Floatplane / seaplane services in Victoria - Harbour Air | Kenmore Air

• Please log in to reply
682 replies to this topic

#401 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 02:24 PM

The only backup is on the twin engine DHC 6's.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#402 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:17 PM

Forward/backward movement of the yoke (the steering wheel thingy in front of you) controls the pitch, or nose up/down attitude of the plane.  Side to side controls the ailerons, which control the roll.  Rudder pedals control yaw, which is side-to-side movement of the nose.  Power lever (far left on the throttle quadrant) controls the power that the engine produces.

Little rolly wheel at the side of the pilot's seat is a trim wheel, which 'trims' the control forces needed to keep the nose level.

Im sure, VHF, that if you were up front, and had to, you'd manage (after a little excitement ;-) to keep it pretty much straight and level.  Its not that much different than driving a car, or riding a motorcycle.  Successfully anding might be a different matter....

• Dr. Barillas likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#403 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 02 April 2015 - 06:56 PM

Im sure, VHF, that if you were up front, and had to, you'd manage (after a little excitement ;-) to keep it pretty much straight and level.  Its not that much different than driving a car, or riding a motorcycle.  Successfully anding might be a different matter....

How long after I figure out the radio headset, do I get a qualified Otter pilot on the line to talk me down?

That's what I need.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#404 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 05:44 AM

Forward/backward movement of the yoke (the steering wheel thingy in front of you) controls the pitch, or nose up/down attitude of the plane. Side to side controls the ailerons, which control the roll. Rudder pedals control yaw, which is side-to-side movement of the nose. Power lever (far left on the throttle quadrant) controls the power that the engine produces.
Little rolly wheel at the side of the pilot's seat is a trim wheel, which 'trims' the control forces needed to keep the nose level.

Isn't there also some type of a lever that resembles a car hand parking brake? The pilot seems to pump that a few times.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#405 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 01:52 PM

Isn't there also some type of a lever that resembles a car hand parking brake? The pilot seems to pump that a few times.

I think that's the pilot ejection seat whatchamacallit.

#406 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 03 April 2015 - 03:18 PM

Handle for the hydraulic pump for the flaps.  If you watch the trailing edge of the wing closest to the fuselage, you'll see the flaps being either extended or retracted, depending on the phase of flight. (Out for takeoff and landing, in for cruise.)

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#407 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 April 2015 - 08:44 PM

A shot from one of the passengers that was onboard the emergency landed-floatplane:

https://twitter.com/...684206598848512

#408 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:22 AM

Fog has caused flight cancellations for Harbour Air and its ilk this morning. YYJ is unaffected.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#409 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:48 AM

Fog has caused flight cancellations for Harbour Air and its ilk this morning. YYJ is unaffected.

Right on schedule.  Helijet is flying.

#410 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 September 2015 - 07:14 AM

pea-soup bike ride to work this morning, that's for sure. Felt like I was breathing in water and nothing else sometimes.

• nagel likes this

#411 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 06:26 PM

Hey, when is the new Harbour Air float plane terminal going to be put in place? Is it supposed to be the end of this year?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#412 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 09:03 PM

IMG_9730.jpg

• Mike K., sebberry and Gary H like this

#413 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:41 PM

Amazing Harbour Air experience I felt I should share.

Arrived at YVR at 11 am, earlier than expected, and called the shuttle to take me to the south terminal. I had booked 530 because I didn't think I could make the 1230. No planes were scheduled between those times. The shuttle guy called the terminal and they said the 1230 was full, but if I was willing to take the sky train I could get on the 130 for just a 9 dollar fee. They honoured the discounted fare I had prepaid.

I am so impressed by the thought put in by the driver and the way they seamlessly transfered me. It isnt everyday that people use their brain like this and really care. I will make a point of also giving this feedback to the company.

#414 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 October 2015 - 12:57 PM

My experience with them is always top notch. Last time took them I was wait listed for discounted flight and sure enough I got the phone call to say I could come. Easy.

#415 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 05 October 2015 - 10:47 AM

Yup, they're on top of their game for sure.

Know it all.

#416 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 12:35 PM

New float plane terminal should be in the harbour by Jan. and open by April.

2e57fd1.jpg

Edited by goke, 14 October 2015 - 12:37 PM.

#417 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,236 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 03:18 PM

That will be a great improvement. And the fact that it is a floating structure, frees up the harbour walkway. There are still bollards in place from when that was still a used walkway...now it will be part of the David Foster pathway.

• Mike K. likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#418 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 October 2015 - 04:06 PM

What's the labelling on that diagram?

#419 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:12 AM

New float-plane terminal set to arrive in March

4295vicnewsVN-seaplaneterminalPOct2115-W

posted Oct 21, 2015 at 8:00 AM
— Pamela Roth

It’s been five years in the making, but a new float-plane terminal for Victoria’s Inner Harbour should be in place by March.

The 6,000-square foot $4-million facility is currently being constructed in Cowichan Bay. When complete, the terminal will have a modern and rustic design that will include a full customs area complete with a jail and interrogation room — floating on top of the water.

“A floating sea plane terminal will be a signature building in the Inner Harbour,” said Randy Wright, senior vice-president of Harbour Air.

“I think the one thing that I’m excited about is there will be nothing like it in the world.”

According to Wright, the current facility, located on lower Wharf Street, uses Atco trailers that were originally flown in 50 years ago. The trailers were renovated four years ago and will be demolished once the new terminal is in place.

A new public plaza will replace the existing terminal site as part of the signing of a new long-term lease between the City of Victoria and float-plane operators.

http://www.vicnews.c.../335069611.html
  • Nparker likes this

#420 Kach

Kach

SteveK

• 277 posts

Posted 22 October 2015 - 11:24 AM

This looks great.  Any potential to be used by other modes of transportation (boat link to Vancouver, commuter boat link to Royal Bay) as well as other operators noted named Harbour or Kenmore? 

I assume Kenmore Air would move operations to this location.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users