2017 2016
Net Unconditional Sales: 183  781
New Listings: 321  1,050
Active Listings: 1,949 2,061

Please Note

Left Column: stats so far this month
Right Column: stats for the entire month from last year

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#1242 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:43 AM

I'm curious Marko, whats the general market doing with these double interest rate hikes this summer?

Edited by tjv, 11 September 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#1243 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,389 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:16 AM

You make it sound like a massive interest rate hike. It wasn't. 0.5% increase just brings us back in line with where we were in 2014, and its still very, very low.

#1244 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 10:45 AM

and you think these are the only rate increases we are going to see?  Probably another one later this year followed by a few more next year.  Think long term not short term

#1245 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,389 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 11:09 AM

Yes, there will be more. Until you're getting over 3-4%, we're a long ways off from historical averages. 3.5% is 10 25 basis point increases away.

• Nparker likes this

#1246 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 12:36 PM

You keep forgetting that under historical averages house prices were a fraction of what they are today.  I am going to guess that when interest rates were 7-8% house prices were maybe around 250k.  Salaries have not kept pace with the increase in house prices.

#1247 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:07 PM

And that's why the feds won't push ahead with a massive rate hike. Remember, as rates rise, the Canadian dollar also rises and that's not great for trade.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1248 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,994 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 01:37 PM

...Remember, as rates rise, the Canadian dollar also rises and that's not great for trade.

But it's great for my upcoming weekend jaunt to Seattle. :banana:

#1249 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:02 PM

Ah, and it also encourages Canadians to spend outside of the country.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1250 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,994 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 02:24 PM

Ah, and it also encourages Canadians to spend outside of the country.

I might have chosen a Vancouver weekend, but hotel rates there are outrageous. The Clipper Vacations package was a great deal. 

#1251 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,389 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:30 PM

I might have chosen a Vancouver weekend, but hotel rates there are outrageous. The Clipper Vacations package was a great deal. 

Aren't you a government employee? Government hotel rates are great in Vancouver.

#1252 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,994 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 07:52 PM

Aren't you a government employee? Government hotel rates are great in Vancouver.

They are almost impossible to get anymore. 

#1253 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 08:34 PM

And that's why the feds won't push ahead with a massive rate hike. Remember, as rates rise, the Canadian dollar also rises and that's not great for trade.

Interest rates are continued to rise say leading economists:

http://business.fina...anada-statement

The main reason the Canadian dollar is rising against the US is because of the disparity between the US fed rate and the BoC rate.  We are still 0.25% below the US fed rate.  The US will likely raise rates and Canada will continue to match them.

Construction is also out of control.  Although I don't know the current rate of construction inflation right now, 10 years ago in the last boom they were rising at 1.5 to 2% a month.

#1254 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 11 September 2017 - 09:09 PM

It's not that bad now, but the fires have definitely impacted the cost of lumber and plywood.

A decade ago the runup in construction costs was totally insane.

Know it all.

#1255 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,389 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:30 AM

They are almost impossible to get anymore. 

What? No way, pretty easy.

#1256 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,994 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 07:37 AM

What? No way, pretty easy.

Tell that to the staff in my office who were unable to secure reasonable government rates ($200/night or less) in downtown Vancouver for recent business-related travel.

#1257 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:13 AM

Yikes, yeah. How's that affecting business travel? Is the government forced to pay higher rates or are the trips cancelled, or are workers forced to pay a portion of the rate themselves?

My girlfriend works for the feds and they have pretty strict limits on how much they will pay. I don't know what the procedure is if a hotel room is above the permitted rate.

Know it all.

#1258 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,994 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:51 AM

...How's that affecting business travel? Is the government forced to pay higher rates or are the trips cancelled, or are workers forced to pay a portion of the rate themselves?...

I am not closely involved with the travel functions in my office, but since visiting other parts of the province - often for several days at a time - is critical to the work we do, we are required to get senior executive approval to exceed allowable accommodation rates. Employees would never be expected to cover costs themselves for job-related expenses. The upside is that eventually we are often able to recoup costs from our "clients" as part of the recovery process. Fortunately, these high accommodation costs are mostly limited to downtown Vancouver and do not especially impact the work we do elsewhere in the province.

And now I feel I must add the following...

off-topic.jpg

#1259 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,764 posts

Posted 12 September 2017 - 09:54 AM

Gotcha, thanks!

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#1260 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,389 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 September 2017 - 10:48 AM

I get that, if you're talking about booking fairly short notice rooms, in summer time. 

Under 200 will be difficult in downtown Vancouver, regardless though. There certainly are rooms available though. I just checked the Sheraton Wall Centre - $269/night government rate, available for this weekend. That's a 4 or 5 star hotel.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users