2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#2061 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:12 PM

What do you like best about the NDP? The social justice nomination process where being bi, or trans, or anything other than straight white male gets your nominated over having actual ability or experience? How about the policy to replace white male candidates systematically until there are none left at all which obviously would be true equality right?
Or is it the radical dangerous drug use ideology? Big fan of poverty pimps and the homeless industry are you? That's the ndp wheelhouse after all

If I give you the answer I may be asked to cool it for a few days so I will plead the 5th

• Sparky likes this

#2062 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 10:13 PM

we need a change the dirty laundry had to be removed 16 years is too long for any tax collector

• RFS likes this

#2063 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 07:46 AM

It would be to the NDP's obvious advantage to let this ride for a while before calling the bye-election. Strong BC Lib seat. I also think it will behove the Greens to start putting as much distance as they can from the NDP. Many Green voters will abandon them if they are seen as minor puppets of Horgan and crew.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#2064 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:42 AM

It would be to the NDP's obvious advantage to let this ride for a while before calling the bye-election. Strong BC Lib seat. I also think it will behove the Greens to start putting as much distance as they can from the NDP. Many Green voters will abandon them if they are seen as minor puppets of Horgan and crew.

Yep and Therein lies Weavers great strategic miscalculation. Blew the opportunity of a life time. By now most voters have probably forgotten there was even a green-ndp agreement
  • DavidSchell likes this

#2065 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:12 AM

The only rumblings we can attribute to the Green Party as of late are Sonia Furstenau's complaints in regards to driving a congested Malahat.

The Green Party has already lost votes, Hotel Mike. When we finally go back to the polls I'll wager their share of the votes will wane by 33-50%.

• DavidSchell likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2066 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:31 AM

What do you like best about the NDP? The social justice nomination process where being bi, or trans, or anything other than straight white male gets your nominated over having actual ability or experience? How about the policy to replace white male candidates systematically until there are none left at all which obviously would be true equality right?
Or is it the radical dangerous drug use ideology? Big fan of poverty pimps and the homeless industry are you? That's the ndp wheelhouse after all

Don't forget reducing the age of consent so that gay men can sleep with young adults.

#2067 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 11:56 AM

Don't forget reducing the age of consent so that gay men can sleep with young adults.

I think that was the aim of the right?...https://www.washingt...st-draw8&wpmm=1

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2068 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:51 PM

Junior partners in coalitions (Or supply-confidence, or whatever) generally get slaughtered in the next election. Cases in point: Liberal Democrats in the 2015 UK Elections, or the Dutch Labour Party and the French Greens in their respective elections earlier this year. Its starting to seem questionable as a minor party leader to enter ANY formal agreement with another party now, since your own voters will punish you. 

#2069 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:42 PM

Stewart is going to run again in Kelowna in Clarks riding.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2070 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 08:49 PM

Stewart is going to run again in Kelowna in Clarks riding.

And its already being speculated that Clark will run for the federal Liberals in 2019. The only question is: Where exactly is she going to run? The area she represented 2001-2005? (Port Moody-Coquitlam, held by Fin Donnelly, NDP?) 2011-2013 (Vancouver-Quadra, Liberal-held?) Or 2013-2017 (Kelowna-Lake Country, also Liberal-held)? My bet is that if they do run her (Which would probably kill about a third of Trudeau's support in BC right off the bat) it'll be in Central Okanagan-Similkameen-Nicola, which is currently Conservative held but the Liberals only lost by two percent last time and part of it was in Christy's most recent riding 

#2071 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 01 August 2017 - 09:51 PM

Strikes me more of a Conservative Party candidate (albiet, one of the more center ones on the political spectrum).

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#2072 John M.

John M.

John M.

• 414 posts

Posted 01 August 2017 - 10:01 PM

Strikes me more of a Conservative Party candidate (albiet, one of the more center ones on the political spectrum).

Christy has long been affiliated with the Liberal Party of Canada, going back to her university days. 

• jonny likes this

#2073 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:45 AM

Christy has long been affiliated with the Liberal Party of Canada, going back to her university days. 

Right.

Don't forget that we live in Bizarro world BC where everybody who is more moderate than Niki Ashton is basically considered a Ronald Reagan clone by a good 30% of the Province and the majority of our talking heads.

• lanforod likes this

#2074 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 07:56 AM

Twin Leaders feud: Horgan hosts $500/person golf game, Weaver does not approve, calls it 'outrageous'

Premier John Horgan, who has promised to get big money out of B.C. politics, is hosting a $500-a-head fundraising event at Bear Mountain Resort this month that will accept union and corporate donations.

The NDP is billing the event as the “Leader’s Golf Tournament” and inviting people to join Horgan and “MLA Rob Fleming” for a round of golf and a dinner reception on Thursday, Aug. 24.

MORE:

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#2075 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hearing through the grapevine that Carol James and Rob Fleming are throwing a 'Victory' party today for $500 a head. I guess that 'pay for access' didn't die with CC.

I wonder if they are sharing with the Greens?

Do we have any further information regarding spanky's post about James and Fleming hosting a $500/head event as part of a 'victory' party?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2076 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:13 AM

So Weaver says "we need to do politics different now", but Fleming shrugs it off as "this is the way we've always done it..."

#2077 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 August 2017 - 08:23 AM

A BC Liberal MLA, once considered a star candidate when he first ran for election, has admitted he threatened to quit the party if Christy Clark stayed on as leader.

Darryl Plecas told The Abbotsford News on Friday that Clark and her leadership team’s “top-down, small-circle” style and unwillingness to make decisions that might cost the party votes prompted his ultimatum, which took place at caucus retreat in Penticton shortly before the premier announced her resignation.

“I disagreed with the leadership, I wanted to see change and I wanted to make my point very forcefully because anyone who’s familiar with the history of the current leadership, there was no chance she was ever going to resign,” he said.

http://www.vicnews.c...-stayed-leader/

• Sparky likes this

#2078 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:27 AM

The day Clark announced her resignation, Plecas was to have issued his press release annnouncing his intentions to leave. And several other Liberal MLA's were likely to have followed suit.

I had a chance to see that press release. Crazy stuff.
  • jonny likes this

Know it all.

#2079 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:29 AM

His positions seem sound.

For example, why not increase welfare for disability, and end the trophy hunt.

Those are both good for the urban vote. With little harm to the rural vote provided you accoodate/compensate the hunting guides in some way.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 August 2017 - 08:31 AM.

• jonny likes this

#2080 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 06 August 2017 - 08:51 AM

The day Clark announced her resignation, Plecas was to have issued his press release annnouncing his intentions to leave. And several other Liberal MLA's were likely to have followed suit.

I had a chance to see that press release. Crazy stuff.

I think that Plecas is living in a bubble if he thinks that ANY party allows its members to freely speak and vote their minds. Sounds more like positioning for a power grab from a wounded leader not unlike what happened to Carole James.

• bluefox likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users