Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7992 replies to this topic

#7681 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,768 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 11:08 AM

Could it be the hotel announcement? The project was approved some time ago, but still no activity last time I was by (a couple of months ago).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7682 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 03:37 PM

Could it be the hotel announcement? The project was approved some time ago, but still no activity last time I was by (a couple of months ago).

Ground breaking for the hotel was going on the night I attended the VAA - AGM night. There was soil cut in the foundation shape with stakes and markers out all over the site with a few excavators .

Was the VV mention of the closure of the White Spot at YYJ an announcement by the VAA or word you got from Ms Brown thru a question ?

#7683 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,768 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 06:43 PM

Yeah! That was courtesy of your visit to the AGM.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7684 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 07:55 PM

AP1.jpg

AP2.jpg

AP3.jpg

• Missed Approach likes this

#7685 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,768 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:25 PM

Good job, Sparky! Thank you.

Know it all.

#7686 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:33 PM

My pleasure. I was headed to the dentist in Sidney shortly after reading about your quest for an update. Cita appears to be the contractor. Not much to see yet but at least the shovel is in the ground.
  • Mike K. and Missed Approach like this

#7687 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,363 posts

Posted 16 May 2024 - 08:34 PM

Besides aastra would be on my case if I didn’t get a wiggle on and get my camera out.
  • Mike K. likes this

#7688 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 09:54 AM

Air Canada is now seeing the hub of YOW ( Ottawa ) as a golden base as Porter has grown there in leaps and bounds over the last year.

I really hope there will be a direct link to YOW via Porter possibly 

https://canadianavia...vice-to-ottawa/

#7689 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 17 May 2024 - 10:01 PM

A large US based, industry parts distributor had their annual global company wide get together event in Victoria this week.

Close to ~400 delegates and their families. One of my friends who still works at YYJ for Alaska, said 3 of their 4 flights leaving today were at 90% from capacity to SEA with mostly conference going passengers. 

Good stats for YYJ.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#7690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,768 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 06:40 AM

Ah, so that’s who I was seeing. I was at a hotel for lunch this week and there were a lot of people dining who looked like business travellers. You can immediately tell apart US/Intl business travellers. They’re no-nonsense, ultra professional.
  • Missed Approach likes this

Know it all.

#7691 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 18 May 2024 - 12:00 PM

Flair Air is jumping early on the Winter season program release. Most airlines will release their Winter and Sun destination program around mid to late June.

Their focus seems to be the east this winter as they cut service to LAS next year.

https://canadianavia...don-saint-john/

But I had a look, and yes, YYJ this summer only gets YYC ( Calgary ) YEG ( Edmonton ) and YYZ ( Toronto ) till the fall when it teeters off.

BUT - Flair is keeping YYC service around in the fall and into Nov and till mid Dec with 3 X weekly service on their website. 

#7692 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 22 May 2024 - 08:51 PM

Stats out....

Nothing exciting in the month of April at YYJ..... bit of a soft month over all but still trending up over 2023

https://yyj.ca/wp-co...ector_Stats.pdf

https://yyj.ca/wp-co...mmary_Stats.pdf

#7693 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 56,799 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 02:59 AM

Video of baggage handlers unloading a Delta Air Lines flight and carelessly tossing luggage and golfing equipment belonging to a Tennessee university men’s golf team went viral Wednesday, prompting the airline to issue an apology and ask the team for a second chance.

The East Tennessee State University men’s golf team posted the video on X late Tuesday night. In the video, baggage handlers can be seen throwing the team’s golf clubs on the tarmac and eventually onto a transfer vehicle.

https://time.com/698...ity-golf-clubs/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 May 2024 - 02:59 AM.

#7694 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 07:43 AM

YLW, Kelowna has scored back another Mexican destination that use to be a regular winter flights south.

That makes 4  Mexican sun destinations from YLW this coming winter.

So far WJA only has PVR, CUN and LCA this winter.

No competition out of YYJ to any sun destinations on the horizon for a while. Even tho Flair serves Abbotsford with plenty of sun spots.  

https://www.aerorout...240522-wsnw24am

#7695 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,251 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 10:00 AM

Are you forgetting SJD from YYJ?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#7696 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 23 May 2024 - 11:45 AM

Are you forgetting SJD from YYJ?

Sorry - Wrong code for SJD. The IATA code.

No future LAS ( Las Vegas ) 2024/25 winter season from WJ as they drove Flair out.

#7697 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 07:45 PM

Roundabout complete earlier this week. 

https://yyj.ca/const...t-now-complete/

#7698 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,487 posts

Posted 24 May 2024 - 07:48 PM

How about a parking garage?

#7699 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 56,799 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 01:04 PM

Fatal plane crash reported near Squamish, B.C.

A fatal plane crash is being investigated near Squamish on Saturday.

The Transportation Safety Board (TSB) of Canada told CityNews that it is working with the Squamish RCMP and Coroners office after a plane crash.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2024 - 01:05 PM.

#7700 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 712 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 02:09 PM

How about a parking garage?

With Geoff gone, I think the concept with actually hit the table. With the AIF going to 25$, even better odds but the terminal needs room badly, like over 5 years ago badly.

• AllseeingEye likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users