Photo

2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#1801 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:21 PM

It's within the power to make those decisions when there's an issue of confidence. Making those types of substantial decisions certainly has not happened yet. I'm sure the LG is briefed up on all the outcomes and have experts on stand by. But the scenario painted by your source is still more a made-for-movie scenario.

#1802 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:37 PM

B.C.’s Liberal government tried to use its dying days to ban union and corporate donations with the co-operation of the same opposition parties that later this week will likely topple the government with a non-confidence vote.

But any hopes for passage were short-lived, after the NDP and Green combined to kill the bill on its first reading.

Green leader Andrew Weaver said while he might support the idea, he can’t vote in favour of a Liberal government that has yet to truly test the confidence of the house since the May 9 election.

http://www.theprovin...9843/story.html

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 26 June 2017 - 01:37 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1803 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 01:40 PM

Want another reason why a quick BC election wouldn’t be a good idea for the Liberal caucus?

I can give you almost 400,000 of them.

A snap BC election held before May 2019 could cost second-term MLAs more than just their seat in the provincial legislature.

A loss at the polls could also cost them their MLA pensions.

That’s because, according to the Members Remuneration and Pensions Act, an MLA “is not entitled to a pension unless he or she has served in the Legislature for at least six years.”

As a bit of foundation, it makes sense to explain how the MLA Pension Plan works.

Members contribute 11% of their pre-tax salary to pension. Taxpayers then add four dollars for each dollar the member contributes. On a base salary of $109,000, an MLA’s pension principal will grow by almost $60,000 each year.

MLAs who don’t acquire that six years of service get back their contributions (with interest); they forfeit government contributions — a loss of almost $50,000 a year (or $200,000 over the first four years of their terms.)

For those MLAs who were first elected in May 2013 — there are 24 of them, including 18 Liberals, five New Democrats and Green Leader Andrew Weaver — six years of service doesn’t occur until May 2019.

It makes you wonder what might be going through the minds of those 24 MLAs — especially Liberal MLAs — as they ponder what appears to be a Liberal strategy to force a snap provincial election.

Almost $400,000 in free money set aside for retirement is a mighty big inducement for someone pondering their political future.

http://osoyoostoday....-election-call/

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1804 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:31 PM

And some still claimed per diems for meals despite living 10km away. Happiness is a good place at the trough.
  • Nparker likes this

#1805 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:57 PM

I doubt that source because it would be so unlawful and contrary to Constitutional convention to have already made a decision like that on the part of the LG. Seems unbelievable.

I think what you may be overlooking is that the NDP may have told the LG that they support a new election as well. If the NDP believes that the anti-CC vote will hold and that they will get a large portion of the Green vote now that Weaver has shown his hand then why not try to get a majority?

#1806 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:17 PM

Today the NDP and Greens voted against campaign finance reform and giving party status to the Greens.    According to Standing Order 77 of the BC Legislature these bills (or ones substantively the same) can not be re-introduced in this session  

A new session only starts in this parliament when the 2nd Throne Speech has been passed.   The Liberal will not pass so an NDP Throne speech would be the first of the session.    

#1807 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 26 June 2017 - 03:38 PM

I wish we'd just get on with an NDP government already so we can see the mess they make.  We'll be crying to have Christy back in no time. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1808 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 04:10 PM

I think what you may be overlooking is that the NDP may have told the LG that they support a new election as well. If the NDP believes that the anti-CC vote will hold and that they will get a large portion of the Green vote now that Weaver has shown his hand then why not try to get a majority?

The LG cannot have those discussions with the NDP, yet. This still continues to be a fairytale. I'm not saying it couldn't happen. But there isn't a secret plan yet. And ultimately Elections BC would be at the table to set a date. The LG's responsible for the writ only.

#1809 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 26 June 2017 - 10:15 PM

The LG cannot have those discussions with the NDP, yet. This still continues to be a fairytale. I'm not saying it couldn't happen. But there isn't a secret plan yet. And ultimately Elections BC would be at the table to set a date. The LG's responsible for the writ only.

Elections BC does not set the date, that is the prerogative of the LG on advice of the first minister and without advice she can choose the Tuesday for the vote (or Wednesday if there is a holiday Monday)

#1810 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 08:41 AM

Today the NDP and Greens voted against campaign finance reform and giving party status to the Greens.    According to Standing Order 77 of the BC Legislature these bills (or ones substantively the same) can not be re-introduced in this session  

A new session only starts in this parliament when the 2nd Throne Speech has been passed.   The Liberal will not pass so an NDP Throne speech would be the first of the session.    

I am having a hard time believing that the NDP and Greens would not be aware of the rules. 

#1811 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:16 AM

I am having a hard time believing that the NDP and Greens would not be aware of the rules. 

I am not because few people have read the details of parliamentary procedure and many people are making claims that are simply not supported by what is written down.   I will add that took out a copy of Parliamentary Procedure in BC (4th Edition) about three weeks ago from the Legislative Library.   I was amazed that there not a lot of copies and they were not all signed out.  Mine is copy 5 and not only has it never been taken out in close to 10 years, I am 99% certain I am the first person to open it.

• VicHockeyFan and 57WestHills like this

#1812 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

Well I'll admit that if you are looking to screw up the NDP/Green alliance quickly then preventing the Green's from being given party status (and pay increases) and preventing them from enacting campaign reform are two very good places to start.

Edited by spanky123, 27 June 2017 - 09:23 AM.

#1813 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:33 PM

I am not because few people have read the details of parliamentary procedure and many people are making claims that are simply not supported by what is written down.   I will add that took out a copy of Parliamentary Procedure in BC (4th Edition) about three weeks ago from the Legislative Library.   I was amazed that there not a lot of copies and they were not all signed out.  Mine is copy 5 and not only has it never been taken out in close to 10 years, I am 99% certain I am the first person to open it.

To be fair, the people who really need to be familiar with Parliamentary Procedure in British Columbia don't need to borrow a copy from the Legislative Library.

#1814 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 12:56 PM

Elections BC does not set the date, that is the prerogative of the LG on advice of the first minister and without advice she can choose the Tuesday for the vote (or Wednesday if there is a holiday Monday)

Reread my post. Your friends info is still bad; and still totally probable.

#1815 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:34 AM

Is today the day that the music is going to die in the legislature, and the unions grab ahold of our province once again and treat it like a red headed step son?

#1816 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 05:45 AM

It is sounding a lot like the red headed step son may get a reprieve for another month.

#1817 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:23 AM

I think we'll have another election, yeah. Nice thing about snap elections though, is the short campaign period.

#1818 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:50 AM

I will be shocked if the LG calls a snap election. For better or worse, Horgan deserves a shot at governing if Christy loses confidence today as expected.

#1819 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 07:58 AM

Still a chance I supppse that a Liberal defects sits as an independent and agrees to be speaker. Pay raise plus gets to the 6 year mark for a pension.

#1820 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 29 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

^ Could be although that would be risky for the MLA as a Green/NDP rift would still topple the Government. Would make a lot more sense to go the other way.

If I was setting odds it would be better than 50/50 for an election.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users