Urban Golf Courses

• Please log in to reply
178 replies to this topic

#101 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 December 2013 - 06:28 AM

Maybe let's put this thread back on track.

We used to have a popular Boxing Day Golf Tournament around here, can't find any online mention today

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#102 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:32 PM

The George McRae house at the Cedar Hill Municipal Park

IMG_9552.jpg

The McRaes ran a dairy farm on this property, and in 1921 leased a portion of the property to develop a 9 hole golf course. The aerial view shows the clubhouse on what is now Finlayson Place. Present day Finlayson is just to the north of that house.

The purchase of the McRae estate by Saanich in 1967 ensured that the 200 acres would be preserved for future generations. The McRae residence was completed in the early 1900's and is designated heritage. The site is currently housing Saanich Volunteer Services Society, and was inhabited by the last surviving member of the McRae family, Margaret, until her passing in 1994.

IMG_9551.jpg

The present clubhouse

IMG_9576.jpg

The McRae House

IMG_9580.jpg

The site of the proposed clay tennis courts.

IMG_9569.jpg

• Mike K. likes this

#103 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:33 PM

Excellent photos and info, Bingo, thank you.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#104 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

Important meeting regarding controversial tennis courts

January 22, 2014 10:54 from John Spurr

Saanich Council will likely vote Thursday night to decide the future of 8 proposed clay tennis courts behind the Cedar Hill Recreation Center.

The polarizing proposal would see the private courts built on public land, some of which is a wetlands as well as Bowker Creek.

An open house at the end of November of last year, saw so many people attend that not everyone had a chance to speak.

Thursday night, those who weren't heard will have one last opportunity to share their opinion before Saanich Council weighs in.

The meeting starts at 7:30pm at the Garth Homer society, if you'd like to speak it's advised that you arrive early.  

http://www.cfax1070....ersial-tennis-c

#105 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 08:12 AM

Mayor Frank Leonard says council will hold a third session to accommodate all those who want to speak. They got to 56 people with more still waiting last night -- a session which itself was held because people were left waiting at the first public hearing.

Leonard, speaking with CTV Vancouver Island, said many tennis lovers came from all over the region  to address council. But many of the speakers from the local community were "more opposed."

When Leonard says that "tennis lovers came from all over the region" does that mean they are not Saanich taxpayers?

If so were they being allowed to address the meeting?

Sounds like the way to settle this is to have a referendum.

#106 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

It's the longest public hearing in Saanich history.  First World problems, when a tennis court proposal is the most pressing thing ever in Saanich.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#107 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 January 2014 - 12:19 PM

Leonard doesn't believe in amalgamation. Those tennis lovers only came from all over the "Saanich" region.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#108 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 12:05 PM

Clay Court Tennis meeting again Saturday February 1, 2014, 9:30 AM

Garth homer Centre - 813 Darwin

http://www.saanich.c...r/meetings.html

#109 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Clay courts defeated, Frank Leonard tweets:  https://twitter.com/...755126140899328

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#110 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Saanich Council votes unanimously against clay tennis courts

http://www.cfax1070....gainst-clay-ten

The field stays

IMG_9569.jpg

#111 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 04:50 PM

The proponents should look to Langford

#112 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 09:51 PM

Hmm. Too bad. The field is poorly drained, poorly maintained, and (from what I can tell), almost totally unused. Its habitat, recreational and aesthetic values are very low. I would have gotten a kick out of watching people playing tennis there (and maybe even joined at some point).

But I guess the idea of giving a private (though non-profit) group a whack of cash for this was a bit over the top. Anyway, the 'avoid change at all costs' crowd worked hard for this, so good for them. 

• sebberry likes this

#113 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:37 PM

Anyway, the 'avoid change at all costs' crowd worked hard for this, so good for them. 

I believe that is written into the charters of the 4 core municipalities.

Edited by Nparker, 01 February 2014 - 11:37 PM.

#114 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,503 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

The field stays

IMG_9569.jpg

Oh thank god for that.  I was wondering where Fido might have to do his business if that field was lost to a tennis court.  Phew.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#115 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 12:49 AM

I'm unclear why this even went to a public hearing.  Can anyone bring any proposal to council, with the hope if it being put to a hearing?  I mean, the strange part was the loan request, to me.  If in the end, the vote was 9-0, who initially supported this going to the hearing?

#116 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 09:11 AM

That's exactly what I am unclear about as well.

Know it all.

#117 http

http

Data Sans Practicality

• 1,029 posts

Posted 02 February 2014 - 10:02 AM

It's the longest public hearing in Saanich history.  First World problems, when a tennis court proposal is the most pressing thing ever in Saanich.

No.  This comes across as being disrespectful of public participation.  People saw it was both wrong and important, believed they could say why in public without sounding like a total fool, and did so.  The first world has no monopoly on misguided public policy.

It's the scale of the issue - the wrongness of it was easily grasped (and articulated) without a decade's training in property law and municipal planning.  Put forward a proposal to change maximum FSR in a zone from 6.0 to 6.5, and you may need years of training in planning and property law to coherently object* that a new zoning is required instead.

* I lack training in property law and planning, so I'm just making this up as a plausible 'for instance'.  I am not a zoning lawyer.  More importantly, I am not your lawyer.

"Who are those slashdot people? They swept over like Mongol-Tartars." - F. E. Vladimirovna

#118 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:43 PM

Tree down at Cedar Hill

IMG_0410.jpg

#119 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 01:02 PM

So does one play through or???

• Bingo likes this

#120 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 July 2015 - 02:33 PM

Glen Meadows development scheme rejected

A proposal to re-purpose the land currently occupied by Glen Meadows Golf Course has been turned down cold in North Saanich.

Mayor Alice Finall says Council voted unanimously to reject the proposal to resume farming on a majority of the property, in exchange for allowing a multi family housing development on a portion of it.

The entire golf course , about 130 acres, is within the Agricultural Land Reserve.

Finall will be on C-FAX tomorrow (Thursday) morning to elaborate on Council's reasons for dismissing the idea.

http://www.cfax1070....scheme-rejected

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users