Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 19 September 2021 - 08:30 PM

You are not 74

#202 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:55 PM

The province already told them that. Back to in person appointments, or else.

Matt.

Yeah, but it is still not in place.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#203 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 20 September 2021 - 07:57 PM

You are not 74

How do you know?

#204 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,294 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 02:59 PM

The West Shore will have a new health care option come the spring, with a focus on vulnerable populations.

Mitzi Dean, MLA for Esquimalt-Metchosin and Minister of Children and Family Development, said in a Friday announcement the new facility will be based in the existing Pacific Centre Family Services Association (PCFSA) site in Colwood and will feature 16 exam rooms and six virtual care stations.

_______

The new centre will feature a staff of nine physicians, three nurse practitioners, three to four registered nurses, a social worker, four community health workers and an Elder in Residence. The centre is expected to have a capacity of 6,700 patients.

________

Services at the centre will be focused on people with mental health conditions, addictions, multiple chronic health conditions, seniors, Indigenous peoples, and gender-diverse people, and will include primary care and health promotion.

https://www.vicnews....en-next-spring/

can’t we just have services for everyone? by “focused” on the list there does that mean others that do not check those boxes are not admitted? or get lower priority?

also, the author needs to qualify the 6,700 number. It makes no sense as is. read that press release harder. you had one job.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2021 - 03:02 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#205 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 03:12 PM

So in other words they have done the same as they did in James Bay, Saanich and Downtown. An existing privately run medical centre has been closed and replaced with a publicly run one.

Edited by spanky123, 13 November 2021 - 03:15 PM.

#206 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 03:20 PM

...can’t we just have services for everyone? by “focused” on the list there does that mean others that do not check those boxes are not admitted? or get lower priority?...

A government so preoccupied by its own dogma that it's willing to prioritize healthcare for certain groups of people over others.

• Barrrister and Victoria Watcher like this

#207 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 03:24 PM

it actually could mean that some of those groups only get to see the people there that are less than doctors. I don’t know.

I’m not sure what the distinctions are between the nursing positions. Or what the Elder does.

But I can almost assure you there won’t be anywhere near male/female at this clinic in terms of staff.

#208 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 04:05 PM

Hope that the new Colwood Centre at 324 Goldstream in Mitzi Dean's riding gets all its  promised GPs, NPs, RNs just like the Westshore UPCC just one km down the road at 582 Goldstream in John Horgan's riding. In 2019, Minister Dix quoted in a news story that Westshore UPCC was busiest in the province but in that same news, a private practice physician said that the UPCC model was kind of expensive. By 2021, more news about issues of physician scarcity in Westshore.

:)

#209 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 04:08 PM

Yes indeed:

About 19 per cent of West Shore residents don’t have a family doctor. The provincial average is 17 per cent.

No wonder it’s popular. Of course I think also all medicine (short of hospital stays) is done wrong. Same with education. All wrong.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2021 - 04:09 PM.

#210 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 05:58 PM

Inequality of services seems to be the new standard for this government. Exactly when did we abandon the goal of equality of all people.  

• Nparker and A Girl is No one like this

#211 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 06:40 PM

Hope that the new Colwood Centre at 324 Goldstream in Mitzi Dean's riding gets all its  promised GPs, NPs, RNs just like the Westshore UPCC just one km down the road at 582 Goldstream in John Horgan's riding. In 2019, Minister Dix quoted in a news story that Westshore UPCC was busiest in the province but in that same news, a private practice physician said that the UPCC model was kind of expensive. By 2021, more news about issues of physician scarcity in Westshore.

The Westshore UPCC meets its limit of "customers" by 9am.

All they do is put out a sign saying "We are at capacity for the day".

#212 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,294 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 06:46 PM

Maybe “free, unlimited” visits induces demand. Who knew!?!?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 November 2021 - 06:46 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#213 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 07:18 PM

I am lucky since my GP still does house calls.

#214 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 13 November 2021 - 07:58 PM

I am lucky since my GP still does house calls.

You must live somewhere in the 1950s.  ;)

#215 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 08:24 AM

Inequality of services seems to be the new standard for this government. Exactly when did we abandon the goal of equality of all people.  

They don't use inequality anymore they use the word equity. Equity means that you and your friends get equal treatment in order to make up for past perceived problems!

#216 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 08:26 AM

The NDP has been driving family practices out of business in order to replace them with UPCCs. The goal is to move away from the fee for service model to try and save money. From what I hear that works great for a GP if you want part time work but many with a family practice put in far more than their hourly quota and don't get paid for it under the new model.

• Barrrister likes this

#217 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 08:31 AM

About 19 per cent of West Shore residents don’t have a family doctor. The provincial average is 17 per cent.

What is expected for population growth once the bubble of baby boomers passes away?  I can't help but wonder if they are planning long term and not just for the bubble.

They don't use inequality anymore they use the word equity. Equity means that you and your friends get equal treatment in order to make up for past perceived problems!

In the 80s and 90s I couldn't apply for jobs or at least had more difficult acceptance criteria because I was a white male.  How long do I need to pay for things caused by others?

• LJ, A Girl is No one and Barrrister like this

#218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 15 November 2021 - 01:29 PM

What is expected for population growth once the bubble of baby boomers passes away?  I can't help but wonder if they are planning long term and not just for the bubble.

It's a bit of a tricky dance, for sure. The big boomer retirement wave is only now beginning with another decade of the wave coming, plus another 15-20 years of retirement thereafter. So we could be dealing with the boomer bubble through 2050, by which point the population of the nation is expected to be far higher than it presently is (and must be, in order to pay for healthcare and sustain pensions).

One thing's for certain. The Capital Region needs a new hospital, and with so much growth happening on the West Shore it is highly likely that a new facility will have to be built in Langford/west of Langford by 2030.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#219 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 09:51 AM

Esquimalt: "The Urgent and Primary Care Centre now has an urgent care doctor, but no primary care physicians": https://www.cbc.ca/n...-wait-1.6275719

Interesting that only the Medical Clinic at 1153 Esquimalt Road shows up on Medimap (5 hour wait currently), but not the new EUPCC, presumably because of not having that primary care physician.

Recent TC news story featured EUPCC's Dr. Alec Walton, who if I understand correctly, is doing only urgent care at the centre, not primary care. 

Island Health's EUPCC website does appear to offer quite a list of medical procedures, many of which will be done by the RNs. 

:)

#220 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,971 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 10:44 AM

^ They can't attract family doctors because they have made the model so unattractive that it isn't worth their time or effort.

• Nparker and Barrrister like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users