Victoria Real-Estate Board statistics

• Please log in to reply
2697 replies to this topic

#1201 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:44 PM

I have to correct my earlier statement. Buddy lives in a 1,700 square foot home, the value is right around $500k in this market.

I popped in to see him today as I was out and about. It's a pretty spacious place, definitely plenty of room for mom and dad and a little kid. The backyard is quite small but there's enough room for a hot tub if they choose to re-install one (the previous owner had one) and they have a nice patio off the second floor that's about 130 sq. ft. in size.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1202 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:49 PM

IMO I think around 1500 square feet would be fine for 2 parents and one pre-schooler. Add a second child, and as the kids grow older, more like 2000 square feet would be better. Older children tend to need more space for themselves, their stuff and their friends.

• nerka likes this

#1203 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 02:42 PM

3000 sf included the legal suite downstairs so bank on 2200sf for living area. I have a friend with 3 kids and a wife in 2200sf and its somewhat tight

anyway I have changed my stance since little people seem to support my previous position. Now, you should buy quickly before prices go up another 15-25% next year. Hell, I own, why should I care.

The 4 of us live in the upstairs of a Gordon Head Box so 1200sqft or so (MIL lives below us). Plenty of space. Not sure what people do in 3000sqft. Growing up our family of 6 spent several years in a 100 year old shack the size of a trailer. Was fine. Maybe my parents thought it was cramped but we kids certainly didn’t care.

I agree that prices are crazy high for new entrants to the market and there are poor entry level options out there suitable for families, but people do need to get away from the idea of giant McMansions

Edited by LeoVictoria, 18 July 2017 - 02:43 PM.

• jonny, Janion Fan and nerka like this

#1204 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:31 PM

I agree that prices are crazy high for new entrants to the market and there are poor entry level options out there suitable for families, but people do need to get away from the idea of giant McMansions

Totally agreed. Seems unlikely that new build 3000 sf  SFH on 6500 sf lot is ever going to be terribly affordable in the CRD, even if you are OK with a long commute.

Small options aren't generally set up well for family. Should have more storage for one thing.

Developing family friendly townhouses and apartments seems to be the way to go to provide truly affordable options for families

#1205 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Currently living with just over 800 sq ft for two adults (and a cat). It feels pretty spacious compared to our last place, which was 550 and definitely too small for all our my stuff. I bought the place from a family with two young kids, and I'm amazed they were able to make it work for so long.

• Mike K. likes this

#1206 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

I'm not amazed that a family with two littles can comfortably live in 800 sq.ft. but then, having lived in a country where everything is designed with small spaces in mind, I can see why it's difficult to fathom here. Everything's bigger here, including expectations. And, accumulated stuff.

In Nanaimo, we're currently looking to downsize from a very ample 1100 square feet (our BC box is 2200 but we only live in the upper portion, lower is rented), where for 14 years we've very comfortably raised our daughter, hosted family & friends for many parties, dinners and holidays and generally felt extremely content with our lot. Now, we'd love to find something around 700-800 square feet on a 3-5000 square foot lot. They're out there. The 50's bungalows and miner's cottages, where families of many more than 3 were raised, comfortably. Nobody's building them now, though, which I think is too bad. I, too, look at the 2500-3000 square foot homes, with two or even four occupants and wonder....what the heck do people DO with all that space? 

#1207 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

There are good, sub 2000 sf, floor plans that suit families. Royal Bay has 3 and 4 bedroom homes in the 1800 sf range on 3200 sf (I could be wrong on that number) lots.
  • Janion Fan and nerka like this

#1208 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

Nobody's building them now, though, which I think is too bad. I, too, look at the 2500-3000 square foot homes, with two or even four occupants and wonder....what the heck do people DO with all that space? 

Very likely contemplate what to do with all of that space. And come tax time, shake a fist.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1209 LeoVictoria

LeoVictoria
  • 3,471 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 07:50 AM

Nobody's building them now, though, which I think is too bad. I, too, look at the 2500-3000 square foot homes, with two or even four occupants and wonder....what the heck do people DO with all that space? 

No one's building them because everyone is obsessed with resale value.  So much of the upfront cost is the same for permits and servicing that the additional money to build 3000sqft vs 2000sqft isn't that much.  So everyone maxes out the size of the house for the lot.   In reality that means most SFHs are actually duplexes or triplexes, which I suppose is fine as well. 

#1210 thaicobb

thaicobb
  • 75 posts
  • LocationLA & Victoria

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

No one's building them because everyone is obsessed with resale value.  So much of the upfront cost is the same for permits and servicing that the additional money to build 3000sqft vs 2000sqft isn't that much.  So everyone maxes out the size of the house for the lot.   In reality that means most SFHs are actually duplexes or triplexes, which I suppose is fine as well. 

Most definitely.  The most expensive parts of a residence are the kitchen and bathrooms - where the plumbing and cabinetry are.  The extra 1000 sqft is mostly empty space.

#1211 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 19 July 2017 - 08:14 AM

I dont think you can question why some folks like more space and others dont. Its personal preference combined with what they can afford etc. Not unlike why some folks bike and some drive a Kia and others a Cadillac or a Mercedes.

We just launched our last kid to Kelowna, so its just me and the better looking half. We have 1600ft on the main which is perfect for us and 1200 down. Right now most of down is all the stuff the kids are storing for 'future' use otherwise its unused. Our taxes are no different than the M-I-L who downsized to a condo across from Beacon Hill Park, her taxes are $4k for a very nice 1100ft condo, ours are $4200 for North OB by UVic. 

Its all about lifestyle, future use and preference. We have 2 big mutts, a couple of cars and my wife loves to garden, not exactly the lifestyle choice of a condo dweller. 

That being said I imagine in 20 years or so we may wish to downsize and really would only consider a townhouse alternative at this point. I agree with NParker that there needs to be more townhouse developments, especially just off the core such as Shelbourne/Haultain/Foul Bay area.

• Nparker, jonny, Janion Fan and 1 other like this

#1212 FirstTimeHomeCrier

FirstTimeHomeCrier
  • 357 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 09:20 AM

Canada's National Occupancy Standard:

The NOS derives the number of bedrooms a household requires as follows:

• A maximum of two persons per bedroom.
  • Household members, of any age, living as part of a married or common-law couple share a bedroom with their spouse or common-law partner.
  • Lone-parents, of any age, have a separate bedroom.
  • Household members aged 18 or over have a separate bedroom – except those living as part of a married or common-law couple.
  • Household members under 18 years old of the same sex share a bedroom – except lone-parents and those living as part of a married or common-law couple.
  • Household members under 5 years old of the opposite sex share a bedroom if doing so would reduce the number of required bedrooms. This situation would arise only in households with an odd number of males under 18, an odd number of females under 18, and at least one female and one male under the age of 5.

An exception to the above is a household consisting of one individual living alone. Such a household would not need a bedroom (i.e., the individual may live in a studio apartment and be considered to be living in suitable accommodations).

There are families for whom a two-bedroom, 800 sq ft condo would be considered sub-standard. And sure, you can disagree with Stats Can about livability. Standards are different in other countries. But I do like to think we are living in a country that is trying to make life better for its citizens. How many people immigrated here to raise families in the same conditions they were leaving behind?

#1213 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:00 AM

Immigrants leaving a war torn country, or a place where they feel oppressed or face challenges that we can't even fathom in the west are not going to complain that their kitchen countertop doesn't have granite or that the laundry room is several doors down the hall  :wave:

I can speak of a couple of interesting places we lived when we first moved to Canada. Good times.

• johnk likes this

Know it all.

#1214 Janion Fan

Janion Fan
  • 240 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 10:16 AM

How many people immigrated here to raise families in the same conditions they were leaving behind?

Us, for one (or three).

Not all immigrants leave because of "sub-standard" living conditions. Some just want to try something new. Expand their life experience. 

Edited by Janion Fan, 19 July 2017 - 10:19 AM.

#1215 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:46 PM

I lived with my parents in literally 801 sq/ft from 9 yrs old to 25 yrs old. I already had a 75k/year job at VIHA at 21 yrs old but I wanted to do my masters degree and stockpile some cash. Sure my mom was super annoying like she would always ask me where I was going, etc., but my quality of life was great. 

It worked out perfectly for my parents as now that I have moved out they don't need to downsize their house.

Edited by MarkoJ, 19 July 2017 - 02:47 PM.

• VicHockeyFan and Janion Fan like this

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1216 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 July 2017 - 08:34 AM

Mon Jul 24, 2017:

Jul Jul
2017 2016
Net Unconditional Sales: 588 972
New Listings: 842 1,127
Active Listings: 1,963 2,161

Please Note

Left Column: counts so far this month
Right Column: counts for the entire month from last year

#1217 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:17 AM

Mon Jul 31, 2017:

Jul Jul
2017 2016
Net Unconditional Sales: 759 972
New Listings: 1,076 1,127
Active Listings: 1,958 2,161

Please Note

Left Column: counts so far this month
Right Column: counts for the entire month from last year

#1218 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 08:57 AM

Unless sales go crazy today, it appears as though we are going to fall quite short of last July's numbers.

#1219 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

Victoria Real Estate Board
Tue Aug 1,  2017:

Jul Jul
2017 2016
Net Unconditional Sales: 790 972
New Listings: 1,104 1,127
Active Listings: 1,921 2,161

Please Note

Left Column: stats for the entire month from this year
Right Column: stats for the entire month from last year

#1220 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 August 2017 - 12:35 PM

Mon Aug 08, 2017:

Aug Aug
2017 2016
Net Unconditional Sales: 157 883
New Listings: 222 1,120
Active Listings: 1,932 2,094

Please Note

Left Column: stats so far this month
Right Column: stats for the entire month from last year

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users