Photo

[Downtown Victoria] SoMA condo | 6-storeys | Built - completed in 2009

• Please log in to reply
254 replies to this topic

#41 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:39 PM

Looks good to me, though the garage door looks a bit wide, but whatever works!

#42 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:39 PM

If you were to place the Rohani building sideways and place it on this lot would it fit?

#43 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:40 PM

The tower, perhaps, but definitely not the podium.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#44 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

In the late 1990s there was a proposal for a four storey office building on this site that never happened.

#45 Ben Smith

Ben Smith
  • 127 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:07 PM

Hey, thanks Simon!

Anyways, I like the proposal with the building flipped, so it is not smack up against the Sussex!

However, then Rohani (the Scotia bank glass tower) would be literally boxed in at the south, and would have no view from ANY of their tenants on the Southwestern corner.
Ouch.
But hey, its a tall building. Im for it! :lol:

#46 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

#47 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:26 PM

The bigger parking lot down the street

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:36 PM

That's the building I'm talking about that's for sale. It'd be a perfect sibling for redeveloping the small parking lots to its left. The large parking lot in Ox's other photos shows the potential for the eastern parking lot which is already large enough for a decent podium and a slender tower that won't wall in other buildings.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:50 PM

This proposal is not good for this part of the C.B.D.

I think when this goes forward we should stand up against it.

We are loosing more and more prime lots for grade A office space. This block should be saved for offices. And the block should have a plan.

#50 m0nkyman

m0nkyman
  • 729 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

If they can't be bothered to consolidate with the lot next door that IS for sale, how serious are these developers?

#51 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

This is exactly the type of street which should be offices. We have to make sure Victoria stays a functioning city with office workers and not just a resort town full of condos and hotels.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think office buildings are required to have parking, are they? Because if the building didn't have parking, the streetfront would look much better with either more retail or a grander entrance to the building.

#52 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:02 PM

The office buildings should have underground parking for workers....Sussex has underground parking. Much better than the parkade attached to the CIBC building.

#53 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:19 PM

I do prefer underground parking to parkades, but all these garage doors makes for an ugly street, especially when the garage door takes up 50% of the ground floor. Too bad there's no alley between Broughton & Fort. :(

#54 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

#55 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:47 PM

There we go!

Know it all.

#56 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Not the best image...but that's what we need!!! Bring on Photoshop...in a few weeks. Then the magic starts!!! hahahhaha

#57 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:52 PM

It would be nice to have a big swanky new office tower plonked onto this block, but we have to look at what is realistic. Not every developer has the resources to build as big as everyone on this forum thinks they should build, and there isn't always the market for big buildings anyways. There will always be plenty of space for large office buidlings elsewhere in the city.

#58 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 09:55 PM

There are two office towers in the planning now...one 12 to 14 story "the well" and the 14 story Gold's Gym site. Both have tenants waiting to move in.

B.C. Ferries has been looking for more space, The B.C. government is all over the place and there is still the wish to consolidate offices closer to the Leg. This block should be saved for future projects. Not 6 story condo buildings.

Heck look at the size of that call center on Keating, that could have been home to a massive narrow tower downtown.

#59 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:13 PM

I have mixed feelings about this proposal.
But what I have ask myself is whether I'd want to live in a unit any higher than what is proposed? And the answer is no. Some might, but I'd be willing to bet most wouldn't. Imagine waking to the view of a sussex office in you bedroom/ living room, whatever.
The developer made a judement call. I think I would have made the same decision.
Even if they removed all windows/ balconies from the sussex side, they's have a hell of a time having to deal with the sussex people with the blank wall they;d be faced with.
I think this one should be accepted for its height.

#60 Oxford Sutherland

Oxford Sutherland
  • 522 posts

Posted 26 October 2006 - 10:24 PM

I have mixed feelings about this proposal.
But what I have ask myself is whether I'd want to live in a unit any higher than what is proposed? And the answer is no. Some might, but I'd be willing to bet most wouldn't. Imagine waking to the view of a sussex office in you bedroom/ living room, whatever.
The developer made a judement call. I think I would have made the same decision.
Even if they removed all windows/ balconies from the sussex side, they's have a hell of a time having to deal with the sussex people with the blank wall they;d be faced with.
I think this one should be accepted for its height.

You don't think the existing planned units will be looking at the Sussex? What difference does it make if they added some more floors of the same? This building is obviously not about having a nice view.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users