Photo

Saanich hangouts

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 29 April 2012 - 10:38 PM

So I just bought a house in Maplewood/Cedar Hill, just north of the CH golf course. Yep, pretty exciting!

I don't really know my new hood at all. Other than the Monkey Tree (not very inspiring the one time I was there), what are the happening pubs and drinking establishments nearby? I suppose I could ask the same for cafes & restaurants. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Even if not near my new place, maybe this thread could also be used to list favorite Saanich haunts in other neighborhoods.
Cheers!
-Dan

#2 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 12:57 AM

Ah very good, intriguing thread title.

Mcraes and Cabin 12 I guess are new places to go. Smugglers Cove in Caddy Bay is a bit hidden. The lounge/pub at Cordova Bay golf club might not be known to some. Mike K introduced me to Red Barn Market and their inexpensive sandwiches.

Mcmorrans should be open soon.

Some people like the lounge at Royal Oak Golf Club.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:35 AM

So I just bought a house in Maplewood/Cedar Hill, just north of the CH golf course. Yep, pretty exciting!

I don't really know my new hood at all. Other than the Monkey Tree (not very inspiring the one time I was there), what are the happening pubs and drinking establishments nearby? I suppose I could ask the same for cafes & restaurants. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Even if not near my new place, maybe this thread could also be used to list favorite Saanich haunts in other neighborhoods.
Cheers!
-Dan

You're in a fairly central spot, although Oak Bay might be a bit of a trek. I'd agree that your closest places are Cabin 12 and McRae's. The Fernwood Inn and Stage are pretty close, too.
  • Olive Olio's (cafe) & Smuggler's Cove (pub) in Caddy Bay Village
  • Maude Hunter's Pub on Shelbourne near Cedar Hill X
  • 1550s on Cedar Hill X near Shelbourne
  • Applebee's (LOL!!!) in Tuscany Village
  • Boston Pizza next to University Heights Mall
  • JJ Morgans...OK, not really. But it technically is a (popular) Saanich hangout. For blue hairs.
  • Stage, Fernwood Sqaure
  • :bow:The Fernwood Inn, Fernwood Square

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:39 AM

Little Thai Place, Shelbourne Plaza.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#5 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:40 AM

What street are you on, Geek?

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 07:45 AM

For general hanging out, the Tuscany Village Starbucks deserves a mention. The large student population makes it busy at all hours and there are benches and a fountain for outdoor seating. For even more ambience, I'd second Bob's recommendation of Cadboro Bay Village where you could easily waste a couple of hours.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 11:57 AM

Urban Cup at the corner of Church and Shelbourne is good for breakfast/lunch/afternoon coffee.

#8 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The new place is on Ascot at Queensbury, literally the humble little rancher on the corner across from King's pond (the duck population is rather large...that's ok, we get along). I may comment from the real estate perspective, but I'll save that for another thread.

I forgot that Cabin 12 moved to Cedar Hill. That may be handy. And I suppose I should expect throngs of students around certain places, but that's ok too. I've driven by McRae's several times; will have to check it out.

Any wine bars or the like to recommend? The Fernwood places are great - I lived there for a while last year and enjoyed them. I was wondering if there were hidden gems in, say, the Mackenzie corridor or anything. It's probably clear that I'm partial to walking/biking/stumbling distance places.

#9 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:01 PM

Thanks for the suggestions so far.

The new place is on Ascot at Queensbury, literally the humble little rancher on the corner across from King's pond (the duck population is rather large...that's ok, we get along). I may comment from the real estate perspective, but I'll save that for another thread.

I forgot that Cabin 12 moved to Cedar Hill. That may be handy. And I suppose I should expect throngs of students around certain places, but that's ok too. I've driven by McRae's several times; will have to check it out.

Any wine bars or the like to recommend? The Fernwood places are great - I lived there for a while last year and enjoyed them. I was wondering if there were hidden gems in, say, the Mackenzie corridor or anything. It's probably clear that I'm partial to walking/biking/stumbling distance places.

I hear that Korean Gardens on Quadra @ Reynolds has great sushi & Korean fare. Not a hotspot or a hangout, but there is a good (eastern) Mediterranen deli there, too.

#10 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 May 2012 - 08:17 AM

Again, not a hangout but amazing Indian food can be found *just* north of McKenzie on Quadra at the Indian Food Market. Its take-out, call-ahead but sooo good!

http://www.indianfoo...ket.ca/location

#11 Dimitrios

Dimitrios
  • 316 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:32 PM

I just noted that this thread merited mention in the May edition of Saanich Roots, the neighborhood rag for the Quadra/Cedar Hill neighborhood association. In the p.8 article 'Food is the Heart of Every Community':

"On Vibrant Victoria someone recently asked what where good 'hangouts' near to his new home in the heart of Quadra/Cedar Hill..."

It's a nice article, by Bernard v. S. (a poster here, I presume - Bernard?). I totally agree that Saanich as a whole is a bit sparse for central community gathering areas, places where the locals go for food and drink; however, I do detect a sense of community that would be receptive to more of these.

I'd guess that Saanich's agricultural and suburban history are partly to blame for this situation, as well as what may be typical lazy car-centric development in recent decades. Bernard's suggestions sound like money to me, including being open to small-scale coffee shops in non-traditional locations, reinventing the CH Golf Course restaurant, and getting a farmer's market somewhere in the neighborhood. Are you listening, Saanich?

In other news, I brought some family members to McRae's recently and we had a very nice time. Good stuff. Anyone want to meet for a pint there at some point?
Cheers,
-Dan

#12 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:41 PM

UVic can be a good place to hang out and people watch, if you don't mind looking like Matthew McConaughey in "Dazed and Confused" (hey girls, what's up?)

The closest thing to a Cook St. Village-type of hangout is probably the La Collina coffee shop next to the busy Root Cellar market and garden centre on McKenzie. A pale imitation I know but it's not a bad place to pass the time if you're in the area.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#13 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:44 PM

I thought there was a village Centre in Saanich reminiscent of Tuscany?

#14 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:00 PM

I just noted that this thread merited mention in the May edition of Saanich Roots, the neighborhood rag for the Quadra/Cedar Hill neighborhood association. In the p.8 article 'Food is the Heart of Every Community':

"On Vibrant Victoria someone recently asked what where good 'hangouts' near to his new home in the heart of Quadra/Cedar Hill..."

It's a nice article, by Bernard v. S. (a poster here, I presume - Bernard?). I totally agree that Saanich as a whole is a bit sparse for central community gathering areas, places where the locals go for food and drink; however, I do detect a sense of community that would be receptive to more of these.

I'd guess that Saanich's agricultural and suburban history are partly to blame for this situation, as well as what may be typical lazy car-centric development in recent decades. Bernard's suggestions sound like money to me, including being open to small-scale coffee shops in non-traditional locations, reinventing the CH Golf Course restaurant, and getting a farmer's market somewhere in the neighborhood. Are you listening, Saanich?

Cheers,
-Dan

Yes, that was me that wrote that piece and it was inspired by this thread

#15 mc9

mc9
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 03:21 PM

I too, am surprised at the small amount of pubs and coffee houses around the University area -- and Camosun is there too. We all know that students love to spend their hard earned student loans on nights out! I wonder if the lack of pubs/bars is dues to controls on zoning by Saanich?

There is The Phoenix on Quadra, across from the bottle depot. I think there is also a place called Sliders? off of North Dairy or Cedar Hill. Pho Eva is a good restaurant. I think someone should open a coffee shop at the Cook and Quadra intersection.

#16 cfbnp200e

cfbnp200e
  • 78 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 08:33 AM

Sliders is gone, but Cabin 12 has relocated there.
I second the coffee request for Cook/Quadra. Was bummed seeing a cabinet place move into the vacated Spank-It - woulda loved a nice cafe de whatever.

#17 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:18 AM

I publish Saanich Community Roots. It's a side project for me but it's fun to do and it's a good opportunity for me to learn about editing / graphics / running my own business. I am a huge fan of Bernard's writing and I'm so glad he is contributing articles.

Regarding the Quadra Cedar Hill neighbourhood, I know an apartment building with commercial space has been approved for Cloverdale / Inverness. The commercial space is supposed to be for a coffee shop:

"require that the use of the commercial space be restricted to a coffee shop for a period of two (2) years following the issuance of an Occupancy Certificate for the commercial space;"

http://www.saanich.c...ug17minutes.pdf

Apparently this development is on hold for economic reasons...

I think a coffee shop near Cloverdale & Quadra would do well. Perhaps kitty corner to the Thrifty's, next to Rider's Cycles.

#18 Lover Fighter

Lover Fighter
  • 653 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 10:10 AM

I see that it's already been mentioned, but I think the Urban Cup at the corner of Church and Shelbourne is a severely underrated "hangout" spot. Gets quite busy for breakfast on weekends, but comes the closest to a hip community coffee shop / breakfast place in Saanich that I know of.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users