Photo

[Downtown Victoria] View/Vancouver condos | 14-storeys | Canceled

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
90 replies to this topic

#21 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:15 AM

it looks like some sorta ship from star wars too me. I hate it!!

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:26 AM

And you can see how the little Adria will be completely boxed in.

Turning right from View onto Vancouver you have quite the NASCAR-style bank. Someone said they stand away from the corner when a truck flies around for fear it will tip over!
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:30 AM

Personally I still think that this building is really nice. I like that it is not just a slab and the taller portion of the building is really beautiful. I think that the only commercial space is along Vancouver and it has been hinted they would like it to be a restaurant.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:31 AM

Yep, the restaurant would be able to use the inner courtyard.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#25 DelsterX

DelsterX
  • 80 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:55 AM

it looks like some sorta ship from star wars too me. I hate it!!

You mean like a Star Destroyer?

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:31 AM

Pretty sure star destroyers don't have inner courtyards.

#27 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:52 PM

I really like this building, it has a lot of character, beautiful features and I think with a few tweaks here and there it could become one of Victoria's classic buildings over time. Perhaps raise the height of both ends by several floors to take away any hint of fatscraperness.

imho this is 5.8x better than what appears to be proposed on the Capitol 6 lot.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:09 PM

Raise the height? No way, it will be a tough enough fight just getting it through as it is. It's really pushing the Harris Green guidelines and the Regents Park residents will be fighting this till the bitter end.

#29 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:26 PM

that's the funniest, yet most sickening thing about this.

#30 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 07:30 PM

Why's that?

#31 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

Someone living in a 17 story tower, being the biggest enemy of a 15 story proposal, is funny, yet twistedly sickening to me!!!

Highrise living nimbys! :?

#32 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

I find the massing of this proposal to be lumpy, and that brown facade better not be stucco.

#33 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:55 PM

I think it's mud and clay! This was made to reflect the heritage of our earlier buildings, that were made in the early 1800's. Also wooden sidewalks with loose planks will also be used with wooden rails encompassing the building for those who may want to tie up their horse.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:04 PM

Someone living in a 17 story tower, being the biggest enemy of a 15 story proposal, is funny, yet twistedly sickening to me!!!

Highrise living nimbys! :?

Look at it from their perspective. Regent's Park towers were proposed before the Harris Green height restrictions were put in place. Buyers of the top floors were assured that the new height restrictions would bar buildings over 12 storeys. They paid a premium for those southern views that will now be blocked by this proposal. They're saying, "When did height restrictions become height suggestions!"

#35 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:10 PM

WHatever! Anyone knows that any city plan or neighbourhood plan lasts for a set amount of time and that is it. Otherwise we would still have a warehouse district in old town and still have soap factories at the Y-lot. Sorry but no one should assume a neighbourhood plan lasts forever.

It has a whole new look!

#36 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 09:12 PM

That's a good answer.

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 10:40 PM

The regents park types will complain at just about anything, I think. They may stop a development across the street, but a 23-storey View Towers could just as easily be built three blocks south and their argument would hold no weight -- not that it holds any weight now anyways for no one owns a view.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#38 HOMBRE

HOMBRE
  • 58 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 09:04 AM

get every1 in the regents park to raise their strata fees and pool together to purchase the property then, or just shut the hell up because its not your property.

#39 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 11 August 2006 - 04:06 PM

^ that's awesome!!!! hahahaha

#40 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 05:24 PM

A backhoe is playing with dirt on this lot. I forsee a new surface parking lot.

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users