Photo

Greater Victoria police forces issues and news

• Please log in to reply
3334 replies to this topic

#601 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:23 AM

The TC does it all the time. Just before the "body found" incident DeRosa sent out (at least) a tweet regarding a roll-over incident on the TCH as information was being relayed over the scanner. One of the details (at that instance, anyways) DeRosa had reported would have only been known to someone listening to the scanner.

Naturally, I'm skeptical about this. Could that detail not have been phoned in to the TC by an eyewitness? Such a call could even be made just as quickly as call the police to report the incident.
Also, do you have more examples of the TC doing this "all the time"?

#602 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:36 AM

Oh there are many, but I can't be bothered to look up every two paragraph article right now nor track them from this point forward only to quell someone's doubt.

An individual at the scene phoning the TC only moments in to the incident and mirroring details officers were hearing via dispatch and communicating back seems extremely unlikely.

The information she was relaying I, and many others, were listening to live on the scanner. The detail she referenced was in regards to the profession of two members of the public who were administering first aid to one of the parties.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#603 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:47 AM

I suspect the TC receives very few phone tips for breaking news.  I think that's more likely to go to radio.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 June 2017 - 08:48 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#604 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 01 June 2017 - 08:58 AM

And that's usually only during regular business hours. Otherwise it's virtually guaranteed to end up on social media in a private account or messaged to one of the largest social media organizations.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#605 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

RCMP say a cyclist who was killed in a collision in western Alberta was an off-duty officer with the Edson detachment.

Mounties say they responded to a call Wednesday night near Edson where a cyclist had been struck by a vehicle.

They say the cyclist, who has been identified as Const. Austin MacDougall, was pronounced dead at the scene.

http://www.ctvnews.c...ision-1.3491838

MacDougall was also a former Vic PD volunteer and Reserve Constable.

#606 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

I wonder if news outlets will be given limited access to the new secret radio system?

No. That's half the point of the new radios is to eliminate non-Police. The other half is that the bands are superior.
  • GaryRanson likes this

#607 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:14 AM

Community Mike is moving to Edmonton.

https://twitter.com/CommunityMike

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#608 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:22 AM

He started his policing career in Edmonton, if I'm not mistaken.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

Know it all.

#609 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 August 2017 - 07:28 AM

He started his policing career in Edmonton, if I'm not mistaken.

Ya, that's right.  That's a huge department, over 2,500 cops/staff.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 August 2017 - 07:29 AM.

#610 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 September 2017 - 09:18 AM

New Victoria police chief to receive $218,000 per year salary, 9 weeks vacation, a vehicle, and will permit his social media use to be monitored - details in employment contract released yesterday

MORE:

#611 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 11:45 AM

Today marks a sombre time in VicPD’s history as we mark the 30th anniversary of Cst. Ian Jordan’s collision. 

On September 22nd, 1987,  Cst. Jordan was responding to a business alarm and collided with another responding unit at the intersection of Douglas and Fisgard streets.  On that night, Cst. Jordan was at headquarters (then located on Fisgard Street) as he was supposed to be on his way home.  As the call came in, Cst. Jordan responded to it instead of heading home, which showed his commitment to his job and his dedication to his community.  The other responding officer, retired Sgt. Ole Jorgensen, suffered a serious injury in the collision.

“I am very grateful for the loving care Ian continues to receive on a daily basis,” said Hilary Jordan, Cst Jordan’s wife. “I continue to visit him daily and he gets frequent visits from officers of VicPD.  I appreciate the support from Chief Del Manak, former Chief Jamie Graham, Sgt. Jonathan Sheldan and other members of the police department.”

http://vicpd.ca/node/1702

#612 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:53 PM

Before I start, I am sorry for Ian Jordan's death and my heart goes out to his family.  

Only a few police officers are killed each year in the line of duty, but approximately 700 construction workers die each year in Canada.  An average of 2 men or women die each day so that everyone has a roof over their head, roads to drive on, grocery stores to buy food in, etc yet there are no major ceremonies with thousands of construction workers flown in by the government, etc.  There is something seriously wrong with this and its absolutely unacceptable

#613 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 04:58 PM

#1 Ian Jordan is not dead.
#2 they don't really die "for us". The vast majority that die do not follow safety procedures, or co-workers do not. 95% less would die if they followed instructions, and employers were also more serious about workplace safety.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 September 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#614 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:04 PM

he's not dead?  who frigging cares then

Last week I tripped and fell so I want a ceremony and countless stupid public announcements.  If the VicPD has the time to put out announcements like this, then City of Victoria must be well overstaffed with little crime problems.  Right?

#615 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 September 2017 - 05:15 PM

#2 they don't really die "for us". The vast majority that die do not follow safety procedures, or co-workers do not. 95% less would die if they followed instructions, and employers were also more serious about workplace safety.

I guess thats true about the police, I do see a lot looking at computers in their cars at intersections, talking on cell phones in their cars, etc.   One cop did a U turn on the Malahat on a blind corner to pull me over for speeding 20 km/h over years ago

If you are referring to construction workers then you have no clue because every construction worker death in Victoria that I have heard about (I have never witnessed one personally) has nothing to do with not following safety procedures

I guess your house just magically appeared did it?  Nope no construction worker there  :whyme:

#616 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:06 AM

Measuring an occupation by death toll seems strange.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#617 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 08:32 AM

If you are referring to construction workers then you have no clue because every construction worker death in Victoria that I have heard about (I have never witnessed one personally) has nothing to do with not following safety procedures

The last two deaths I heard about here was a guy falling from a bucket while painting (no harness, Oak St.) another blown off a roof by a gust of wind (no harness or fall arrest barrier, Quadra St.).

Up in Parksville a guy was electrocuted with his ladder near power lines.  That's a non-no.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 September 2017 - 08:35 AM.

#618 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 09:27 AM

I don't know about the Oak St incident, but the guy on Quadra was carrying a sheet of plywood and a gust of wind carried him thru the safety railings

Regardless, all of these people died to make sure YOU have a roof over your heard.  No construction workers?  good luck flushing your toilet, good luck driving your car thru a forest since there won't be roads, good luck buying clothes or groceries because those buildings won't exist

#619 Gipper

Gipper
  • 314 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 01:14 PM

he's not dead? who frigging cares then

Last week I tripped and fell so I want a ceremony and countless stupid public announcements. If the VicPD has the time to put out announcements like this, then City of Victoria must be well overstaffed with little crime problems. Right?

He's been in the hospital in a coma for 30 years. Stop being ignorant.
  • sebberry, pennymurphy2000 and Kungsberg like this

#620 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 September 2017 - 03:28 PM

30 years? I am sorry to say this, but damn I am glad I got a living will.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users