BUILT
Capital Park Office, building 1
Uses: office, commercial
Address: 500-block of Superior Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Urban core
Storeys: 5
Capital Park Office, building one, is the first of two office phases (with ground floor commercial space) of C... (view full profile)
Learn more about Capital Park Office, building 1 on Citified.ca
Photo

[James Bay] Capital Park | Mixed-use office, commercial, residential | 5-storeys | Under construction

Office Commercial

• Please log in to reply
794 replies to this topic

#501 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:18 AM

I suppose the very daring can still ride right down the middle of that stairwell without dismounting.  It'd be no problem for anyone skilled on the balance beam in gymnastics.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 16 October 2017 - 06:19 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#502 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:03 AM

Very nice. Is it fully rented now?

I'm thinking it must be, as the Concert website is showing waitlists  - 

http://www.concertpr...park-residences

Can anyone remind me what the rental rates were for the various units here, and the square footages?

#503 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:07 AM

Here’s what we have: http://victoria.citi...nces-james-bay/

372 - 765 square feet. No info on pricing but it might have been mentioned somewhere in this thread.
  • Kungsberg likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#504 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:22 AM

I suppose the very daring can still ride right down the middle of that stairwell without dismounting.  It'd be no problem for anyone skilled on the balance beam in gymnastics.

You might be too high, bean your head on those pipes.

#505 Shack

Shack
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:17 AM

Here’s what we have: http://victoria.citi...nces-james-bay/
372 - 765 square feet. No info on pricing but it might have been mentioned somewhere in this thread.

Smaller one bedrooms were in the $1400's, 1+den in the $1600's Can't remember the studios or the 2 bedrooms.

• Kungsberg likes this

#506 iambach

iambach
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:27 PM

I saw in an article that the second phase would be done in 2019 but on the capital park website it says that the condos are coming 2018. I think that means the office space in the second phase won't be done until after the condos - but am not perfectly sure - can anyone confirm if the condos are still expected to be done in 2018?

Also has anyone heard anything re a sales center? I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy in either vivid or capital park (and would prefer capital park because it will be done 2 yrs sooner) but am putting all my eggs in one basket by holding out for capital park since vivid is about ready to sell units. .

Edited by iambach, 16 October 2017 - 03:29 PM.

#507 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:38 PM

A1 $1275
A2 $1295
B1 $1425
B2 $1525
B3 $1550
C1 $1525
C3 $1750
D1 $2245

Attached Images

• A1.JPG
  • A2.JPG
  • B1.JPG
  • B2.JPG
  • B3.JPG
  • C1.JPG
  • C3.JPG
  • D1.JPG

Edited by LV, 16 October 2017 - 04:02 PM.

• Mike K. and Kungsberg like this

#508 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 03:51 PM

A few more interior pics.  

Very similar interior finishings & colour scheme as Era (a Concert property) and 595 Pandora (Ceilio?) but slightly less luxurious as it's a rental of course.

1.  1 bedroom closet

2.  Ensuite laundry

3.  1 bedroom kitchen

4.  studio kitchen

5.  studio bed area

6.  studio living room

That studio living room area looks tight.. not sure how I'd feel having my dishwasher in the living room area, but I suppose with 392 sq feet, them's the breaks!

Attached Images

• 1 Bed Closet 1.jpg
  • Typical Laundry.jpg
  • 1 Bed Kitchen 1.jpg
  • Studio Kitchen 1.jpg
  • Studio Bed Area.jpg
  • 2nd floor view, wires.jpg

• Mike K. and Kungsberg like this

#509 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:10 PM

Looks pretty bleak and depressing. A modern mid range mini kitchen hardly makes this worth hundreds more per month than a much larger unit in an older building.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#510 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:39 PM

A modern mid range mini kitchen hardly makes this worth hundreds more per month than a much larger unit in an older building.

I hope those aren't Sears appliances.  :rtfm:

• grantpalin likes this

#511 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 07:13 PM

I saw in an article that the second phase would be done in 2019 but on the capital park website it says that the condos are coming 2018. I think that means the office space in the second phase won't be done until after the condos - but am not perfectly sure - can anyone confirm if the condos are still expected to be done in 2018?

Also has anyone heard anything re a sales center? I'm trying to decide whether I want to buy in either vivid or capital park (and would prefer capital park because it will be done 2 yrs sooner) but am putting all my eggs in one basket by holding out for capital park since vivid is about ready to sell units. .

Something to consider is the price point, which could actually be higher at Capital Park.

Vivid's pricing starts at ~$280k and goes up to only $550k for a top-floor 2BR (that's what we've been told when the project was announced), plus $35k for parking, so $315k to $585k with a parking stall.

I would imagine pricing at Capital Park will start in the range of $350k-$400k and parking may not be included with the smallest units.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#512 iambach

iambach
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:21 AM

Something to consider is the price point, which could actually be higher at Capital Park.

Vivid's pricing starts at ~$280k and goes up to only $550k for a top-floor 2BR (that's what we've been told when the project was announced), plus $35k for parking, so $315k to $585k with a parking stall.

I would imagine pricing at Capital Park will start in the range of $350k-$400k and parking may not be included with the smallest units.

Yes - in so many ways I would prefer Vivid (price and location being two big reasons) but ultimately they should both be great buildings to get into. All things considered the fact that Capital Park is (I think????) done in 2018 makes Capital Park a fairly strong preference (over waiting until.. 2020? for Vivid).

Is anyone able to shed some light on Capital Park? When will buildings go on sale? When will condos be able to take occupancy? I wish I knew these things haha.

#513 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

...When will condos be able to take occupancy? ...

They'll have to start building the condos at Capital Park first. 

#514 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:16 AM

2 Bed 2 Bath 687 square feet? I live in a One bed + den at 700 square feet and think that is small. Are these marketed as micro apartments?

#515 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 08:27 AM

2 Bed 2 Bath 687 square feet?...Are these marketed as micro apartments?

687 square feet is considered a good size by today's standards. I think "micro units" are generally around 300 s/f and under.

My 2 bedroom/1 bath condo is just under 900 square feet and I feel crowded sometimes myself - and I live alone.

#516 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 09:01 AM

The original timetable (at time of approval early-2015) was:

Phase 1 (first govt office bldg at 525 Superior St; Menzies St bldgs - library, Red Barn, rental apts above; and relocated heritage houses):  2 years (late-2015 to late-2017) - that's pretty much completed

Phase 2 (second govt office bldg on Superior St and cont. work on central square/pavillion): 2 years (late-2017 to late-2019) - work is already started

Phase 3 (Michigan St residential - condo acts, townhouses):  2 years (late-2019 to late-2021)

But here are some minutes from the update that Robert Jawl gave to the JBNA in July 2017.  As you can see, it seems that Phase 3 (what you seem to be most interested in...the residential condos) is going to start earlier than originally forecast (early 2018 instead of late 2019).  

Capital Park Update. Presenting � Robert Jawl, Jawl Properties

Robert presented a power point update of the project.  Work started in 2014 with concepts and designs; a full application was presented to the City in Sept 2014.  This application was approved in the spring of 2015.  Work started in the summer of 2015. Phase 1 of Capital Park commenced and as of July 2017, the buildings facing Menzies and Superior (Buildings B & A1) are almost complete.  Phase 2 (facing Superior and up to the Queen's Printer Building on Government) will commence in approximately 2 months (Oct 2017).  Phase 3 which has residential buildings C D E along Michigan will commence early 2018.

Phase 1:

525 Superior is an office building facing Superior St and will be complete by fall of 2017. Ministries of Children and Families and Environment (approximately 650 people) will move in to the buildings starting in Sept 2017 and byOct 2017 will be fully functional.  

355 Menzies St is 53 rental apartments on the 2nd, 3rd & 4th floors with the ground floor occupied by Red Barn Market Menzies & Michigan) and the James Bay Branch of the Victoria Public Library (Menzies & Superior).  Underground parking access will be in mid-block off of Menzies between the library and Red Barn Market.  The 7000 sq ft Library Branch, opening approximately January 2018, will consist of a reading room and computer labs as well as meeting rooms for community non-library usage.  The Apartments are being leased now with move-in scheduled forOct 1 2017- 35 of the 53 units have already been spoken for.  

Phase 2:

545 Superior St will be a second office building very similar to the 525 Superior office building.  It will also be occupied by Government departments with some commercial space on the main floor.   

The Plaza area completion is part of Phase 2 and is targeted for completion by fall of 2018.  Good Earth café will be the tenant in the Plaza.  

Underground parking is also part of Phase 2 with a second access point near the eastern end of the office building off Superior. 

Excavation for the remaining plaza area is expected to start mid Sept 2017 with deconstruction of existing buildings to commence Oct 2017.  Expected to be a 2 year build out for new office building.

Phase 3:

Residential, including 2 strata apartment buildings and one strata townhouse building facing Michigan St. is scheduled to commence as soon as feasible once the phase 2 construction has progressed sufficiently.

Design work for the residential buildings in phase 3 is not yet completed.  All parking for the residential buildings will be located underground.

• Mike K., Nparker and iambach like this

#517 LV

LV
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 10:53 AM

Also, for the residential rental building, parking (underground) is $160/month, storage units are $25/month (small/med), $35/month (large).

I inquired if there'd be customer parking for Red Barn or the James Bay library, but was told no.  Seems slightly odd to me, how can a grocery store not have any customer parking?  

• VicHockeyFan and Kungsberg like this

#518 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:02 AM

...how can a grocery store not have any customer parking?  

Because in the rose-coloured world, everyone walks to get all the groceries they need carrying reusable bags with them at all times.

• LV likes this

#519 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:06 AM

Yes - in so many ways I would prefer Vivid (price and location being two big reasons) but ultimately they should both be great buildings to get into. All things considered the fact that Capital Park is (I think????) done in 2018 makes Capital Park a fairly strong preference (over waiting until.. 2020? for Vivid).

Is anyone able to shed some light on Capital Park? When will buildings go on sale? When will condos be able to take occupancy? I wish I knew these things haha.

Realistically we can expect these condos finish by mid-2019 if work begins in early 2018.

Will the upcoming condo phase require its own underground component or has that already been built/excavated as part of phase one? If that's the case, mid-2019 for sure, otherwise you'll be looking at mid-2020 if they have to build from the ground up.

Concert will start making moves soon at Tapestry, which will be followed up with Capital Park. I will put the feelers out regarding tentative schedules.

Know it all.

#520 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 11:10 AM

Well, is there maybe some short-term spots on the street for grocery p/u?

When Shoppers expands downtown, it'll have a pretty big food section.  It'll be interesting to see how that goes.  I never really notice, how many of the Market on Yates shoppers are in cars?  I've never really even noted their parking lot policy or how full it is.

• Kapten Kapsell likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users