Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7688 replies to this topic

#2621 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 04:43 PM

Well at least they are not building a shopping centre.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2622 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:56 PM

lost-airmen.jpg

Victoria International Airport and “The Lost Airmen of the Empire” Monument at Patricia Bay’s “Hospital Hill”

Victoria Airport Authority (VAA) is pleased to announce the commission of “The Lost Airmen of the Empire “sculptural monument at Hospital Hill honouring the Allied Airmen who gave their lives at the Patricia Bay Air Station during the Second World War.   Victoria Sculptor Illarion Gallant will commence work on this project in Spring 2016 with completion in September 2016.

Hospital Hill, located along Mills Road on the North side of the airport, was home to the medical facilities for the Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) Station Patricia Bay during the Second World War.

On October 22, 1939 the first Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF) aircraft arrived at Patricia Bay flown by George Walter Du Temple with crewman Corporal W.S. (Rusty) Hopper.

This monument was selected by the VAA and a group of citizens who formed a working group that had the common goal of increasing the awareness of the proud military history of the airport.  Approximately 1,000 salvaged bricks from the previously demolished military administration building have been saved and will be incorporated into the project.  This new display at Hospital Hill will recognize and honour those who gave their lives while serving at the airport during the Second World War.

A Hospital Hill Commemorative Working Group made up with a representatives from the du Temple family, The District of North Saanich Council Heritage Advisory Committee, a North Saanich Councillor, two local area historians, and the VAA was formed to select a design and guide the project.

“I applaud the VAA for establishing the working group and for assisting its dedicated members to develop and choose a fitting tribute to the men and women who served in Canadian Armed Forces at the airport during the Second World War “said Wallace (Wally ) George du Temple.

The main feature of this sculptural work will be 25 – 12 foot high Corten Steel Cooper’s Hawk Feathers.  The Cooper’s Hawk is a predator known for its extraordinary agility in flight and ferocity in hunting.  The names of the lost airmen will be water jet cut into the feathers.

The area surrounding the monument will be landscaped.  A row of red maples will stand on either side of the path leading to the memorial and interpretive signage.  Seating areas will feature the saved bricks from the RCAF headquarters.  The central seating area will also hold a time capsule where community members can place sealed letters they have written to Veterans.

“Growing up in Post War Toronto (Scarborough), my neighbourhood was made up of immigrants, including my parents, from war torn Europe.  Memories of the Second World War created a quiet background to the hope and optimism of starting a new life in Canada.  The presence of Veterans and their memories from both World Wars were an indelible influence in my early life.  “The Lost Airmen of the Empire” has given me the opportunity to create a visual dialogue which articulates the community’s heartbreak for those who sacrificed their life for what they believed in.  Their country,” Sculptor Illarion Gallant. 

“Our goal is to recognize the pivotal role that Victoria International Airport played during the Second World War by honouring those who lost their lives while training for their duties.  We look forward to seeing Illarion bring his concept to life and to adding this unique feature to the multi‐use community path, The Flight Path,” said Geoff Dickson, VAA President and CEO.

Nationally recognized, Illarion Gallant has work across Canada and in Europe.  Locally his work includes the Aluminum Arbutus Sculpture “Bowker Accord” at the Fort Street Medical Building, the Granite Avocados at the Grand Pacific Hotel,” “Commerce Canoe” in Bastion Square and Bouquet of Memories” at the Victoria International Airport Air Terminal Building.  Nationally his work includes “Rock Water Reeds,” in Richmond, “When the Bulrushes Out” in Calgary and “Tom Thomson’s Canoe” in Toronto.

Illarion and his wife Twyla Rusnak maintain a Landscape Architecture and Public Art Practice in Victoria, British Columbia.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2623 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 May 2016 - 05:06 PM

http://news.national...-the-first-time

That's quite the piece of engineering.

Antonov An-225 Mriya: Video shows the moment world’s biggest plane touches down in Australia for the first time

It delivered a power generator for a mine, from Czech.  That's something you'd think could come by ship.

• Dr. Barillas likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2624 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 01:36 PM

From Niagara-on-the-Lake to Toronto in 8 minutes: Region pitches Porter Airlines on commuter flight to Toronto

http://business.fina...ight-to-toronto

#2625 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:42 AM

Could you endure the world’s longest nonstop flight? Find out who’s king of the long haul

http://news.national...__lsa=a9cd-d96e

#2626 Coopershawk

Coopershawk
  • 120 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:05 AM

Anyone know what's being built at the entrance to YYJ?

#2627 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 06:26 AM

At the terminal or somewhere on the property?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2628 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,185 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 07:09 AM

Anyone know what's being built at the entrance to YYJ?

It looked to me like additional parking.

#2629 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:37 AM

Here's the full scoop:

Parking lot expansion at Victoria International underway; ruptured water line work progressing

http://victoria.citi...rk-progressing/

Construction has begun on a $3.75 million parking lot expansion at Victoria International Airport (VIA).

325 new spaces will be created on excess land immediately to the south of the main parking area made available following the realignment of Willingdon Road some five years ago.

James Bogusz, Victoria Airport Authority's Vice-President of Operations and Development, says the project will also improve pedestrian and cyclist access to VIA's passenger terminal.

"We're not only adding more parking for our passengers, we now have the opportunity to extend a connection from Willingdon Road to the passenger terminal for users of the Flight Path bicycle trail recently built around the perimeter of the airport. What's great about this is if cyclists or pedestrians need to use the facilities at the terminal, or stop and grab a coffee, they will be able to do so without having to cut through fields or walk along the road," Bogusz said. [Full article]

Know it all.

#2630 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 10:52 AM

Sounds like the airport is taking a page out of James Bay's playbook, and rapidly densifying.

• Nparker likes this

#2631 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,417 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 June 2016 - 01:01 PM

How easy will it be to walk from the airport terminal to Sidney? A 30 minute stroll? Google maps tells me its 43 min now.

• Nparker likes this

#2632 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,866 posts

Posted 17 June 2016 - 03:11 PM

Once the new pedestrian overpass is built as part of Sidney Gateway that'll shave a good 10 mins from that walk. Either way, you're covering quite a lot of ground from the terminal to downtown Sidney.
  • 57WestHills likes this

Know it all.

#2633 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 11:38 AM

Interesting news out of Viking this morning:

http://ottawacitizen...craft-operation

Viking Air Limited has purchased Bombardier’s amphibious aircraft operation.

The deal includes the Bombardier CL-415 waterbomber and its variants, as well as the earlier CL-215 and CL-215T

Versions, Viking officials said Monday.

The transaction will see Viking acquire the manufacturing rights for all

variants of Bombardier’s amphibious aircraft, and assume responsibility for product support, parts and service for the fleet of some 170 waterbombers in service with 21 operators in 11 countries around the world, Viking noted.

The work will be done at a 50,000 square foot facility in Calgary. Terms of the transaction were not disclosed.

“This acquisition expands Viking’s capabilities in product support and parts into another vital niche aviation segment, and ensures that a unique and important Canadian innovation stays in Canada,” David Curtis, President and Chief Executive Officer of Viking, said in a statement.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2634 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,819 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:37 PM

Just because it seems odd. For the second time in a month I have been in Vancouver and having small talk with someone in the service industry and I say I am on my way to the airport. They say oh where you off to. I say Victoria and they say, there is an airport there? I though you had to take a ferry.

What kind of podunk town do they think is over here?
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#2635 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 01:41 PM

Just because it seems odd. For the second time in a month I have been in Vancouver and having small talk with someone in the service industry and I say I am on my way to the airport. They say oh where you off to. I say Victoria and they say, there is an airport there? I though you had to take a ferry.

What kind of podunk town do they think is over here?

Well, it's only 50km from YVR to YYJ, maybe people think it's odd to even have flights that short.

#2636 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,819 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 02:27 PM

I can hope that it would be that well thought out.

It has a whole new look!

#2637 Jacques Cadé

Jacques Cadé
  • 942 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:02 PM

Victoria is to Vancouver as BC is to Ontario and Canada is to the US: we hear about everything they do, and they barely know we exist.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#2638 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

Well, it's only 50km from YVR to YYJ, maybe people think it's odd to even have flights that short.

The YVR to YYJ "pond hop" would seem like an eternity when compared to this pond hop.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwyVWaCAD2A

#2639 insanelydeadlydisease

insanelydeadlydisease
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 05:09 PM

Color me surprised that someone in a low end job is clueless.

#2640 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,819 posts

Posted 20 June 2016 - 06:11 PM

While we are on about yyj, does the new parking plan include extensions to the rain covers for walking in?

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users