Floatplane / seaplane services in Victoria - Harbour Air | Kenmore Air

• Please log in to reply
684 replies to this topic

#361 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

You lose money by turning it into a public plaza which would have capital cost and ongoing maintenance costs.
  • jonny likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#362 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 07:56 AM

I don't understand how one can't see that turning a revenue generating space into a public space is expensive over the short and long terms.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - what's behind the constant drive for more public space downtown? It's like an obsession. Are we hoarding public space just in case we might need it at some point in the future?

#363 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:01 AM

Public space is a key piece of defense for the coming Zombie Apocalypse.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#364 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 08:09 AM

I don't understand how one can't see that turning a revenue generating space into a public space is expensive over the short and long terms.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - what's behind the constant drive for more public space downtown? It's like an obsession. Are we hoarding public space just in case we might need it at some point in the future?

I don't understand it either.  Has anyone ever heard this complaint?  "I really like downtown Victoria, but it sure is hard to find any public space to occupy".  We already have a large whack of public space at the harbour - the lawn and walkways around the parliament buildings, and the upper and lower causeway, and the Empress grounds (private but open to anyone), even Bastion Square and the wide sidewalks of Government St.

I'm all in favour of extending the walkway around the edge of this property, but let's not turn the whole thing into a boring square with no revenue.

vhhh.png

• Bingo likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#365 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:04 AM

I love the idea of a good walkway with some (not lots) public space surrounding it, but think this area would be best served by increased residential and/or commercial that would create much more vibrancy than public spaces that would empty most of the time.

#366 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 09:23 AM

Public space is part of the anti-development toolkit. Turning whatever land they can into public space means private development can't occur there. It's Victoria management 101.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#367 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 01:26 PM

I really think that space would be a waste to be commercial or residential. This is an opportunity to reclaim for the public, a space that has been occupied in trailers for years. And this isn't an extension of the walkway. Take a look and you will see that the traditional heritage city bollards have been along there for years, but the walkway went nowhere. Now it will be part of what I hope will be a grand walkway around Victoria Harbour. I'm normally in favour of development, but I think using this as a public plaza is the right call here.

• Bingo likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#368 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,618 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:40 PM

The  thing to consider is that these open spaces make great festival locations. This is the only reason I can get behind retaining the element of open space in these spots. The busing festival would have been world class in a setting besides a parking lot...  I can see generating revenue by leasing to more food containers in these areas. Just look a the red fish blue fish success. These would be compatible with open, public space. Best of both worlds!

#369 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 02:45 PM

The  thing to consider is that these open spaces make great festival locations. This is the only reason I can get behind retaining the element of open space in these spots. The busing festival would have been world class in a setting besides a parking lot...  I can see generating revenue by leasing to more food containers in these areas. Just look a the red fish blue fish success. These would be compatible with open, public space. Best of both worlds!

Is that the best we can do, consider another shipping container/take-out?  How about we put some zoining in place, and sell it to the private sector and see how cool a thing they make there.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#370 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,618 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:01 PM

They won't make a festival venue that's for sure.

#371 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:25 PM

They won't make a festival venue that's for sure.

Are we short of festival venues right now?

#372 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:40 PM

^Why does every believe so readily that because Red Fish Blue Fish was a success anything in a container will now be a success?!? Chances are it was a fluke or just pure luck with a top notch chief?

Edited by sdwright.vic, 01 August 2014 - 04:08 PM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#373 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,618 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 03:58 PM

No, because we have three large waterfront parking lots downtown...

#374 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:09 PM

We have the huge eyesores on the waterfront.

Public Space doesn't have to mean empty space.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 01 August 2014 - 04:15 PM.

#375 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,618 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

^Why does every believe so readily that because Red Fish Blue Fish was a success anything in a container will now be a success?!? Chances are it was a fluke or just pure luck with a top notch chief?

Been to fisherman's warf recently?

#376 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

Yeah and that's not a good example in comparison to this situation either. Fisherman's Wharfs fit a concept and mold... ours just finally caught up.

#377 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,618 posts

Posted 01 August 2014 - 04:55 PM

I'm not advocating open space. I am advocating flexible space.... I'm not sure they all need it but it should be considered. The parking lots are not nice that's for sure but the festivals that take place in them sure have been.
  • dasmo likes this

#378 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,516 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 August 2014 - 05:37 PM

West Coast Air has been flying low, managed to grab this:

WCA.jpg

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#379 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:12 AM

Yesterday and today screwed up Harbour Air.  Helijet too, but not as bad.

#380 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 10 October 2014 - 07:26 AM

When does construction start on the new floatplane terminal?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users