Photo

Interesting and colourful street names in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#41 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 04:05 PM

It's had the crown a number of year I suspect, and it is well know by teenagers who want one for their bedroom wall, as it won't be the old farts ripping it off.

^ageism  :whyme:

#42 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 07:23 PM

Why doesn't the city market them and make some cash?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#43 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:26 PM

I'd buy a "Broad Street" sign.

#44 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:30 PM

I stole both a Yates and a Douglas sign in my youth*.  Bad VHF...

*Statement is strictly for amusement purposes only, esp. if statute of limitations does not apply.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#45 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:57 PM

I stole both a Yates and a Douglas sign in my youth*.  Bad VHF...

*Statement is strictly for amusement purposes only, esp. if statute of limitations does not apply.

Years ago my dad would refer to that as "pussers corner", an old navy term.

#46 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 08:59 PM

It doesn't count. I spent years trying to find Japanese fishing balls, I finally purchased one in a tourist shop, I tell people I found it but it eats away at me each time I make the claim.  :whyme:

#47 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 04:51 AM

You'd think an enterprising sign shop around town would make good quality replicas.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:13 AM

A new business idea for Stampers.
  • Nparker, sebberry and Matt R. like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#49 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:25 AM

Nils Jenson was interviewed about Somass signs on the radio yesterday. For the most part, he blamed drunk university students.

Seems VV has become a news source.

• Nparker likes this

#50 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 07:50 AM

Nils Jenson was interviewed about Somass signs on the radio yesterday. For the most part, he blamed drunk university students.

Seems VV has become a news source.

Right, Who else in Victoria has the number of reporters constantly feeding the media pipeline with news and ideas than VV has?    :cheers:

• Nparker, sebberry and todd like this

#51 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

Really?

IMG_0963.jpg

• sebberry likes this

#52 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 November 2015 - 09:19 PM

Nice job with the bits of moss...

#53 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 09:59 AM

The fine for defacing public property in Photoshop would normally be reduced if you do a good job.

#54 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:02 AM

Aastra is usually pretty sharp, but it appears you've captured him feeling a little rough around the edges.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#55 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 11:05 AM

It's a funny little street.  Right at the top of CHXR.

#56 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:14 PM

The fine for defacing public property in Photoshop would normally be reduced if you do a good job.

I going over there on the weekend to remove the moss before the sign deteriorates further, unless you beat me to it.

#57 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2015 - 02:47 PM

=======

:eek: X  :squint: +  :ph34r: =  :cop:  X :judge: =    |       :(      |

=======

• Mike K. likes this

#58 SAGA

SAGA
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 November 2015 - 11:19 PM

I always thought Fifth Street was odd because there are no longer any other numbered streets anywhere near. If I was building a new subdivision I'd name one street 146th Avenue just for kicks.

Blanshard used to be called Rose, and prior to that it was First Street, when the V&S Railway ran along it as far ar Hillside. Wark Street used to be Second Street.

Same here.  I didn't know about Blanshard <- 1st and Wark <- 2nd,  odd considering the distance to Fifth  (unless fifth <- 20th).  It's a ripe candidate for the next (first-ever?) billionaire philanthropist to Victoria.  Maybe Xmas will come early this year with sewage or lrt all paid for by Anonymous Street.  

-wei

#59 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:03 AM

Quad-ra (four) comes just before Fifth. I wonder if there's a connection there...
  • aastra likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#60 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 19 November 2015 - 07:08 AM

I wonder why absolutely nobody wants to change our mishmash of streets and names. Lochside will never be one, why not change the bit names? Caledonia and Chatham can be merged.

Get rid of Fifth and make it a cooler name.

I'm already on record as saying Dallas Rd. needs a new name, or a co-name like Marine View Drive.

The street I grew up on as a kid, and one adjacent had their names changed to end confusion with other parts of them that did not connect. It was no big deal.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)