• 41,081 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 08:53 AM

new leaf.JPG

#2742 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:40 AM

Well NewLeaf took off today, that's a good sign.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...ilton-1.3693809

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2743 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,417 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 25 July 2016 - 09:45 AM

Hmm, re Spinnakers food, I've only had the breakfast wrap, which I've found huge, and satisfying. Fairly basic, just a wrap with a lot of eggs, salsa and spinach. I've had it twice, so was worth a repeat. Never did fly out of YYJ when the old service was around, so I can't compare. 

If Timmies was on the air-side, they'd get a ton of business. As it isn't now, many departing passengers don't go there, as they can't take drinks through security, and, not knowing how long security is, wants to get through security first before grabbing food.

Edited by lanforod, 25 July 2016 - 09:46 AM.

#2744 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 July 2016 - 10:21 AM

^ I do find it weird that there are three food/drink options outside security (Sbux, Timmies, White Spot) and only one inside (Spinnakers). 

I like Spinnakers but the lineups can be brutal, especially on early Toronto direct flights, and more options is never a bad thing (even Tim Hortons which I'm not a big fan of).

Edited by thundergun, 25 July 2016 - 10:22 AM.

#2745 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 12:33 PM

We've certainly reached capacity for a second airside cafe or restaurant. It's getting pretty hectic now, especially in the summer months.

I wouldn't be surprised if 2016 ended with 1.8 million passengers. Last year saw 1.71 million.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2746 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:01 PM

The last couple of times I was at YYJ this month the place was slammed. I wonder if they could add another restaurant upstairs somewhere?

#2747 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:28 PM

So, with Flair Air....err I mean New leaf....we can fly round trip to Winnipeg for $298 and Edmonton for $178, which is really good.

But, we can only travel on Wednesdays and Saturdays out of YYJ, which obviously isn't the greatest. Kind of makes it tricky to pull off the weekend visit to grandma's house.

#2748 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

It's a pretty hefty fee just for a carry-on at New Leaf.  You can bring a purse or man-bag that goes under the seat for free.

Look I'd be happy with a rack of submarine sandwiches and a cold can of pop.... if I can avoid a line.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2749 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 July 2016 - 03:47 PM

Look I'd be happy with a rack of submarine sandwiches and a cold can of pop.... if I can avoid a line.

1bc76b717ececdae525b1b15457ad3f0.jpg

See, I'd just go for that.  Quick, easy for them to keep it stocked.

• Matt R. likes this

#2750 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 July 2016 - 10:18 AM

So there is a pretty loud propeller-driven plane that looks like it's coming from Seattle direction, many late evenings (11 or 11:30) and it looks like it's headed to YYJ.  I've never really seen it since it's dark, just heard it and seen the lights often, it's flying at best 4,000 ft.

Anybody know what that might be?  A regular cargo route?

EDIT:  Oh, I see, it could be the Horizon Air coming in at 11:49pm, sounds about right.  Seems loud for a DH8.

https://www.flightra...ts/yyj#arrivals

#2751 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 August 2016 - 06:20 PM

http://dailyhive.com...minal-expansion

Vancouver International Airport racing towards capacity, planning massive terminal expansion

Canada’s second busiest and largest airport is poised to experience another consecutive record breaking year for the number of passengers that travel through the airport. Vancouver International Airport (YVR) clocked 10.5 million passengers during the first half of 2016 from January to 2016, representing an 8.5% increase over the same period last year.

This comprises of a 13.7% increase in international traffic, 7.6% increase in domestic traffic, and a 3.8% increase in transborder traffic to and from the United States.

#2752 CYYJ09LD

CYYJ09LD
  • 38 posts

Posted 04 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

YVR's market gain, is YYJ's loss. With WestJet and Air Canada pouring themselves into increased frequency between markets already being served YYJ' loses WJA service quietly slowly. Went digging to see if maybe they had left out any new bones for YYJ and found nothing. NO HNL, LAS or PHX. Figured with NewLeaf, WJA would looking to cover those runs to YWG and increase YEG as their typical knee jerk reaction to anyone driving on the same street paved in teal and white. The line up for the YVR Encore/Jazz shuttle seems to get longer and longer. 

#2753 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:02 PM

2016 yields record-breaking passenger volumes at Victoria International Airport

http://victoria.citi...tional-airport/

Victoria International Airport has welcomed a record-breaking volume of passengers throughout the first six months of 2016, according to statistics published by the Victoria Airport Authority.

Between January and June of this year a total of 859,661 passengers passed through the gates of British Columbia’s second busiest airport representing a rise of 5.4% over the same period last year.

Victoria Airport Authority’s Vice-President of Operations and Development, James Bogusz, attributes passenger growth to Calgary-based WestJet Airline’s introduction of its Encore subsidiary, an expansion of Richmond-based Pacific Coastal Airline’s route network and an overall rise in domestic travel to and from the capital region.

“The growth has been primarily related to domestic passengers with Westjet Encore playing a big part in that with service from Victoria to Vancouver. There is also just a general strength in existing domestic routes and it always helps when airlines like Pacific Coastal are offering service to new markets such as Kelowna and Prince George,” Bogusz said. [Full article]

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2754 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 05 August 2016 - 01:47 PM

Maybe when they double the size of the main lounge area behind security we will get more food?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2755 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 06:38 AM

NewLeaf beats expectations
Mike Youds - Aug 11, 2016 / 6:23 am | St

Dacko's experience in the airline industry goes back a long way, including several years as head of marketing for Malaysia Airlines and before that as director of marketing for Air Canada Vacations.

A lot of airlines have tried to come into Kamloops with lower airfares than Air Canada or WestJet but haven’t been able to put enough “bums in seats” as they say in the industry. Some lasted only a few weeks, others a season. What makes Dacko think NewLeaf will be any different?

NewLeaf, he said, will succeed where others have failed because its business model is based on operating costs that fit the low-fare structure, and because it serves a different market than the big guys. It’s not taking business away from them but if they want to compete with NewLeaf head-on on ultra-low fares, “We’re saying bring it on.”

As for ski season, he expects that to bring in a lot of new NewLeaf customers. The winter schedule, which starts Oct. 2, will be announced in a few days. And more flights will be added for the Christmas season.

The aircraft are 737s operated by Flair Airlines of Kelowna on behalf of NewLeaf, which also lands in Kelowna, Saskatoon, Regina, Winnipeg, Moncton and Halifax.  The Kamloops flights operate Wednesdays and Saturdays to Victoria and Edmonton, with easy connections elsewhere, Dacko said.

If you board a NewLeaf flight in Kamloops or Abbotsford right now you might see Canadian North written on the side of the plane because it’s being rented by Flair Air, but NewLeaf’s gold and blue emblem will eventually be painted on all the aircraft.

Canadian North has 15 or so 737's, it appears.

https://en.wikipedia.../Canadian_North

#2756 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 August 2016 - 03:25 PM

Maybe when they double the size of the main lounge area behind security we will get more food?

Why wait for that when there is room for a few food trucks out in the parking lot.

• todd likes this

#2757 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2016 - 11:20 AM

A family was turned away from the New Leaf counter at YYJ this weekend, they did not have proof of age for their 5 and 8-year olds.  No word if they got a refund, but they did not get to fly.

This policy is different from Air Canada, where those under-18 travelling with adults do not require any documentation to travel domestically.

Odd.

#2758 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,870 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:48 AM

Sure they do, they are expected to present a birth certificate or non-government ID like a student card if requested by the agent. Travel outside of Canada requires a passport for all passengers.

If NewLeaf requires that all passengers are vetted, that is the norm. What is abnormal is for an agent not to request identification for a child boarding their aircraft. I mean, consider the issue of a child being abducted or smuggled.

Know it all.

#2759 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 09:56 AM

Sure they do, they are expected to present a birth certificate or non-government ID like a student card if requested by the agent. 

For domestic travel, AC does not require it for under 18, but they suggest it might be helpful.

http://www.aircanada...fant-child.html

If the kids are 5 and 8, they are not even going to ask.  It's when kids get up to the "look like 18+" they can get more questions.

#2760 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 10:02 AM

What is abnormal is for an agent not to request identification for a child boarding their aircraft. I mean, consider the issue of a child being abducted or smuggled.

Smuggled within Canada?  We do not patrol our provincial road or water borders for child smugglers.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

2 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Missed Approach, Daveyboy