Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7929 replies to this topic

#7701 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 05:28 PM

Kelowna airport YLW .......... moving ahead on what YYJ doesn't have.

More food options 

More parking ( structure ) 

Hotel ( 3 times larger than the one going in at YYJ )

Sneek peek at the progress with local media 

https://www.youtube....h?v=X2iDQXBCyG8

https://www.youtube....h?v=nxPeRPlDyuc

#7702 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 05:42 PM

YYJ: the red-headed stepchild of BC airports

• AllseeingEye and Missed Approach like this

#7703 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,557 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 05:48 PM

YYJ has never tried hard. It just is.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2024 - 05:48 PM.

• Missed Approach likes this

#7704 Nparker

Nparker
  • 42,023 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 05:51 PM

YYJ: not the Avis of airports

AVIS.jpg

• Missed Approach likes this

#7705 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,557 posts

Posted 25 May 2024 - 05:55 PM

YYJ: not the Avis of airports
AVIS.jpg

Car rental Seinfeld:

https://youtu.be/4T2...aWKcvauZC9BmJtI

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 25 May 2024 - 05:57 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#7706 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 26 May 2024 - 09:37 PM

Kelowna airport YLW .......... moving ahead on what YYJ doesn't have.

Wonder if Ms Brown openly wants to change that, but hasn't really come out and had the media over for tea and shared her vision for the future beyond her poorly attended  AGM

#7707 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 27 May 2024 - 11:09 PM

Interesting read 

https://www.cbc.ca/n...study-1.7216100

Also interesting to read Flair blames airport fees   ------ wonder how the newer higher airport fees YYJ charges ie, landing, terminal, parking and counter / office space affects Flair issues flying to YYJ. 

Compared to other airport in the same traffic / size.

Edited by Missed Approach, 27 May 2024 - 11:31 PM.

#7708 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 694 posts

Posted 29 May 2024 - 10:37 PM

Toronto City Airport - Billy Bishop, getting Pre US clearance 

https://canadianavia...n-preclearance/

Even at the 9th busiest and many US destinations for the business crowd, YYJ still says its cost prohibitive and low passengers numbers. 

YQB, Quebec City airport, 12th busiest in Canada stills does not have Pre Clearance either, but is still has double US destinations than YYJ and is closing in on taking 11th place from YYJ. 

Last year YQB was at 1.6 million ( +43% ) and YYJ with 1.7 million ( + 16% )

#7709 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,895 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 29 May 2024 - 11:39 PM

Wonder if Ms Brown openly wants to change that, but hasn't really come out and had the media over for tea and shared her vision for the future beyond her poorly attended  AGM

Was that because it was poorly advertised or because people simply don't care?

I haven't looked at their master or strategic plan docs in some time but as I recall in terms of airport improvements the timelines for many of them extended out to 2040 or beyond - is that still the case?

I'd hate to think a simple 3-4 level parkade - by which I mean one built very close to the main terminal not built "out there" somewhere in the "great beyond" parking lot # 2, which would make for a crappy walk in a downpour - or a terminal building extension to the east for additional check-ins, is another decade or two in the future......

• Nparker and Missed Approach like this

#7710 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 08:48 AM

There's no spot that's more than a 10 minute walk from the terminal, and most are within 5 minutes. If you're required to go to the secondary lot, you pass right by the checkin area so the rest of your party can get out right in front of the terminal with bags etc while you park the card. The standard lot has covered pedestrian walkways.

I don't know why there's so much desire to spend $ to build a parking structure. Obviously that $ will come from increased airport fees etc.

#7711 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 08:50 AM

It’s not a pleasant walk in winter. Rains with sometimes nasty wind given the flat area around there, and you’re drenched in no time. The parking lots closer to the terminal are universally full during peak travel times so you’re literally walking 500-700 meters in the pouring rain.
  • Nparker, AllseeingEye and Missed Approach like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7712 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,895 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 30 May 2024 - 09:03 AM

There's no spot that's more than a 10 minute walk from the terminal, and most are within 5 minutes. If you're required to go to the secondary lot, you pass right by the checkin area so the rest of your party can get out right in front of the terminal with bags etc while you park the card. The standard lot has covered pedestrian walkways.

I don't know why there's so much desire to spend $ to build a parking structure. Obviously that $ will come from increased airport fees etc.

Because its infinitely more efficient, not to mention smarter from a land-use standpoint, to have a single structure/smaller footprint dedicated to the automobile than an ever-expanding asphalt or gravel parking lot out to infinity? What other airport beyond the Spuzzum's or the Cache Creek's of the country does that?

And what is it about Victorians that they seem to love great big huge parking lots - you hear this all the time when people moan about Uptown and pine away for that crapulent old Town & Country strip mall which was nothing but a dreck of a development designed principally as an homage to asphalt and the concept of the One Great Big Parking Lot. 

#7713 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 2,323 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 09:05 AM

There’s absolutely no need to build an expensive parking structure when you are surrounded by acres of empty land that you can’t build anything else on…

Just add some sheltered walking routes to the far-flung lots and the job is done.
  • vortoozo likes this

#7714 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,718 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 May 2024 - 09:08 AM

Parking isn't something i would prioritize on the list of stuff to do there. It may need to be on the list, but prioritize? nah.

• vortoozo likes this

#7715 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,557 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 10:02 AM

The Klitsa has serviced the Brentwood Bay - Mill Bay route since the summer of 2011 and Hardeep Parmar has been the lone hardworking deckhand ever since. His responsibilities include discharge, charge, and loading, but also all the husbandry and check offs which include making sure all the safety equipment is up to snuff every day such as the rescue boat.

:confused: 

https://www.vicnews....in-hook-7367625

That guy must be getting some serious overtime.  Working 7am to 7pm seven days per week.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 30 May 2024 - 10:04 AM.

• lanforod likes this

#7716 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 11:32 AM

The Klitsa has serviced the Brentwood Bay - Mill Bay route since the summer of 2011 and Hardeep Parmar has been the lone hardworking deckhand ever since. His responsibilities include discharge, charge, and loading, but also all the husbandry and check offs which include making sure all the safety equipment is up to snuff every day such as the rescue boat.

He's great, always makes you feel welcome. Many Ferries employees could learn a thing or two from him.

• Victoria Watcher and max.bravo like this

#7717 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 11:35 AM

It’s not a pleasant walk in winter. Rains with sometimes nasty wind given the flat area around there, and you’re drenched in no time. The parking lots closer to the terminal are universally full during peak travel times so you’re literally walking 500-700 meters in the pouring rain.

Not worth the money for a handful of stormy days that happen to coincide with peak travel days, which are mostly when the weather is good. Yeesh.

I fly out of there approx monthly, including on long weekends. I've only even been sent to the secondary lot during the summer. I suspect that the only time that the secondary lot is often used when the weather could be poor is around the Christmas holidays. That's definitely not worth the substantial investment.

#7718 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 11:42 AM

Because its infinitely more efficient, not to mention smarter from a land-use standpoint, to have a single structure/smaller footprint dedicated to the automobile than an ever-expanding asphalt or gravel parking lot out to infinity? What other airport beyond the Spuzzum's or the Cache Creek's of the country does that?

I would recon that most regional airports in Canada don't have a parking garage, many which face much more severe weather than here. Regina, Saskatoon, Whitehorse, Yellowknife, Hamilton....

#7719 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 85,012 posts

Posted 30 May 2024 - 11:54 AM

How expensive is it to create covered walkways?

Geez Louise.
  • Victoria Watcher likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7720 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,895 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 30 May 2024 - 12:01 PM

I would recon that most regional airports in Canada don't have a parking garage, many which face much more severe weather than here. Regina, Saskatoon, Whitehorse, Yellowknife, Hamilton....

Well I wouldn't expect a parkade at airports serving populations of 20,000 people or less. Our household budget is probably bigger than those two facilities. And I never mentioned severe weather, I've travelled more times than I can count to Alberta and Regina in winter. A parkade does nothing to protect against -25C temperatures but is certainly welcome when the region is being swamped by a rainy deluge.

As to comments from others I never said it was a "priority" but it would be a convenient, very nice to have feature not to mention a step up from Podunk or Mayberry or Tofino.....

Halifax which I would posit is a much better comparison to YYJ both population-size and market wise than airports in the north serving very small centers, or Hamilton with its 800,000 residents, has a great parkade literally bolted onto the main terminal. Walk through two sets of double doors and you're practically at your vehicle.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users