2017 BC General Election + subsequent fallout

• Please log in to reply
2617 replies to this topic

#1761 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,688 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:47 PM

Lol, 16% is what the Greens managed to get, let's not forget.

And let's also not forget that the CFAX demographics are highly skewed in favour of folks who vote!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#1762 57WestHills

57WestHills
  • 1,272 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:49 PM

That description of CFAX listeners is generous lol.

This whole mess has made me hate everyone even more, but more inclined to continue voting Green. Not sure if any of you heard Sam Sullivan this morning on CBC. What a train wreck that interview was. Liberals adopt NDP platform for throne speech. Uh huh.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#1763 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 03:43 PM

Having two leaders is really going to be difficult, lol.

The B.C. Greens won’t support the NDP’s plan to remove the use of secret ballots for employees seeking to form unions.

Green Leader Andrew Weaver said he’s adamantly opposed to the idea, and will fight the NDP if the party tries to push forward. The NDP needs the Green party’s three votes to pass any legislation.

“I will never support legislation that will eliminate the secret ballot,” Weaver said in an interview. “It’s simply not going to happen. And no amount of convincing will ever convince me to do that.”

Weaver said he’s told Horgan repeatedly that the Greens won’t back the labour-code change.

“It’s never going to happen,” said Weaver. “I told them that at the negotiating table multiple times.”

Power-sharing talks between the NDP and Greens wrapped up May 30. And yet, despite being told the Greens opposed the idea, Horgan reiterated his pledge at a meeting of the B.C. Government and Services Employees Union on June 16 in Vancouver.

http://vancouversun....-secret-ballots

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1764 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 20 June 2017 - 04:33 PM

Is the bromance already showing signs of cracks?

• jonny and Daveyboy like this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1765 Daveyboy

Daveyboy
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 05:22 PM

Is the bromance already showing signs of cracks?

I'm predicting a November election :banana:

#1766 LJ

LJ
  • 12,773 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:50 PM

Andrew Weaver was solidly in support of Site C when he was invited up to the ground breaking ceremony. His voice was urging the government to get on with the project and quit stalling. Now, not so much.

• jonny likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#1767 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 June 2017 - 07:55 PM

Andrew Weaver was solidly in support of Site C when he was invited up to the ground breaking ceremony. His voice was urging the government to get on with the project and quit stalling. Now, not so much.

Green Leader Andrew Weaver was once a champion of the project. A photo of the event where the Site C dam project was launched, on April 19, 2010, shows his smiling face several rows behind then-premier Gordon Campbell. Mr. Weaver was invited to attend the splashy event as a renowned climate scientist who endorsed this massive clean energy project – one of dozens of guests who were flown to Hudson’s Hope near the proposed dam site to applaud Mr. Campbell’s construction pledge.

Even before then, Mr. Weaver, as a member of Mr. Campbell’s climate action advisory team, advocated for the dam. In a 2009 interview with The Globe and Mail, he urged Mr. Campbell’s government to dust off the project, which had been shelved in the 1980s.

“I cannot see what is stopping Site C,” Mr. Weaver said eight years ago. At the time, Mr. Campbell was launching an ambitious climate-action agenda and Mr. Weaver concluded it was time for BC Hydro to get back in the business of mega-projects to produce more emissions-free energy. “They should be carving out their niche with the Site C dam,” he said.

https://www.theglobe...rticle35386000/

• jonny, John M. and Kungsberg like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#1768 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 07:43 AM

lol wow that is hilarious! Good find.

#1769 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,017 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 09:06 AM

In other words he is like any other politician.

• sebberry likes this

#1770 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 21 June 2017 - 10:43 AM

Election within a year and likely sooner. Too thin a margin for either side to get anything done.
  • Midnightly likes this

#1771 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:08 AM

Live broadcast from the Leg:

https://www.leg.bc.c...ts-and-webcasts

#1772 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:21 AM

A speaker has been elected.   Steve Thompson, Liberal.

https://www.leg.bc.c...t/Thomson-Steve

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 22 June 2017 - 09:25 AM.

#1773 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:22 AM

And will we see the amusing prospect of the Liberals filibustering their own Throne Speech over the next days and weeks to avoid bringing it to vote?

My understanding is that there can be up to six days of debate on the Throne Speech and the days need not be consecutive. It'll be a long six days if all the NDP and Greens do is have their leaders speak briefly to how it is all a sham and then sit back down.

#1774 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,369 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:16 AM

^ I doubt the Liberals will drag it out too long. I think in a week or two we'll be finding out who the next speaker will be, and that's where things get interesting.

• rjag and jonny like this

#1775 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,157 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 10:23 AM

A speaker has been elected.   Steve Thompson, Liberal.

https://www.leg.bc.c...t/Thomson-Steve

Wow, the Libs are taking the high road on that one. 

#1776 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 12:21 PM

Wow, the Libs are taking the high road on that one. 

How so? Once the Liberals get defeated early next week, Thompson will step down as Speaker.

• 57WestHills likes this

#1777 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 01:57 PM

So is this Throne Speech strategy effing brilliant or a total disaster?

We are definitely in political bizzaro land. CC is bluffing Weaver big time.

• Matt R. likes this

#1778 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,517 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:14 PM

I think the approach here might be to hint at the significant increase in taxes British Columbians will face should the NDP/Green platform proceed. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#1779 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:19 PM

So is this Throne Speech strategy effing brilliant or a total disaster?

We are definitely in political bizzaro land. CC is bluffing Weaver big time.

Ya, it's something, for sure.

#1780 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 22 June 2017 - 03:30 PM

My overall take away.

CC is happy to adopt (or pretend to adopt) most of the policies she campaigned against just as long as she gets to stay Premier.

While CC is calling it "having heard the voters" some might call it naked opportunism.

• 57WestHills likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users