PROPOSED
Turner Building
Uses: rental, commercial
Address: 2002-2010 Richmond Road
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 6
Turner Building is a proposal to redevelop the landmark Turner Building at 2002-2010 Richmond Road and adjacen... (view full profile)
Learn more about Turner Building on Citified.ca
Photo

[Victoria - Jubilee] Turner Building redevelopment | Residential; retail | 6-storeys

• Please log in to reply
255 replies to this topic

#1 JETT

JETT
  • 35 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:04 AM

I pass by this building fairly regularly and I've found myself wondering what is in its future. I think its been boarded up for some time now.....?
I think I only ever went in there once and found it to be a true 'greasy spoon', lotsa vinyl and stools at the counter.
Does anyone know what the situation is with the building?
I did a search (probably a feeble one, as I don't seem to have the best of luck with searches.....) and was only able to come up with the following details http://www.libertyan...ner/Turner.html.

#2 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,233 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:30 AM

The site was used as a location for a film starring Kiefer Sutherland some years back. A shame...it could be really cool if done up right.

#3 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:43 AM

I used to hang out there with my friends in the early '80s, it was a total greasy spoon but made the best burgers and milkshakes and the news stand next door was great. With all the activity around that area I'm surprised nothings done with it as well.

#4 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:50 AM

I don't think much has changed in the four years since these photos were taken:

http://vibrantvictor...9&postcount=112
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#5 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 11:13 AM

Ian fell ill a number of years ago, hense the closure of the coffee shop. His daughter is the caretaker of the property at present.

I am assuming that there can not be much progress here until the situation changes.

There was a post on VV a while ago where there was a link to a music video where some of it was shot at Ian's. It was kinda retro weird. I will try and find the link.

#6 arfenarf

arfenarf
  • 322 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:00 PM

I walk by there often and try to imagine it in its heyday. I imagined it would be a license to print money, given the limited choice (Tim's/Cafeteria) within the hospital and the piss-poor White Spot across Fort. And the retro-cool opportunities... Oooooh.

#7 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:06 PM

When I was at university in the 80s I lived near there and often stopped in. It was a classic greasy spoon and Ian was a character, I know he rubbed many people the wrong way because he was the nicest of people.

He had his walls covered in Golden Cup Coffee awards
He had a laminated note he gave to people that put their feet up on a chair or bench seat, the note asked people to ask for plastic cover socks if they want to put their feet up.

I have no memory of the place every being full. Greasy really described the place.

#8 victorian fan

victorian fan
  • 1,923 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:11 PM

triviaqueen at flickr

#9 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,088 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 12:18 PM

Here is the link to the music video (some of it shot at Ian's) that was posted by B.Bridge a while ago.

http://www.totallyfu..._09d9ab1ef.html

#10 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:00 PM

Yup, that is what the place looked like, I can see the awards up on the walls.

#11 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

I used to get my hair cut at Jim Goodman's in the 1950's. The barbershop had an entrance into Ian's place. Ian would bring Jim a coffee and they would flip a coin to see who would pay for it. Ian's daughter used to wait on the tables, but wasn't too thrilled about it. The big attraction in those days were the student nurses from across the road that would come in with their white caps and blue capes. Jim's son Paul, cuts hair just around the corner on Fort St.

The curved Turner neon sign is looking like it is about to fall off.

#12 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:25 AM

His daughter was close to running the place fulltime by the of the 1980s, she looked less than impressed with this.

I was never certain, but the store Turner's, was it every connected to the Turner's in Sidney?

Also, the only thing that seemed to keep it going in the 1980s was all the prono mags it sold.

#13 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,116 posts

Posted 10 July 2013 - 08:14 AM

http://toadhollowpho...k-lies-forlorn/
turners

& just around the corner

http://toadhollowpho...piggledy-house/

birch

#14 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Turners is done.

Rain buckets and sagging beams

Outside wall is gone

Mold and rubble

Coffee Stop no more

The V and the R have fallen onto the sill...

... and the neon lights are out, and missing.

#15 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 07:42 AM

Maybe someone is going to fix the place up????

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#16 Heritagelady

Heritagelady

Heritage Consultant

• 3 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 09:06 AM

Maybe someone is going to fix the place up????

This is a classic case of demolition by neglect. According to what I heard the family could not agree on what to do so they did nothing. Now we lose another iconic Victoria building with its encapsulated history. So sad -- and preventable.

#17 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 10:12 AM

I have heard of grief-stricken families unable to do the logical thing with an inherited house because of the memories, emotions and conflicting views within the surviving siblings.

While I admire the kindness of those saying they will volunteer to swing a hammer and rescue the building, that time has long passed. I'm sure the cost of "restoration" would exceed the cost of building a beautiful brand new deco-inspired building with underground parking and state-of-the-art features.

It's interesting. When people refer to saving "the building" are they just referring to the outside shell; the facade? Or are they subconsciously hoping that things will return to the way they were: buying a magazine and candy bar at Turners, popping into Ian's for an ice cream or coffee, maybe, just maybe a glimpse of Ian giving you a wink from the kitchen...
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#18 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:25 PM

There is nothing remarkable about the building except the curved wall and the now removed sign.

#19 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:45 PM

Naturally, any new building would likely have a similar curved facade. And I think it would be great if the Turner's sign were reinstalled if someone were willing to have their store branded that way. A new building could be three or four storeys. How about penthouses on top and lower cost small apartments for students and low-income hospital staff. I would nominate architect Franc D'Ambrosio as he is the master of the low-rise, high quality mixed use building.

#20 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 October 2013 - 12:46 PM

Does the flagging that's now around the building mean that demolition is planned?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users