Photo

Local road and highway development, conditions

• Please log in to reply
3745 replies to this topic

#2481 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

Millstream Interchange is getting dual left turn lanes onto TCH Victoria bound...

One of the more poorly designed overpasses in the region. A full clover-leaf is needed here; instead it is an abundance of lights and turn lanes.  :whyme:

#2482 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:33 AM

and everyone who comes off VM in the M_F morning commute to Vic will be backed up all the way to Sooke.

It will be like an endless train of cars.

The Westshore connector really needs to open soon.

#2483 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:40 AM

Not sure if this has been discussed before but Wilkinson and Interurban is ripe for a traffic circle. Remove the lights for the 5 way intersection and I bet traffic will flow a lot more freely. 

• jonny and On the Level like this

#2484 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:41 AM

Thats great now the gridlock of people merging once on the highway will be compounded

and the backup of cars heading towards Costco on Millstream /VM will extend past Goldstream

I don't see why they can't keep two lanes for both north and southbound approaches to the eastbound onramp.  Some properly thought out traffic light timing would help with that.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#2485 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:43 AM

Ah, very good! I've updated the TCH thread with the info, too.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2486 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:44 AM

they were discussing that on CBC Radio yesterday. Province owns a lots of surplus land in front of the Jail. Talk was about adding 1 extra lane from Carey rd to Interurban. and removing the traffic lights at Interurban. The remain properties would be expropriated. they can expropriate up to 5% of land without compensation

An added problem with Wilkinson is all the commercial trucks using that road as a short cut even though they have been banned on that road for about 10 years now maybe more. There is no enforcement.

#2487 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 07:53 AM

Thats great now the gridlock of people merging once on the highway will be compounded

and the backup of cars heading towards Costco on Millstream /VM will extend past Goldstream

It's mostly a cure for heavy weekend traffic, though. The line-ups can be insane on a Saturday afternoon.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2488 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:01 AM

people just are not using the Leigh Rd interchange as much as they could be on weekends

There is an access to it on teh Rd next to Coop Gas - Lakewood Elementary and up past Costco

I think that what they need is an overpass above the existing overpass...a double decker overpass

#2489 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:03 AM

Yeah, you're right. But I think the fact that McCallum sort of snakes its way around and deviates for a kilometre or two before drivers hit the TCH, it's not seen as a viable alternative. I personally use it all the time, to and fro that area, but most don't.

Know it all.

#2490 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:22 AM

Couldn't this whole Millstream Rd situation be largely solved if another Costco was built somewhere on the peninsula?

#2491 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 08:42 AM

I have asked at Costco... they are looking for land and say it appears to be 5 years out in their forcast.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 21 April 2017 - 08:42 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#2492 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:22 AM

No because Costco isn't the only reason for the traffic

#2493 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:28 AM

Was it just an employee that told you that they are looking or their head office. .

Even if they open another location it's not going to affect business at langford because of population growth on the west shore area and cvrd

#2494 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

It's mostly a cure for heavy weekend traffic, though. The line-ups can be insane on a Saturday afternoon.

So what? Who cares. Residents of the area know how to get around it. Let victoria drivers who don't know how to use a map suffer the consequences.

#2495 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 11:12 AM

^ It was a Manager who even admitted they planned to go into the big box shop on the Pat Bay Highway. They said if that would of been built it would of ho e there, but now they are thinking going it alone.

#2496 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:01 PM

I hope they fix the traffic light timing across the overpass. Right now when 1 turns green the other just ahead of it turns red.

Insanity

#2497 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:42 PM

This Millstream change seems like the best solution without costing a ton of taxpayer dollars.

Edited by lanforod, 21 April 2017 - 01:46 PM.

#2498 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 April 2017 - 01:47 PM

We've discussed a roundabout at Wilkinson and Interurban before. I don't know why Saanich doesn't tackle this.
Cheaper and simpler would be to close access to Hastings.
  • rjag likes this

#2499 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 02:30 PM

So what? Who cares. Residents of the area know how to get around it. Let victoria drivers who don't know how to use a map suffer the consequences.

Residents of Victoria want to travel through and see as little of Langford as absolutely possible when coming to and leaving Costco, hence the traffic jam.

:1954_dancing:

• sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#2500 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 05:03 PM

^And trust... Glenwood Meats and Costco are the only reason I go to Langford. If they opened one on the Saanich Peninsula... trust me I could give up Glenwood Meats and not affect your intersection ever again.

Edited by sdwright.vic, 21 April 2017 - 05:03 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users