Victoria rental housing market and related issues discussion

• Please log in to reply
1896 replies to this topic

#321 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:03 AM

This home on Caledonia just got torn down a couple, weeks back.

File_000 (10).jpeg

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#322 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:11 AM

Yeah I noticed that the other day.  Any idea what they'll build?  Just another house?  Originally the two houses were being sold together.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#323 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:26 AM

How did I miss this? It's practically in my back yard! IMHO all 4 of these "Victorian" homes are well past their prime and should be torn down and the lots consolidated for a new and denser development.

Capture.JPG

The one that was torn down was beyond salvaging and other than the grey one the other 2 are pretty much trash anyway.

#324 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:26 AM

The remaining one is a rental with 2 units up and down quite a bit of work needed on it not a great rental home

#325 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

This would be cool.

slide2.jpg

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#326 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:27 AM

The remaining one is a rental with 2 units up and down quite a bit of work needed on it; not a great rental home

Agreed. It looks better in the above photo than in 'real life'.

#327 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:28 AM

How did I miss this? It's practically in my back yard! IMHO all 4 of these "Victorian" homes are well past their prime and should be torn down and the lots consolidated for a new and denser development.

The one that was torn down was beyond salvaging and other than the grey one the other 2 are pretty much trash anyway.

Sounds like NParker only moves south of North Park.  You need to get out a bit more!

In fairness, on my walk the other day, I also noticed a pair of neat new twin houses on Green Street I never saw before.

I think they replaced this single one.

https://www.google.c...!7i13312!8i6656

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-07-13 12-30-36.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#328 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:29 AM

This would be cool.

slide2.jpg

Make it so.

#329 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:32 AM

^ ^ oh, here they are, 2200 sq. ft.:

http://preferredhome...etails-49140978

This Brand New home offers 3 bedrooms and 3 bathrooms on the main, plus a legal 1 bedroom suite down.

43924bf648aaf9baab120b425b1424b1.jpeg

#330 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:34 AM

Make it so.

I'd like to see some experimenting with minimal setbacks.

• Nparker likes this

#331 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:05 PM

Thousands of purpose-built rental units earmarked for Victoria and southern Vancouver Island

http://victoria.citi...ncouver-island/

A combined total of 1,200 purpose-built rental apartments are currently under construction throughout metropolitan Victoria, according to data collected by Citified.

Of those homes, approximately 309 are part of affordable housing initiatives aimed at a wide spectrum of income brackets.

Although Victoria’s vacancy rate has traditionally been in the 2-3% range — considered low by industry standards — the region’s current 0.6% availability has placed tremendous pressure on tenants seeking rental housing across the region. And unlike in years prior, demand for rental housing continues to far outpace availability as would-be homeowners remain in rentals in light of rising real-estate prices. [Full article]

• Mr Cook Street likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#332 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:18 PM

post-96-0-50062900-1468437826.jpg

Wow. I could not disagree more about these houses. These are gems*. This is the kind of stuff that gives the neighbourhoods their historic flavour. You like the grey one because it's in such good shape? So spiffy up the yellow one and the blue one and you've got a beautiful row of old houses there (but with a new house in the middle of them, which is fine, except you just know it's probably going to be yet another brown & grey box house).

*except the one that was torn down

Edited by aastra, 16 August 2016 - 12:19 PM.

• A Girl is No one likes this

#333 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:30 PM

...This is the kind of stuff that gives the neighbourhoods their historic flavour...

And the kind of density that leads to a 0.6% vacancy rate. These places are a rundown mess and not worth the money spent to restore them in an area where greater density needs to be taking place. I stand by my comments.

#334 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:34 PM

Any idea what the rough rental population is? Not sure if there is any kind of stats for that, though the census must speak to that? 

So, 1200 rental units is great for the region, but does that even make a dent in the vacancy rate? Or does 1200 new rental units bump the vacancy rate to 10%. I really have no idea.

Thousands of purpose-built rental units earmarked for Victoria and southern Vancouver Island

http://victoria.citi...ncouver-island/

A combined total of 1,200 purpose-built rental apartments are currently under construction throughout metropolitan Victoria, according to data collected by Citified.

Of those homes, approximately 309 are part of affordable housing initiatives aimed at a wide spectrum of income brackets.

Although Victoria’s vacancy rate has traditionally been in the 2-3% range — considered low by industry standards — the region’s current 0.6% availability has placed tremendous pressure on tenants seeking rental housing across the region. And unlike in years prior, demand for rental housing continues to far outpace availability as would-be homeowners remain in rentals in light of rising real-estate prices. [Full article]

#335 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:36 PM

Why doesn't the City try hyper-density somewhere and see how few people complain about the result?

We could build a nice L-shaped tower that covers 2 sides of View Towers.  Who is going to complain about that? 

And I dare say we could get 1000 units in it.

• Nparker likes this

#336 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:38 PM

...We could build a nice L-shaped tower that covers 2 sides of View Towers.  Who is going to complain about that? ...

Or an "O" shaped building that completely encircles View Towers so it becomes hidden from the rest of the city.

• VicHockeyFan, North Shore, Mr Cook Street and 1 other like this

#337 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:39 PM

Or an "O" shaped building that completely encircles View Towers so it becomes hidden from the rest of the city.

Well, you'd have to take up streets.

#338 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:43 PM

Sorry, Lunds.

screenshot-www.google.ca 2016-08-16 13-41-25.png

#339 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,761 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:53 PM

Well, you'd have to take up streets.

I think it would be worth it.  :P

#340 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:54 PM

Try hyperdensity on the fringe of downtown to help avoid initial backlash. I'm thinking Between Douglas, Blanshard, north of Caledonia and South of Bay. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users