Target stores in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
467 replies to this topic

#361 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:30 PM

Severance has always meant pay, or notice, or a combination of both.

In BC:

An employee who is terminated may be eligible for compensation based on the following formula:

• After three consecutive months of employment – one week’s pay;
  • After 12 consecutive months of employment – two weeks’ pay;
  • After three consecutive years – three weeks’ pay, plus one week’s pay for each additional year of employment to a maximum of eight weeks.

A week’s pay is calculated by:

• Totalling the employee’s wages, excluding overtime, earned in the last eight weeks in which the employee worked normal or average hours; and
  • Dividing the total by eight.

The sale, lease or transfer of a business does not typically interrupt an employee’s period of continuous employment unless the employee has been terminated by the vendor employer.

No compensation required with working notice

No compensation is required if an employee is given advance written notice of termination equal to the number of weeks for which the employee is eligible.  This notice must be in writing.

http://www.labour.go...termination.htm

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#362 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:35 PM

If staff Target are still working how can this be considered severance pay? Isn't being paid to work called a wage? If not, is every paid employee on some sort of long-term severance since eventually everyone will either be terminated or leave their employment?  :confused:

• http and martini like this

#363 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 03:50 PM

If staff Target are still working how can this be considered severance pay? Isn't being paid to work called a wage? If not, is every paid employee on some sort of long-term severance since eventually everyone will either be terminated or leave their employment?  :confused:

Not quite.  Severance must be paid in cash, if you are terminated with no notice - and if you can not work work out your shifts from the time from when you receive notice, until you have your last day.

So if you are fired, they say "go home John, you are done here", you get your severance pay right away.  If one day you show up, and the place is closed permanently, you get your severance.  If they tell you today, that your last day is June 17th, then you get no severance.

It's the same if you quit with notice, you can work out your last hours, ie. if you give 14 or 30-days notice.  If you give your notice, and they say "that's it then, your job is done", they pay your severance, the same as if they fired you.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#364 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 04:02 PM

I guess it's a matter of perception. On the surface, the statement that Target is giving its staff nearly 4 months of "severance" seems generous, when in fact they are being given 14 weeks notice of termination at which point one assumes the stores will close and no further wages will be paid. Staff are being paid for 14 weeks of time during which they will be working, which doesn't sound as nice as as severance.

#365 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:11 PM

Its still severance under the law

Also no severance is required for termination with just cause such as catching an employee stealing, etc

#366 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:17 PM

I guess it's a matter of perception. On the surface, the statement that Target is giving its staff nearly 4 months of "severance" seems generous, when in fact they are being given 14 weeks notice of termination at which point one assumes the stores will close and no further wages will be paid. Staff are being paid for 14 weeks of time during which they will be working, which doesn't sound as nice as as severance.

I don't know how many workers have been on full time, and I don't know when the store is closing the doors for the last time in Victoria, but Target has only been open for about a year, so the average employee is likely to get no more than 2 weeks severance.

#367 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:24 PM

Exactly.  It makes for a nice news story that they're allocating tens of millions to their severance package for employees, but in reality it's just extended notice which they are forced into given they can't exactly keep the retreat out of Canada a secret.

Edited by pherthyl, 25 January 2015 - 05:25 PM.

• Nparker, martini and Jill like this

#368 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:33 PM

Exactly.  It makes for a nice news story that they're allocating tens of millions to their severance package for employees, but in reality it's just extended notice which they are forced into given they can't exactly keep the retreat out of Canada a secret.

Well, who's fault is it that some thought they were getting 4 weeks pay after their last shift?  Target, or the media?

#369 pherthyl

pherthyl
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 05:52 PM

Well, who's fault is it that some thought they were getting 4 weeks pay after their last shift?  Target, or the media?

Dunno.  Just dispelling the idea that Target is being exceptionally generous here (aside from to their CEO of course).

• martini and Jill like this

#370 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 25 January 2015 - 07:59 PM

The news is saying no severance...

As Target Canada prepares to shut its doors, key managers will walk away with thousands of dollars of extra cash, but none of its approximately 17,000 front-line workers will be so lucky. Target is not offering any severance.

https://ca.finance.y...-100000025.html

#371 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:13 AM

He may have very well been owed that money regardless of performance.

And that is OK with you when it is an executive but a holy crusade when we are talking about unionized workers?!?

Also no severance is required for termination with just cause such as catching an employee stealing, etc

I would suggest that the former CEO of Target Canada was stealing every time he took a paycheque. 

• martini likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#372 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:17 AM

And that is OK with you when it is an executive but a holy crusade when we are talking about unionized workers?!?

Ya, share-holders approved his salary package.

#373 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:35 AM

Doubtful VHF, the board would have done that. Many large corporations have boards loaded with cross-appointments among cronies and business associates. It's been said that a lot of the most egregious private sector compensation deals are arrangements between people who know each other, mutual back-scratching.

Edited by johnk, 26 January 2015 - 11:36 AM.

• martini and Jill like this

#374 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:43 AM

Doubtful VHF, the board would have done that. Many large corporations have boards loaded with cross-appointments among cronies and business associates. It's been said that a lot of the most egregious private sector compensation deals are arrangements between people who know each other, mutual back-scratching.

The shareholders elect all directors.  Nobody is appointed.  Now, it's true that many shareholders allow their vote to be handled by others (proxy), but what you describe is not allowed with publicly traded companies.

#375 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:44 AM

The boards are elected by shareholders and the board determines executive pay. Shareholders are often given the opportunity for a non-binding vote on executive compensation. Most public company boards are not full of cronies. Most large public companies have large private shareholders who won't allow that to happen.

#376 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

^ Yes, esp. big institutional investors, that are far more interested in seeing a good return on the money they invest, than see few select cronies on the board.

#377 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 12:38 PM

I would suggest that the former CEO of Target Canada was stealing every time he took a paycheque. 

I'm not saying that, I'm just negating the class warfare statement you made.

There is plenty of waste everywhere and plenty of people receiving compensation that they may not deserve.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#378 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 26 January 2015 - 02:01 PM

And businesses sign contracts with unions. So what?  I beleve that the Target CEO should be charged with a conspiracy to defraud along with whomever drafted and approved his ridiculous contract.

• martini likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#379 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:53 PM

The end is near.

Target has confirmed that liquidation sales at all its Canadian stores start Thursday.

The company told CBC News stores will be offering up to a 30 per cent discount on merchandise.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...2945171?cmp=rss

#380 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,775 posts

Posted 04 February 2015 - 01:56 PM

The company told CBC News stores will be offering up to a 30 per cent discount on merchandise

30%...Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• martini, LocalMom and dasmo like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Facebook (1)