Photo

Shank's Pub | Saanich | Derby Rd. (Cedar Hill Golf Course)

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 04:15 PM

It's been years since I've been golfing there and I didn't know there was a pub there.

Is it a pub worth going to? Or is it more of a small licensed lounge for the golfers?

Since the golf course is owned by Saanich I was wondering if other municipalities operate or lease separate pubs or restaurants.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#2 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:39 PM

I had no idea about Shank's - I am shocked to not have known.

#3 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 08:48 PM

I think I knew there was a bar there, didn't know it had any particular name.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:12 PM

Only a municipality could run a bar so that even we were unaware of it.

Even a Google search turns up nothing but a handful of directory listings. You can't even see it on StreetView.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,187 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 06:43 AM

It's a trap!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#6 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 16 June 2010 - 07:38 AM

I know this pub quite well. We often walk there for a drink or for dinner. A beautiful view.
Alcohol was served in the old clubhouse that was destroyed in a fire.

#7 hotdoglegz

hotdoglegz
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 07:58 PM

wouldn't the lounge at Oak Bay Rec Centre be the same idea?

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 09:35 PM

^Kind of, but no-one in their right mind is sitting at home saying, "Hey, let's go down to the rec centre and have a few drinks!" It's more of a captive crowd, like the ferry cafeteria.

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 17 June 2010 - 11:28 PM

^Kind of, but no-one in their right mind is sitting at home saying, "Hey, let's go down to the rec centre and have a few drinks!" It's more of a captive crowd, like the ferry cafeteria.

Yes, but there might be some wholesome members of the opposite sex that you might meet after they were finished exercising.

Not a bad choice when you think about it. Oak Bay Rec is a good example after a rousing game of tennis.

#10 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 19 June 2010 - 01:32 AM

When I lived in Oak Bay it was pretty convenient to go for a burger and beer at the rec centre. The food was just like you would expect it to be (indifferent) but the beer was always cold. I suspect the fact that there was a curling rink attached had something to do with it.

Matt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users