Photo

Interesting and colourful street names in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
175 replies to this topic

#21 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:03 PM

The municipality has welded the sign to the post and put axle grease on it but in Oak Bay, the sign that keeps going missing is Somass.

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:08 PM

The municipality has welded the sign to the post and put axle grease on it but in Oak Bay, the sign that keeps going missing is Somass.

Ya, Abbey Rd. in Saanich is the same way.

A set of names based on pet names would be neat.

Rover Rd.
Fido Ln.
Fluffy St.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:20 PM

I always thought Fifth Street was odd because there are no longer any other numbered streets anywhere near. If I was building a new subdivision I'd name one street 146th Avenue just for kicks.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#24 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:42 PM

I always thought Fifth Street was odd because there are no longer any other numbered streets anywhere near. If I was building a new subdivision I'd name one street 146th Avenue just for kicks.

Blanshard used to be called Rose, and prior to that it was First Street, when the V&S Railway ran along it as far ar Hillside. Wark Street used to be Second Street.

#25 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 May 2012 - 09:44 PM

And then there is the corner of Granville and Hastings.

#26 aastra

aastra
  • 20,757 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:45 AM

Here's a blurb. Make of it what you will:

James Bay’s earliest subdivision streets were named after places in eastern North America that were familiar to the HBC officers: Superior, Huron, Michigan, Belleville, Niagara, Ontario, Kingston, Montreal, Toronto, Oswego, Erie and Quebec. A few names have been changed, such as St. John, now Pendray Street, and Ottawa and Hamilton, now part of Dallas Road. Dallas itself (named after A.G. Dallas of the HBC) now skirts only the western and southern edges of James Bay, but once was the name popularly used for the entire shoreline roadway, including what is now Belleville Street.

http://www.victoriah...bayhistory.html

On the 1939 streetcar map, Dallas Road/Beach Drive are labelled "Marine Drive":
http://vihistory.ca/...icstreetcar1939

#27 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 11:01 AM

Just SW of Hillside and Cook there is a lane named Bakery Mews. I noticed on one of the old aerial photos posted recently that there was an old two storey brick building on one of the streets around there, so that must have been a bakery where the name comes from.

#28 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 03 May 2012 - 12:38 PM

On the 1939 streetcar map, Dallas Road/Beach Drive are labelled "Marine Drive":
http://vihistory.ca/...icstreetcar1939

Sounds like an effort by the tourism Poobahs of the day to rebrand that road as a Vancouver-style automobile promenade.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#29 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 04:08 PM

Would it be fun to do some new street names named after other Canadian cities?  Or countries of the world?  I know, I know, we already have some... Like Mars.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#30 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 24 August 2015 - 06:57 PM

I know, I know, we already have some... Like Mars.

We'll have to budget for many replacements of the Uranus Ave sign... 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 07:09 PM

We'll have to budget for many replacements of the Uranus Ave sign... 

Uranus Circle and Uranus Crescent sound better.

#32 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 09:03 PM

Apparently the sign that keeps disappearing in Oak Bay is the one for Somass Drive.

#33 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 24 August 2015 - 11:23 PM

Apparently the sign that keeps disappearing in Oak Bay is the one for Somass Drive.

yes.. ... unfortunately now it has a steel frame around it

#34 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:41 PM

I was driving down some road when I saw this sign welded to the post with a steel frame on somass drive.

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6965.JPG

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:44 PM

Haha!

That's too good. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#36 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 06:46 PM

yes.. ... unfortunately now it has a steel frame around it

Ya, Abbey Road in Saanich same thing.

#37 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 August 2015 - 09:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wIja4phlzY

#38 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 12:59 PM

I was driving down some road when I saw this sign welded to the post with a steel frame on somass drive.

IMG_6963.JPG

IMG_6965.JPG

And a few days later, you've created a news story.

http://vancouverisla...o?clipId=694585

• sebberry and todd like this

#39 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:40 PM

After that news story Somass is the crown jewel of signs, I give the current sign a week tops. 

#40 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 02 September 2015 - 03:45 PM

After that news story Somass is the crown jewel of signs, I give the current sign a week tops. 

It's had the crown a number of year I suspect, and it is well know by teenagers who want one for their bedroom wall, as it won't be the old farts ripping it off.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users