Go Canucks Go

• Please log in to reply
975 replies to this topic

#361 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 10:34 AM

Coach has nothing much to work with thanks to Mike Gillis and Benning. Not long ago they had two top-10 goalies, one in late career the other under 25. Both gone with nothing in return. Sedins are getting creaky and they gave 6(!) years to over-30 Eriksson. One good draft pick in Horvat and not much else. An old team with nothing much in the pipeline and a popgun offense.
Coach can only work with what he's given and Desjardins has mostly a bunch of stiffs. Not his fault.

Pretty much this: the cupboard is literally bare. On top of which the Canucks have a terrible history of drafts and (not) developing players.

Not terribly impressed with Benning to date either; that Erikssen contract is going to be an albatross around YVR's neck.

I would keep Markstrom, Thatcher Demko, Hutton, Tanev, Sutter, Horvat, Virtanen and a few other young picks like Brock Boeser and jettison the rest for draft picks. Trade the Sedin's as a package to a playoff-bound team looking for veteran players who can produce offensively in a 2-month playoff run, with a handshake agreement when they retire they can be Canuck goodwill ambassador/VP's, and get some young blood or more draft picks in return.....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 04 November 2016 - 10:40 AM.

• Bingo and Daveyboy like this

#362 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 November 2016 - 11:47 AM

I would keep Markstrom, Thatcher Demko, Hutton, Tanev, Sutter, Horvat, Virtanen and a few other young picks like Brock Boeser and jettison the rest for draft picks. Trade the Sedin's as a package to a playoff-bound team looking for veteran players who can produce offensively in a 2-month playoff run, with a handshake agreement when they retire they can be Canuck goodwill ambassador/VP's, and get some young blood or more draft picks in return.....

I agree with this.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#363 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 09:57 AM

I mostly agree except for trading the twins. They are a package at combined +/-$14 mil. I can see a team adding one high-priced rental for a playoff push but not adding two. I dont think they want to play anywhere else and may have no-move contracts.
I don't see this team improving for a few more years yet.

#364 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 05 November 2016 - 01:24 PM

I mostly agree except for trading the twins. They are a package at combined +/-$14 mil. I can see a team adding one high-priced rental for a playoff push but not adding two. 

The twins are at their worst in the playoffs, by then they are more interested in going home to play in Sweden.

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 05:30 PM

Does this mean we'll see reduced ticket prices?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 06 November 2016 - 06:08 PM

Does this mean we'll see reduced ticket prices?

Not based on the cost of the three 200-level tickets I just purchased for a game in February for my daughter for a Christmas present, lol....

• Mike K. likes this

#367 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 November 2016 - 09:59 PM

According to the numbers early in the season the team sucks, and I think Willie Desjardins' number is coming up in the next few weeks.

Kind of funny, but the headline you quoted re. a 9 game losing streak was only at 6 games when you posted that. Now the streak is at 8. Was it supposed to be a forecast or something?

• Bingo likes this

#368 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 November 2016 - 07:10 AM

Kind of funny, but the headline you quoted re. a 9 game losing streak was only at 6 games when you posted that. Now the streak is at 8. Was it supposed to be a forecast or something?

I think we all grabbed a last-year article.  Canucks go for #9 today at 4pm vs. NYI.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#369 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 07:28 AM

Their 9th straight loss, 29th in league and battling for the wild card in the playoffs.   

• lanforod likes this

#370 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:18 PM

Playing well in NYC tonight; leading 3-2 with 9:00 to go.....

#371 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 November 2016 - 06:48 PM

Vancouver 5 Rangers 3

Burrows 2 goals

#372 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 November 2016 - 08:25 PM

Canucks 1 Red Wings 3

#373 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 November 2016 - 03:58 PM

He's 6 foot 5

The Canucks are giving Joseph Labate an NHL shot — according to his agent.

Agent Neil Sheehy tweeted this afternoon that the Canucks are bringing the rugged 23-year-old forward up from Utica in advance of Wednesday’s game in Arizona.

Labate has six points and 34 penalty minutes in 12 games with the Comets this season.

http://theprovince.c...bate-from-utica

#374 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 03:13 PM

http://www.theprovin...5987/story.html

B.C.'s longest bar? Canucks adding The Sportsbar to Rogers Arena next week

15253657_1624765321153099_35443238036667

#375 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 January 2017 - 09:12 PM

Henrik Sedin scores 1,000th NHL point Canucks center gets goal against Panthers, Roberto Luongo

• AllseeingEye and lanforod like this

#376 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 10:58 AM

/\....both of the brothers are terribly under-appreciated in NHL circles IMO; and I still maintain the 'Nuckleheads should quietly sit down with them before the trade deadline and come up with a handshake deal where they submit a list of contending teams who they'd be willing to be traded to so they get a shot at winning a cup - which isn't going to happen with Vancouver clearly - and the Canucks can ideally either get a good young prospect or two and/or solid draft picks in return.

Then once their time with the new team is done - likely they'd be picked up only for this year's playoffs given their ages - offer to bring them both back and play for a single game here the following year so they can retire as Vancouver Canucks, then hire them as goodwill ambassadors or VP, Community Affairs-type roles.

#377 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:01 AM

I think they are under-appreciated.  They do go about their work quietly.  But they earn $7M per year, so no reason to feel sorry for them.

#378 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 21 January 2017 - 11:29 AM

Hence why I said they are under-appreciated, as opposed to underpaid. By the time they're done both will have over 1000 points each, which I believe will be an NHL first for a brother act.....

#379 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:16 PM

Down in the mumps...

...no spitting, sharing water bottles or mouth-guards.   :mad:

Five players with the Vancouver Canucks are sitting out Saturday's game because they have or are suspected to have the mumps, the team said Friday.

So far only one player, Troy Stecher, has been confirmed to have the virus, said Canucks general manager Jim Benning. 

Four other players — Chris Tanev, Nikita Tryamkin, Mike Chaput and Markus Granlund — are under quarantine because they have symptoms. 

A viral infection, mumps is spread through saliva and respiratory droplets. It causes swelling of the salivary glands, which are in your cheeks, close to your jaw and below the ears.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...mumps-1.3998731

#380 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 26 February 2017 - 09:26 AM

Pretty much have to be sellers at the trade deadline now you have to think after last night's loss to San Jose; aside from Burrows, Miller and Jannik Hansen I'd seriously be looking to unload the Sedin's if at all possible although that would be more likely in the off season due to their cap hit. They need more draft picks and young players in their system. The Canucks need to get the rebuild underway and the sooner the better.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users