• Please log in to reply
294 replies to this topic

#141 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

Here goes...

MEDIA RELEASE: SCRUBBER TECHNOLOGY SUPERCEDES SHORE POWER AS PREFERRED OPTION FOR OGDEN POINT

Substantial Investment Deemed Unsuitable for Victoria

Victoria, British Columbia: Greater Victoria Harbour Authority (GVHA) is committed to protecting and improving the air quality in and around Victoria’s harbour. GVHA has been assessing the feasibility and air quality impact of shore power for plugging cruise ships into the electrical grid in Victoria. Given recent advancements and investments in new on-board technology and the implementation of regulations to improve air quality, installing shore power is not an effective solution for Ogden Point.

“Environmental protection is a priority for GVHA and we are committed to working with the cruise industry and federal regulators to mitigate air quality impacts,” said President & Chief Executive Officer, Curtis Grad. “The best solution to meet regulatory requirements and protect local air quality, both in port and at berth, is on-board scrubber technology. Shore power is a very cost prohibitive investment with limited benefits for ports-of-call like Victoria.”

Air quality monitoring in James Bay demonstrates that elevated levels of sulphur dioxide (SO2), although infrequent, generally occur when ships are maneuvering in and out of port under their own engine power. As such, shore power only has a positive impact when ships are already berthed. Federal regulators have mandated changes within the industry through the creation of the North American Emissions Control Area (ECA). The ECA requires the use of lower sulphur fuels, or equivalent means such as scrubber technology, to meet prescribed emissions targets. Technological advancements will ensure continuity of good air quality while ships are within the vicinity of Victoria harbour, not just at berth. Other factors that affect the viability of shore power include shorter length-of-stays in Victoria, as a port-of-call versus home ports, the time required to plug the ships in when at berth and the potential for reduced flexibility of the facility to accommodate next generation vessels in the future.

At an estimated cost of $9.5+ million, one side of one pier at Ogden Point could be outfitted, servicing less than one third of total cruise calls. The benefits are limited relative to cost and effectiveness.

“Industry commitments to cleaner fuel and on-board scrubber technology have eclipsed shore power as a viable air quality strategy for Victoria,” Grad continued. “Given that the vast majority of cruise ships operating in the Pacific Northwest will be equipped with on-board scrubbers by the end of 2015, it is not prudent to invest scarce financial resources at Ogden Point for marginal benefit.”

Scrubber Technology

Scrubbers are the term used to describe marine exhaust gas cleaning systems which remove sulphur oxides from ships’ engines and boiler exhaust gases. Although there are different designs, the major elements of the systems network are:

·         The exhaust stream from an engine or boiler is thoroughly mixed with water (salt or fresh)

·         An onboard treatment plant removes pollutants from the wash water after the scrubbing

·         Sludge handling facilities in port

Along with reducing 98% of SO2 emissions, scrubbers also eliminate 80% of particulate matter.[1] Research suggests there’s a net CO2 benefit from the use of high sulphur fuel oil with exhaust gas cleaning systems.[2]

Over the past year, the main cruise lines calling in Victoria have announced their commitment to install scrubbers on many of their ships. Carnival Corporation, which owns Princess Cruise Lines, Holland America Line and Carnival Cruise Lines, has announced it is installing scrubbers on 38 of its vessels from those three brands. Royal Caribbean International has six working ships in line for scrubber installations. Norwegian Cruise Lines has also committed to scrubber technology and was the first to have scrubbers on new builds.

“Cruise Line Industry Association members have invested hundreds of millions of dollars to develop and implement new technologies that help to reduce air emissions and protect air quality in the communities where cruise ships operate,” said Greg Wirtz, CLIA-NWC President. “CLIA member lines are in the process of developing and deploying exhaust gas scrubbers to reduce sulphur emissions from ships’ engines and to develop engines that run more efficiently and with reduced emissions.”

Resources:

Exhaust Gas Cleaning Systems Association: Technical information about scrubbers:

http://www.egcsa.com...leaning-system/

Cruise Line Industry Association – North West & Canada: Industry association perspective

Greg Wirtz, President, 604-681-9515

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#142 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:01 PM

Would it be cheaper if Pam's windmill was on site generating power?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#143 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 12:09 PM

:)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#144 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 29 May 2014 - 10:12 PM

If I were feeling cynical my take on this would be to contrast the way we communicate with James Bay NIMBYs and others about how important and vital the cruise ship industry is to Victoria, with the statement that shore power isn't very useful, because most of the ships are only in port for a few hours anyway.

#145 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:53 PM

If I were feeling cynical my take on this would be to contrast the way we communicate with James Bay NIMBYs and others about how important and vital the cruise ship industry is to Victoria, with the statement that shore power isn't very useful, because most of the ships are only in port for a few hours anyway.

The cruise ship industry is important to Victoria; therefore, the Harbour Authority should not make business decisions based upon valid economics?

#146 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 01:58 PM

I'm not an apologist for anyone, but my take is that the Harbour Authority did their due diligence, and have come to a defensible position.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#147 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 May 2014 - 02:01 PM

I'm not an apologist for anyone, but my take is that the Harbour Authority did their due diligence, and have come to a defensible position.

Yeah.

If they are going to spend $30-40M on something, they could probably get a bigger bang for their buck doing other types of improvements.

• tedward likes this

#148 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:03 AM

http://www.cfax1070....omplaints-about

The James Bay Neighbourhood Association says there were spikes in air pollution levels on both Friday and Saturday this past week-end, which it blames on a concentration of cruise ships' being in port at the same time.

Data released by the association show a spike on Saturday was the highest one-hour concentration of sulphur dioxide at the Topaz monitoring station in five years.  There were three cruise ships berthed at Ogden Point on Saturday. 

The association has renewed its call on the city to demand that ship arrival times be staggered.

I'm sure they cruise lines get repeated calls for earlier arrival times.  But they don't like them.  They generally prefer the latest possible arrival.  I guess the question is, do you give the ships an ultimatum, with the possibility that they forego Victoria altogether if they don't like their new assigned arrival times?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#149 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,155 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:12 AM

Topaz is a long way from Ogden Point.

I always question references to statistics that do not state ALL of the facts.

How high was the reading?

How high was the reading of the previous record 5 years ago?

What is the "acceptable" level?

What are the facts that suggest the cause this year as well as five years ago?

Perhaps it was the warm temperatures that contributed to the poor air quality.

http://www.vancitybu...-fraser-valley/

#150 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 14 July 2014 - 09:37 AM

There was also a house fire not too far from there.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#151 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:02 AM

"destination" is in town.  My photography skills and lack of a good perspective does not do it justice.  It's pretty modern, pretty awesome.  The main mast is HUGE.  And you can see at the front there are two sails rolled up, they have big motors on the bottom of them to wind them in/out.  And the main sail goes into a real solid looking boom/container.  Apologies for my lack of sailing terms, I'm not a boat guy.  Its name is making it hard to find with a google search.  If you are a search expert, try to dig up some deets.  It is from Cape Town.  As I was taking the picture a guy onboard hooked up a flag to the back, but it does not appear to be the SA flag.  EDIT:  It might be the red ensign.  It definitely has the Union Jack in the top left corner.

10410464_819728114713529_598925082245163

#152 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:09 AM

Looks like shes been here for a couple of weeks now.

I believe this could very well be the boat of the Tim Horton's franchise owner. Not 100% sure though.

The flag you're seeing is likely Bahamas.

Know it all.

#153 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:11 AM

The flag you're seeing is likely Bahamas.

Hmm, not the current one.

#154 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:13 AM

I believe this could very well be the boat of the Tim Horton's franchise owner. Not 100% sure though.

Good dig, right name but wrong boat it looks like.

#155 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 07:26 AM

Ah ok but with the Union Jack it's likely a Caribbean nation, I'm guessing?

Know it all.

#156 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 08:58 AM

Which Tim Hortons Farnchise owner?  There must be 1000s of them in this country

#157 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:10 AM

Name   Destination

Flag     Cayman Islands

Length   42m    Width   9 m

Arrived in Victoria from Costa Rica ,Cabo San Lucas and  San Diego

Edited by History Buff, 16 July 2014 - 09:11 AM.

#158 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:16 AM

GREAT work HB!  Look at the size of the mast on that thing.

#159 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:23 AM

cayman-islands-flag.gif

#160 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 16 July 2014 - 09:24 AM

The Mast is longer than the Hull

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users