Victoria Harbour Authority Issues

• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#121 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:15 PM

But is it a valid venue for discussion when a proponent is barely able to convey his message?

It took six years for Dave Chard to start development of his James Bay project. Six. Years. He nearly gave up as did the previous two proponents on that lot but he managed to stick through it.

Six years.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#122 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:25 PM

Dave is a "Cool Hand Luke"

5 minutes with this guy is better than a lifetime with most.

He likes to be refered to as "a reliable source".

#123 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:33 PM

But is it a valid venue for discussion when a proponent is barely able to convey his message?

It took six years for Dave Chard to start development of his James Bay project. Six. Years. He nearly gave up as did the previous two proponents on that lot but he managed to stick through it.

Six years.

I'm not clear on your point.  If of the people who care, most did not like Dave Chard's buildings, than I don't care if he spends 1000 years trying to get them through, the NA is doing its job.  If the NA is not doing its job, as people here seem to imply, then the residents of JB should do something about it.  

If the other point is being made - namely that resident's associations should not be able to fence off their own turf from development - then I guess I disagree that this is currently a problem.  The NAs are just advisory, and the council can overrule them anytime they want.  So if everyone else in Victoria says JB needs gondolas then gondolas they will get.

I'm not saying JBNA is reasonable - I'm just saying that if they are unreasonable the people of JB should do something about it.

Edited by jklymak, 16 December 2013 - 03:34 PM.

#124 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:49 PM

The issue is that the City has made the NA's a defacto part of any project approval process. Proponents must meet with them and the City will not let a proposal go through that has not been through that process. Each council member is made a liaison with one of the NA's which reinforces their position as part of the process with city hall. That all said most people that live in a neighbourhood have little or no knowledge that there is a NA and that they have a strong voice in front of the City. A good example is the Hillside-Quadra NA which has the Neighbourhood Action Group (NAG) which is almost invisible unless people know they exist. Overall they do a good job compared to other NA's but it is likely that few know where or when the meetings are and if they do the clique of established members is a daunting group to go up against. When I lived in James Bay the idea of attending a JBNA meeting was certainly a scary thought. As to what can be done tying funding to membership would be a good idea but it is unlikely to get through council as some members have a strong affiliation with the established NA's.

• Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#125 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

Way too democratic.

Neighbourhood associations are comprised of individuals who no longer have the interests of the neighbourhood in mind but an agenda.

Whoa Mike. Before you generalize community associations, have a look at our association. VHF we do not rely on municipal funding. I was there last Wednesday where the community came together to listen as to why the CRD is about to shove an incinerator up our butts.

pldca sewage meeting.JPG

We have our own real estate and we do not rely on anybody but ourselves.

hall.jpg

#126 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 06:42 PM

^The reason you came together is that something some of you didn't want was happening in your neighbourhood, and as soon as that project is dealt with most people will have little or no involvement with the NA. But there will be two or three or ten who have now tasted some power and will remain very much involved in the NA and start to drive their own agenda without the rest of the community knowing much about it.

I was the chairman of one NA and involved deeply in another one so I have some experience here. At one point the "agenda" people would selectively inform residents about meetings so that only like minded individuals would show up, not very democratic at all.

• Mike K., Nparker and tedward like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#127 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 December 2013 - 10:58 PM

Whoa Mike. Before you generalize community associations, have a look at our association. VHF we do not rely on municipal funding. I was there last Wednesday where the community came together to listen as to why the CRD is about to shove an incinerator up our butts.

attachicon.gifpldca sewage meeting.JPG

We have our own real estate and we do not rely on anybody but ourselves.

attachicon.gifhall.jpg

City of Victoria NA's may differ from Saanich NA's when it comes to funding.

But that aside, what I'm saying is people join NA's when they oppose something. Unfortunately to the detriment of this city some of the individuals who joined in opposition to one project or plan remain on the NA and continue to oppose virtually everything that comes before them.

And as G-man mentioned, the City of Victoria thinks highly of projects that receive NA approval. Without that approval councillors often worry about approving something the "electorate" disproves of.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#128 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

IMG_9617.jpg

• Mike K., gumgum and sebberry like this

#129 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:51 PM

^ Whoa..... Nice shot Bingo. Wonderful day to take the Brownie out eh?

#130 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:29 AM

Press release from the Harbour Authority:

Media are invited to the rededication of the Chief Henry Hunt Pole in Victoria’s Inner Harbour hosted by Chief Tony Hunt & Greater Victoria Harbour Authority!

Kwakwaka'wakw artist and Hereditary Chief Tony Hunt recently completed the refurbishment of the Hunt Pole (c. 1966), carved by his father renowned artist Henry Hunt. A rededication ceremony including traditional dancing and singing will be held to celebrate the Hunt Pole.

When: January 14, 2014 @ 9am

Where: Hunt Pole at the Corner of Belleville & Government

Who: Chief Tony Hunt, Chief Ron Sam (Songhees Nation), Chief Andy Thomas (Esquimalt Nation) and government officials will be on-hand to celebrate the rededication

Photo & Interview opportunities: Tony Hunt and other dignitaries will be available to discuss the history of the pole and the work involved in refurbishing a totem pole

Interesting facts

·         The pole, carved by Henry Hunt, was installed in 1966 as one of 22 totem poles known as the Route of the Haida

·         Tony Hunt is the grandson of famed First Nations artist Mungo Martin

·         The pole is a Haida-style pole, carved by a Kwakwaka'wakw artist installed in South Coast Salish territory

·         Refurbishment included structural upgrades, replacement of carved elements and repainting with traditional colours

Know it all.

#131 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 12:06 PM

Those poles are and were located along highways throughout the Province and were put up to commemorate Van Isle joining BC

Other ones from the Series that are located in the Victoria area can be found at Portage Inlet beside the highway where the pullout and parking lot used to be before they widened the highway.

There is one at Sidney across from Anacortes ferry dock , another inside the Swartz Bay ferry Terminal Building and the one at the Malahat Summit.

A few years ago I took photos of most of them.

Some are missing in the past couple years , Nanaimo and Qualicum Beach ones seem to have been taken down for lack of maintenance.

The nicest ones in my opinion are the inner harbour one and the one on the side of the highway near Port McNeill

• Sparky likes this

#132 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 January 2014 - 03:14 PM

AMY USEN - 70' trawler built in 1966

IMG_9921.jpg

#133 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 19 January 2014 - 12:33 PM

The Amy Usen has been at that dock for years. I wonder what the ship pays for moorage. I assume once the bridge and Norther Junk are done, that dockage won't be available anymore. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#134 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 April 2014 - 07:57 AM

It's not really a Harbour Authority issue, but the Coho has been given a 2-year lease extension by the Ministry.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#135 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 10:10 AM

DVBA reports:

We would like to extend a big downtown welcome to the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority. As of April 6, GVHA has consolidated its corporate and marina operations in a new location at 1019 Wharf Street (formerly Microsoft). The corporate office was previously located at Ogden Point. The new location condenses office space, reduces travel between facilities and provides a convenient downtown location for clients.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#136 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 11 April 2014 - 11:03 AM

I think that's a great location for the GVHA offices. We can expect they'll be long term tenants.

Has anyone noticed that Transport Canada has stopped the Victoria Harbour taxi boats from going straight across from Fisherman's Wharf to the Songhees? Now they have to go towards the new customs docks and cut over where a new green and white marker is. It must cost the taxi extra fuel and time.

#137 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:19 AM

The "Seven J's" rolled into town yesterday. You can rent it for $155,000 per week.

10322709_793799097306431_578141534706030

#138 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 09:53 AM

I don't think I could fit my chopper on the back :(

Know it all.

#139 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:02 AM

I don't think I could fit my chopper on the back :(

Your motorcycle?

#140 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:05 AM

I gather the Harbour Authority has announced that it will not institute shore power to the cruise ships.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users