• 729 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

Please tell me you are kidding.

#42 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:37 PM

I am not kidding about the backhoe. I suppose what it is doin is anyone's guess.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#43 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 23 February 2007 - 08:47 PM

maybe backhoe training..?

#44 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 09:00 PM

A backhoe is playing with dirt on this lot. I forsee a new surface parking lot.

Is a parking lot a permitted use in the zone?

If so,

Wouldn't they need a permit?

Be required to meet certain standards?

And, with all the hassle some surface parking lot operator's have been getting over the last few years, would it even be worth the effort...

Edit: When I went by around 11:30 am today, City crews were measuring flows in the sewers at View and Vancouver.. and there are now a lot of surveyers' grafitti on the street and sidewalks...

#45 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:07 PM

It would have to be rezoned in order to be used as a parking lot. This is why the Bambu lot cannot be used for parking.

I'm meeting with Charlayne Thornton-Joe next Monday on the rehabilitation of the sinking corner.

#46 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

I have this fantasy about recreating an urban stream or ravine there(**), with a bridge going over it. Note: I said "fantasy." I know it'll never happen. But it seems crazy that we're looking at fixing this constant sink-hole in a battle against nature, when maybe it would be easier (in a way) to go with the flow, let that area be what it wants to be (isn't it a covered up stream/ waterbed that flows to the harbour, exiting near Market Square?). Open it up, put a bridge type structure over the intersection, and turn it into an attraction? It could be a public art work, a nature study project, a piece of urban engineering, a -- dare I say? -- tourist attraction.

The raccoons would love it...

(**) EDIT: by "there," I don't mean the building lot, I mean the intersection (View & Vancouver).
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#47 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 23 February 2007 - 10:28 PM

I swear that sinkhole has sunk another foot since I took those pictures in August (page 1). And I don't think I'm exaggerating.

#48 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 08:41 AM

It is a bog that is losing its water. The only way to fix it is either dig up the whole thing or pump water into it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#49 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 01:15 PM

Is there a city map overlay that shows the former natural drainage on the current development.?

#50 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 02:36 PM

Yes, there is a map called "Lost streams of Victoria" that you can get from the DFO. The GVPL has a copy on display.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#51 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 04:48 PM

I have this fantasy about recreating an urban stream or ravine there(**), with a bridge going over it. Note: I said "fantasy." I know it'll never happen. But it seems crazy that we're looking at fixing this constant sink-hole in a battle against nature, when maybe it would be easier (in a way) to go with the flow, let that area be what it wants to be (isn't it a covered up stream/ waterbed that flows to the harbour, exiting near Market Square?). Open it up, put a bridge type structure over the intersection, and turn it into an attraction? It could be a public art work, a nature study project, a piece of urban engineering, a -- dare I say? -- tourist attraction.

The raccoons would love it...

(**) EDIT: by "there," I don't mean the building lot, I mean the intersection (View & Vancouver).

I love that idea!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#52 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 09:56 PM

^ Well, with that raccoon avatar, how could you resist, eh? :lol:

It is intriguing to think about, though. There has been "deconstruction" in fashion (you know, with previously hidden seams deliberately turned to the garment's outside/exterior), and there's "deconstruction" in architecture... Why not in city engineering? Just a small patch (or two)... Just where the dip is the deepest (close to the sidewalks, at the NE and SE corners), with regular asphalt elsewhere on road... Just open those patches, footbridges in something "dead sexy," like gridded/mesh stainless steel over top, very industrial-looking, with a peek-a-boo view to nature doing her thing beneath... Something new to look at, the earth revealed, bogs, streams, subterranean doings... Oh well, dream on!
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#53 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:17 PM

Who knows, if it can be imagined, it can be built!
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#54 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:14 PM

Think of Rutledge park that Saanich built a few years ago on Inverness. It was a neighbourhood of old homes and they bought the entire street and turned in into a natural park, complete with a little boggy pond.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 11:39 PM

boggy pond.

Boggy Pond would be a good name for a rock band.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#56 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 08:45 AM

isn't "deconstruction" the current green word for demolition

#57 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 09:26 AM

Yes, but in Ms. B's sense it means not imposing something on nature--instead "going with the flow".

#58 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:04 AM

My understanding is that you peel off the finish to reveal the guts... so buildings where the structural elements are revealed instead of covered, plumbing might be located on the outside for instance. So in the urban context you would be revealing the geology of the city which is usually paved over to created an illusion of sameness. At least I hope that is what Ms B Havin is talking about rather than the "throw everything in the air and then built it as it falls approach.

#59 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:32 AM

^ @Caramia: yeah, that's pretty much it. Exposing the "what" & "how" of what's underneath (in this case a natural formation that has been covered up).

UVic has a program in ecological restoration. Wonder if they've ever looked at what's going on at View & Vancouver?

#60 Icebergalley

Icebergalley
  • 596 posts

Posted 25 February 2007 - 11:56 AM

Would an example of "opening it up" be the negative space in front of the Archives at the RBCM?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users