Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7690 replies to this topic

#2541 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,879 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

These new baggage handling facilities are being built across the entire country, not just at Victoria International.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2542 LJ

LJ
  • 12,809 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:01 PM

Hotel Mike, on 23 Nov 2015 - 11:42 AM, said:

I'm not sure that makes sense to me idd. If customs has access to my bags, in a secure area, and we never actually go to an unsecure area, why do we have to be screened again? I think it is because the TSA doesn't feel the Canadian screening system that we would have gone through at yyj is sufficient.

Now, when you go into SEA or wherever you are going to and the customs guy ask "did you pack these bags yourself and are you aware of all the contents", I now say, "well, I did when I gave it to the airline but I haven't seen it or been near it for 4 hours, so I'm just taking an educated guess here". Never plays well.

• http, sebberry and Hotel Mike like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2543 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:09 PM

Now, when you go into SEA or wherever you are going to and the customs guy ask "did you pack these bags yourself and are you aware of all the contents", I now say, "well, I did when I gave it to the airline but I haven't seen it or been near it for 4 hours, so I'm just taking an educated guess here". Never plays well.

Ha ha!

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2544 CYYJ09LD

CYYJ09LD
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:39 AM

Grumblings from SEA is Delta Connector is cutting YYJ SEA launch service in April. Apparently no longer a viable service route. Weren't impressed with the tour of YYJ. This is over the counter talk in SEA - can anyone w/ YYJ VAA connections confirm this?

Edited by CYYJ09LD, 24 November 2015 - 11:40 AM.

#2545 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:47 AM

Grumblings from SEA is Delta Connector is cutting YYJ SEA launch service in April. Apparently no longer a viable service route. Weren't impressed with the tour of YYJ. This is over the counter talk in SEA - can anyone w/ YYJ VAA connections confirm this?

You can still book April flights on Delta's website.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2546 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,879 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:17 PM

I can confirm this is a rumour. I'm actually working on a piece for Vic Intl and Geoff Dickson literally one hour ago provided the following quote:

With the introduction of the new Delta service to Seattle in April 2016 and additional passenger demand for existing routes, it is imperative that we have adequate capacity to accommodate new flights which is why our apron expansion is so critical.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2547 CYYJ09LD

CYYJ09LD
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:27 PM

I'm actually working on a piece for Vic Intl and Geoff Dickson literally one hour ago provided the following quote:

When is this report you are working on coming out, seems like the VAA has gone pretty quiet lately or just need to hire a proper media relations / social media person. 

#2548 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,879 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 09:50 PM

What are you expecting from them, exactly?

Know it all.

#2549 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:59 PM

For me, and maybe I have missed it somewhere, but how about linking the work that is very visible at the airport to the airport Master Plan.  Essentially monitoring and communicating the implementation of the plan - or components thereof.

Showing that you are actually implementing your plan is just as important as the development of your plan.  Keeps people engaged, interested, and willing to contribute in the future.

#2550 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:04 PM

I do note that there is an update on the activity at the airport on the YYJ "projects" page.  I just don't see linkages back to the Master Plan document.

#2551 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,879 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:26 AM

Here's some info to chew on.

Victoria International on track for record-breaking 1.7 million passengers in 2015

http://victoria.citi...ion-passengers/

The Victoria International Airport is on track to welcome an all-time record 1.7 million passengers in 2015, according to statistics revealed by the Victoria Airport Authority.

Between January and October of this year 1,442,125 passengers passed through the gates of British Columbia's second busiest airport, an increase of 4% compared to the same period last year. The Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) cites added flight frequency and new destinations as major growth contributors.

In order to sustain the upward trend and enable airlines to build on their presence at Victoria International, the VAA has invested in an apron expansion to accommodate additional aircraft at the passenger terminal. [Full article]

Know it all.

#2552 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:36 AM

I do note that there is an update on the activity at the airport on the YYJ "projects" page.  I just don't see linkages back to the Master Plan document.

And then the VAA would be vilified for having a six figure communications manager on payroll.

#2553 CYYJ09LD

CYYJ09LD
  • 38 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:14 PM

Things like the apron expansion project, which will be completed by spring of 2016, website says it is to be complete by the end of Nov. There is no other time lines for other phases of projects timelines. I talk to the airlines and they constantly tell me the VAA doesn't communicate with them either and when they do, it's about delays or set backs. The other issue is putting more of an effort into public notice/media like arriving early and about airline cut off times due to new screening delays. It's not a bus stop airport anymore. 

#2554 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,879 posts

Posted 26 November 2015 - 04:57 PM

Actually, this is what the website says:

Timeline: August 2015 - November 2015 (Substantially)
Complete Lighting Fixtures Installation and Operation - Spring 2016
Estimated Cost: $7.1M

http://www.victoriaa...ojects-planning

I find it a little hard to believe the airport does not communicate with the airlines. Why would they shun their breadwinners? It doesn't make sense, neither did the rumour (that we've since nipped) you mentioned you had heard from baggage/gate crew at Seatac that suggested Delta suddenly didn't like YYJ and pulled their expansion plan.

The major driver of the apron expansion is to accommodate Delta because they need to overnight an aircraft at YYJ, but the apron is at 100% capacity for overnight aircraft so VAA stepped up their expansion.

Know it all.

#2555 CYYJ09LD

CYYJ09LD
  • 38 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

Timeline: August 2015 - November 2015 (Substantially) Complete Lighting Fixtures Installation and Operation - Spring 2016

I find it a little hard to believe the airport does not communicate with the airlines. Why would they shun their breadwinners? It doesn't make sense, neither did the rumour (that we've since nipped) you mentioned you had heard from baggage/gate crew at Seatac that suggested Delta suddenly didn't like YYJ and pulled their expansion plan.

The major driver of the apron expansion is to accommodate Delta because they need to overnight an aircraft at YYJ, but the apron is at 100% capacity for overnight aircraft so VAA stepped up their expansion.

The timeline on the website must have just changed - the other day it was still showing completion at the end of Nov, this is new to me what you quoted. And yes, the airline station managers only get updates once a month and those are mainly to update on delays. 

As for SEA, yes this was counter talk as I was speaking to the point of Delta's expansion thru out the Pacific Northwest and seeing if Delta had any inclination of doing YYJ-LAX or DEN or something.

I really don't think the apron expansion is just for Delta, Pacific Coastal is now over-nighting 3 aircraft right now, United goes back to an over-nite in March with their twice daily and then you have Delta to park in April. STAR flights get priority for parking at the gate, remote spots go later after tugging to the stand. 

#2556 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,879 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

What is the normal update schedule from small airports, and what would they be updating the airlines on at a higher frequency? I'm not sure if all that much changes at YYJ that requires updates to airlines on a weekly basis, or whatnot. It's not like YVR or YYZ where things can change quickly due to the volume of passengers/airliners and the complexities of operating multiple massive terminals and facilities.

My understanding is the apron upgrade was necessary for Delta to begin operations, but it will no doubt benefit other airlines that may want to overnight. Delta's arrival at YYJ is huge and could see a nice reduction in prices for YYJ-SEA connections, theoretically.

Know it all.

#2557 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 04:35 PM

STAR flights get priority for parking at the gate, remote spots go later after tugging to the stand. 

Sorry...STAR flights?  What are those?

#2558 LJ

LJ
  • 12,809 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

^Short Turn ARound

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2559 CYYJ09LD

CYYJ09LD
  • 38 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 08:25 PM

Sorry...STAR flights?  What are those?

STAR is the first flight of the day ...

#2560 CYYJ09LD

CYYJ09LD
  • 38 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:18 PM

http://www.timescolo...eason-1.2131804

This Christmas sound like it's going to be their busiest on the books.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users