Site "C" Dam Project

• Please log in to reply
374 replies to this topic

#161 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:23 PM

Very good.  Did you get boos, jeers and gasps as you left the microphone?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#162 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Well, BCUC report takes no position on any option, and makes no recommendation.

That was a useful exercise.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 November 2017 - 09:45 AM.

• jonny likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#163 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 10:54 AM

Well, BCUC report takes no position on any option, and makes no recommendation.

That was a useful exercise.

They say suspension is clearly a bad plan, continuing is OK but risky with budget overruns, and an alternative portfolio could maybe be created with similar costs.    In other words hard to predict which is cheaper, building or not building.  

Here's what's going to happen, since the BCUC report did not strongly come out in favour of building it from an economics standpoint, and feedback is overwhelmingly against it, they are going to kill site C.

Which I'm fine with, as long as they actually push hard on other renewables.   Just wait till they want to build a wind farm and there is the same outcry from the public.

#164 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 11:06 AM

I say that there is not a hope in hell either of our twin leaders is going to lay off 2,000 workers before X-mas.   Or at all, without a new mega-project to put them on.  So I suspect at the very least Horgan says they will need to "closely study the report" .. for at least 2 months, while the work continues.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 November 2017 - 11:07 AM.

• johnk likes this

#165 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:04 PM

EDIT:  NDP says they will make a decision before the end of this year.

#166 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 12:51 PM

EDIT:  NDP says they will make a decision before the end of this year.

IE right after XMAS.

I can't argue with the BCUC if they believe that geothermal and wind power can replace hydro needs at a slower cost as they are the experts. We certainly haven't seen anything like that previously though and neither wind nor geothermal are without detractors either.

#167 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:04 PM

Seen while trick or treating.

IMG_2799.JPG

#168 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:10 PM

Whoa! Where was this?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#169 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Carbon-free electricity that will be a much more expensive and desirable commodity 25 years from now is just not correct enough.
I look forward to rounding up sticks to rub together so I can enjoy a hot-ish dinner.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#170 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 04:02 PM

I’m implementing a stick tax. Every household can have one stick, tax free. But if you have more than one stick, thus two or more to rub together for heat, you are a 1%er and will be taxed accordingly.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 November 2017 - 04:03 PM.

#171 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 07:57 PM

Weaver couldn't contain his happiness over the BCUC report saying it clearly showed they should shut it down. Freaking idiot.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#172 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:33 PM

Horgan should do this:

“People of British Columbia, we are at crossroads. But I know clearly which way we should go. It’s the same way that a legendary British Columbian decided to go in 19xx. It was not universally popular at the time. But today it forms the very foundation of our strong economy here.

That man was WAC Bennett.”

<cheers, universal adulation>

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 01 November 2017 - 08:35 PM.

• LJ, Bingo and LeoVictoria like this

#173 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

Whoa! Where was this?

Mamich circle, Gordon Head.

#174 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 02 November 2017 - 09:29 PM

Weaver couldn't contain his happiness over the BCUC report saying it clearly showed they should shut it down. Freaking idiot.

I'm still not clear on why Weaver is against Site C given it is the lowest carbon energy possible save nuclear.   I never saw a good article outlining his position.

• jonny likes this

#175 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:35 AM

I'm still not clear on why Weaver is against Site C given it is the lowest carbon energy possible save nuclear.   I never saw a good article outlining his position.

Here's something the the Globe and Mail, outlining why he changed his stance: https://beta.theglob...rticle35386000/

• rjag likes this

#176 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:48 AM

Here's something the the Globe and Mail, outlining why he changed his stance: https://beta.theglob...rticle35386000/

Interesting, 

He said another unintended consequence of the project is that it has squeezed out private-sector investments in clean energy which, back in 2009, seemed poised to take off. He pointed to wind farm projects that have been cancelled because, with Site C in construction, Crown-owned BC Hydro didn't need to buy private power.

Thank God they didnt involve Private power more than they already did. You just have to look at Ontario to see how that worked out.

So 2 advantages I can think of that arent discussed are banking of fresh water which can be used in many ways and also the ability of projects like this to dial power up and down on demand. How do you store wind power or solar in large amounts?

• Bingo and johnk like this

#177 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:19 AM

^ yep. You could use batteries. Those are soooo environmental friendly. Heck, we're gonna run out of the cobalt and nickel we need for those too. 

There are many other ways to store electricity, but I'm not aware of any efficient ones. One of the ways is to use the wind/solar to pump water up, which can then generate electricity on the way down... but why would we do that, when we can just skip the wind/solar altogether, and do the same!

• rjag and Matt R. like this

#178 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

There are many other ways to store electricity, but I'm not aware of any efficient ones. One of the ways is to use the wind/solar to pump water up, which can then generate electricity on the way down... but why would we do that, when we can just skip the wind/solar altogether, and do the same!

Ya, that's right.  It will be an awful long time before we have solar power "to spare" and will use it to pump water back up.  Photo-voltaic cells really have minimal operating cost when they are producing power, so you want to use it all first before you use any other form of power.

There might be some efficient ways to use wind to pump water back up, especially at night.

Canada does not have any of these systems.  The largest one in the world is in Virginia.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 03 November 2017 - 08:56 AM.

#179 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:00 AM

Interesting, 

Thank God they didnt involve Private power more than they already did. You just have to look at Ontario to see how that worked out.

So 2 advantages I can think of that arent discussed are banking of fresh water which can be used in many ways and also the ability of projects like this to dial power up and down on demand. How do you store wind power or solar in large amounts?

The Liberals killed off private power because it was costing them 10x the price they were paying for their own power. Once Ontario was forced to cut subsidies for wind power earlier this year the entire model collapsed. Same thing with solar a few years back. 

Weaver changed his stance to carry favour with (and earn votes from) FN full stop. As we saw again yesterday in the BC Supreme Court, FN have no standing to block projects in this country when they have been consulted. 

• rjag and jonny like this

#180 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

Weaver changed his stance to carry favour with (and earn votes from) FN full stop. As we saw again yesterday in the BC Supreme Court, FN have no standing to block projects in this country when they have been consulted. 

Thats the other part I find strange. We see the current government say they have to consult first nations...about what? its a valley that for the most part grows grass for cattle feedlots. Not a great loss. But the question is, can we generate the same amount of power with less impact and for similar or less cost....AND....can it be stored and produced on demand.

You put a solar farm up and someone will protest that its affecting the ground weevil population, you put a wind farm up and someone else will protest it kills birds and bats....etc etc....

WAC Bennett had a vision and built the dam and it was so overbuilt but it has paid dividends and will continue....imagine if Weaver and his type were around back then.

Flying Phil Gagliardi was part of Bennetts government and he oversaw construction of most of our highway system and bridges as well as BC Ferries...imagine if Weaver was around for that

Thank God these guys had vision, its a shame the current crew are only interested in social justice and virtue signalling....nothings going to get done....

• Matt R., Bingo and jonny like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users