not going to go to Applebee's anytime soon.

That said, I have gone to the original Tim Horton's in Hamilton.

#52 phx

phx
  • 1,856 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 06:39 PM

+1 on the sandwiches

#53 pseudotsuga

pseudotsuga
  • 287 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 10:06 PM

Timmies is safe bet for lunch if pulling off the highway somewhere and I don't know the town well enough to find good food.

#54 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 07:52 AM

"Timmies is safe bet for lunch if pulling off the highway somewhere and I don't know the town well enough to find good food."

I agree. Don't really like their coffee, don't eat doughnuts, but I have to say I was damned grateful to see a Tim Horton's the two times I've driven across Canada, just because I knew I'd get a half decent sandwich there.

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:14 AM

I recently ate at TH when waiting for a connecting flight at Vancouver Intl. I don't see why we can't just accept its a fast food joint like any other. It's not supposed to offer fine fares at dirt cheap prices, so really you get what you pay for.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#56 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

yeah wtf! at least TH is our official national fast food joint and not BK...

#57 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 08:39 AM

I accept it is fast food, it is just fast food that does not work for me. Certainly it is hard to find a worse place to get a coffee and their donuts are inferior to any bakery donut I have had.

As to it being a 'safe place' to eat when on the road. I find that there is always some sort of local greasy spoon type of restaurant when you turn off of the highway - I have yet to go to one of them and not have better food than a Tim Horton's.

For years I did make use of the Tim Horton's in Chilliwack when driving back to Lillooet from Vancouver late at night, ie leaving the city after ten pm. I would hit that TH and get a large coffee and some donuts and use that caffeine and sugar to keep me going for the next few hours. The TH in Chilliwack is open 24/7.

#58 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:21 AM

I agree with Bernard. On road trips we'd find something other than the cookie-cutter fast food joints.
Maybe I have unusual teenagers, but neither will eat there or at others because of the fat and sodium levels.

Bernard was it you who posted about Timmy's history?
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Tim_Horton

I see now they have merged with Wendy's:
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Tim_Hortons

#59 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:32 AM

I agree with Bernard. On road trips we'd find something other than the cookie-cutter fast food joints.
Maybe I have unusual teenagers, but neither will eat there or at others because of the fat and sodium levels.

Bernard was it you who posted about Timmy's history?
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Tim_Horton

I see now they have merged with Wendy's:
http://en.wikipedia....iki/Tim_Hortons

Not me that posted any of that stuff. They are also no longer owned by Wendy's

My sons have basically wanted to avoid burger type fast food since watching Fast Food Nation.

#60 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 09:40 AM

Not me that posted any of that stuff. They are also no longer owned by Wendy's

My sons have basically wanted to avoid burger type fast food since watching Fast Food Nation.

I found it. post #39 in this thread. It's something I never forgot after reading about it.
I think it was Super Size Me that did it for my kids. lol

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users