Rob Wickson | Saanich Council

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#21 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

The most specific streetcar development is the Uplands, the developers I believe contributed money to the extension of the line from near Oak Bay high to the Uplands around the time of World War 1

UPLANDS STREETCAR — mid 1940s
On Dunlevy Street, leaving undeveloped Uplands

The Uplands line began in 1913 as an extension of the city's Fort Street run to the Willows.
This extension was aggressively promoted by Uplands Limited, the land development company behind the planning and marketing of — the Uplands, an upscale "garden community" subdivision.

http://www.webturf.c...streetcar.shtml
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#22 Schnook

Schnook
  • 202 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:19 PM

Rob will be attending the Saanich Civic League public forum at UVic on Oct 15.

Fixed Link

Never heard of this "Saanich Civic League," but the deck seems stacked for municipal candidates, and my antenna goes up the moment I see "combat Global Warming Climate Change" as a core plank, along with the claim of "non-partisanship" alongside Agenda 21-flavored affiliates. Yikes.

#23 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:07 AM

Thank you for fixing that link schnook.

I have no connection with the SCL. It does try to engage people in local politics particularly in Saanich by raising awareness and encouraging everyone to vote - which is a good thing. They do explain that clearly on their website.

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

http://robwickson.ca

#24 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

Hi everyone

Some information about Rob's Meet & Greet this weekend;

Rob Wickson Meet & Greet at Cadboro Bay and Ten Mile Point!

Sunday, October 16th 2:00pm - 3:00 pm at Starbucks Coffee, 3849 Cadboro Bay Road

Have a chance to meet Rob in person, share your views, concerns and how to move Saanich in the right direction. Rob will be actively engaging with citizens in & around the community, so look for him and his team!

He is also attending the Saanich Civic League event at UVic tomorrow.

Hope to see some of you vibrant victorians!

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

robwickson.ca

#25 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:27 AM

Hi Everyone

I know that one or two Vibrant Victoria members are involved in this event tomorrow. Rob Wickson is one of the panellists;

"Social Media, Citizen engagement and Municipal Politics", room C126 in the David Strong Building at the University of Victoria
Time - 6:45 to 9pm.

"the goal is to explore the use of Social Media in Municipal Election Campaigns and as 'engagement' in between elections, currently, and future possibilities. The panel is a mix of three declared municipal candidates - Rob Wickson, Aaron Hall and Lisa Helps, with two 'observers', Bernard Von Schulmann and Pamela Brown."

Feel free to copy this information on another VV forum.

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

robwickson.ca

#26 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:27 AM

Today, Rob Wickson announced that as part of his campaign promote transparency and openness, all donations made to his campaign will be shown on his website before November 19, the date of the municipal election. Under BC's Local Government Act candidates must disclose their list of donors, - including names and amounts donated within 120 days of the election. Candidates are not obliged to disclose their donations before the election. There are currently no limits on how much a contributor can provide apart from limits from anonymous contributions, or on how much a candidate, elector organization or campaign organizer can spend.

Rob said," We need a healthy democracy based on transparency and accountability - and not just in Federal and Provincial politics and we need a level playing field." said Wickson. "The regulations governing financial donations have been conveniently dormant for too long. It is time to look seriously at reforming the legislation that appears to favour incumbents and not our citizens and I am making a start down this road. I strongly encourage all my fellow candidates to join with me to begin this process because I believe the voters have a right to know before they decide who to vote for."

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

robwickson.ca

#27 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 10:15 AM

Hello Everyone

Here is another opportunity to hear both sides of the debate! I would encourage you to attend as this presentation is open to the public.

The Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C (APEGBC) Victoria Branch Presentation.

Topic: Victoria Rapid Transit Presentation. Speaker: Robert Wickson will be presenting on the topic of rapid transit in Victoria. Robert is a partner in Discovery Economic Consulting and is the President of Bike to Work Victoria. Transportation and transit are an important part of everyday life so we encourage you to invite members of the general public to attend.

Also, presenting are Todd Litman, Victoria Transport Policy Institute and Jim Hindson P.Eng.

Time: 7:00 pm. Location: Ambrosia Conference and Event Centre, 638 Fisgard Street, Victoria, BC. Cost: $10 (event is a presentation only). Limited space available at the door. Please register online.

https://secure.apeg....x?iKey=VC1NOV11

(Technical Support at 604-412-4887 during office hours, 8:30 am - 5:00 pm PST)

Start Date: Tuesday, November 01, 2011
End Date: Tuesday, November 01, 2011
Address: Ambrosia Conference and Event Centre
638 Fisgard Street
Victoria, BC

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

robwickson.ca

#28 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

^Bernard, she's calling your name!!!!

Put a stop to the madness.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#29 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

^Bernard, she's calling your name!!!!

Put a stop to the madness.

Rob and I are not arguing the issue at the moment, we disagree and know we disagree. There is nothing to be gained.

#30 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 10:23 AM

Rob will be at the first Saanich public All Candidates Meeting being held tomorrow, Wednesday Oct 26 at The Ridge Playhouse, Claremont School, 4980 Wesley Road. Meeting begins at 7pm.

Rob is looking forward to debating the issues with fellow candidates and taking questions from the public. For more information about the All Candidates Meetings go to his website robwickson.ca and click on the All Candidates link.

I hope that there are some Saanich voters out there in the Vibrant Victoria membership who might be interested in attending one of the 8 All Candidate Meetings being held in Saanich.

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

robwickson.ca

#31 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 05:58 PM

Christina, you may want to change the password to Rob Wickson's Twitter account as soon as possible (assuming that you may be running the account on behalf of Rob). We just received a message from Rob's account forwarding us to a hacking site that mirrors the look of Twitter and attempts to retrieve Twitter usernames and passwords.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#32 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 06:50 PM

Thanks Mike. We dealt with it. Lots of people contacted us. I appreciate you notifying me.

Christina

#33 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

Saanich Council has deferred the design consultation for the proposed new Craigflower Bridge until after the municipal election. This coming after the decision to build a 3 lane bridge was approved with Federal funding but without consulting the community. There is considerable outrage in the community which is not going to go away. Rob feels strongly about how Saanich has let down the community and in this new video he discusses why it's important to consider the significant implications of this proposal if it goes ahead. You can also see the video by going to his campaign website or follow the discussion on Facebook.

http://www.youtube.c...d&v=A5tuQYXrDmQ

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

robwickson.ca

#34 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 30 October 2011 - 10:04 AM

A reminder of this Rapid Transit presentation happening this week. This event is open to the public. Please note it starts at 6.30pm. Doors open at 5.45pm.

On Tuesday November 1 at 6.30pm. Rob Wickson has been been asked to speak to the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists of B.C (APEGBC) Victoria Branch about "Victoria Rapid Transit."

Also, presenting are Todd Litman, Victoria Transport Policy Institute and Jim Hindson P.Eng.

Time: 6:30 pm. Location: Ambrosia Conference and Event Centre, 638 Fisgard Street, Victoria, BC. Cost: $10. Limited space available at the door. You can register online by going to;

http://tinyurl.com/62y8flq

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

robwickson.ca

#35 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 01:32 PM

Hi Everyone

Rob has two new videos dealing with the proposed new Craigflower Bridge and speeding traffic issues on neighbourhood streets. They are on his website http://robwickson.ca

This evening Rob will be at the All Candidates Meeting at Prospect Lake Community Hall, 5358 Sparton Road. The meeting starts at 7.30pm.

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

#36 christina

christina
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Saanich candidate Rob Wickson has made an important announcement today which could lead the way to a new governance model for the greater Victoria region.

"Over the past few months it has become increasingly evident that our present system of regional government is fractured and I know there is growing discontent out there. Whether we are talking about police, fire and transportation services or land development it appears that we are failing at the fundamental level to deliver efficient well planned services that benefit the overall quality of life in the region." said Wickson.

"After the 2008 municipal election my campaign team and I began to look at how the present system of governance could be improved. We came to the conclusion that a discussion was needed that looked at a different model which was more inclusive, accountable, transparent and less bureaucratic. “Metro Victoria” or “Metro Vic” was born. In the weeks that followed I crafted the following draft mission statement for Metro Victoria."

Metro Victoria Draft Mission Statement

Metro Victoria is a new emerging group of people who are looking at defining processes that will move Metro Victoria away from the narrow confines of our existing political culture.

Metro Victoria wants to engage everyone in developing community shared values. Now is the time to ask questions that make the connection between today and tomorrow.

The region faces important issues that require unified, forward-thinking, innovative and focused solutions.

Metro Victoria's underlying principles are governed by sustainability. Sustainability is not simply an environmental proposition. Until now, decision makers have not understood the social and economic dimension. Sustainable development must take into account environmental, social and economic factors.

Metro Victoria believes that sustainable communities are vital to the future of our regional development. The region is perfectly positioned to allow for what could be described as a 'model' for the Province and perhaps the rest of Canada.

We are confident that we can develop, change and lead the way in clean energy, low carbon emissions, affordable housing, transportation and land use.

Metro Victoria is about 'thinking outside the box.' New ideas about how our communities can work without borders for common benefits will be the foundation for Metro Victoria.This is the potential of change and Metro Victoria is a community where change is possible.

“ Metro problems need Metro solutions”

Wickson said," I am dedicated to work with the community and across municipal boundaries*to build out from this mission statement to create a better governance*model because I believe we are now at a crossroads that will define the economic and sustainable future of the region. If we continue "business as usual" we will find ourselves unable to focus on the serious regional issues that face us and deliver only piecemeal solutions without any real democratic decision making and without real leadership."

Christina Mitchell

Senior Campaign Advisor

#37 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 20 November 2011 - 12:46 PM

Rob ran a great campaign and I'm disappointed he wasn't able to pick up a seat on council. I hope that he is able to build on the message he established during the 2011 campaign to run again in 2014. Thanks Rob for bringing some intelligent new ideas to the table, hopefully that council can consider during their next term.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users