Victoria Busker Festival

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 16 December 2016 - 02:56 PM

its hard to organize when the main locations and supporters are going to block you.

Ya, he's going to try though.  Yes, it's not just a case of some funding killed, DVBA and TV intentionally are trying to block him out of the busker game.

• sdwright.vic likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 SusanJones

SusanJones
  • 249 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 05:50 AM

Read entire article here: - See more at: http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/finances-competition-cited-as-plug-pulled-on-victoria-buskers-fest-1.5216909#sthash.RQMphLIO.dpuf

Tourism Victoria has partnered on the project with Hotel Association of Greater Victoria (which supported Vickers’ festival in the past) and the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority.

Tourism Victoria CEO Paul Nursey said there is a “deep and irreparable schism” between Vickers and Tourism Victoria and the other sponsors of the new buskers festival.

Attached Images

• buskersouta.jpg

Edited by SusanJones, 22 December 2016 - 05:51 AM.

#83 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 06:53 AM

What competition, exactly?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#84 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 22 December 2016 - 11:10 AM

Whether he likes it or not, Vickers is on the sidelines at this point. I don't see the value in continuing to try and draw attention to this as I think it just hurts his brand.

Either the new festival works out or it doesn't. If the money is spent and it is a bust then the cannibalistic nature of the local tourism promotion industry will deal with itself and there may be an opportunity for Vickers again with new leadership in place. If the festival is a giant success then Vickers overplayed his hand and lesson learned.

#85 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 04:38 PM

Now the Chalk Festival and Kite Festival have been cancelled too. I sure hope the DVBA had both a reason and a plan when they decided to do battle with Vickers...

http://www.vicnews.c.../409835355.html

#86 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 05:05 PM

I'm sure Lisa Helps has fantastic ideas to replace these events, and I look forward to enjoying them!

#87 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 05 January 2017 - 08:38 PM

Sounds a lot like sour grapes. He may be digging himself a hole that he can never climb out of.

• nagel likes this

#88 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:02 PM

I'm sure Lisa Helps has fantastic ideas to replace these events, and I look forward to enjoying them!

Crack dance festival ?

#89 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:08 PM

Sounds a lot like sour grapes. He may be digging himself a hole that he can never climb out of.

Maybe, but I think its pretty obvious that they are stealing the success that he created. 

#90 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:42 PM

Car free summer

Naked bike festival

No laws for cyclists festival

30kph all day festival

Emoji sign festival

Speed bike theft festival

First Nations poetry slam festival (sponsored by Bannock)

Pam Madoff's red brick Jenga competition

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 02:50 PM

Car free summer

Naked bike festival

No laws for cyclists festival

30kph all day festival

Emoji sign festival

Speed bike theft festival

First Nations poetry slam festival (sponsored by Bannock)

Pam Madoff's red brick Jenga competition

Don't forget my "let's try heroin!" days.  One for each safe consumption site each year.  An opportunity to learn why this drug is so awesome, in a safe environment.

• nagel likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#92 Jill

Jill
  • 1,039 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:23 PM

Will there be sacred fires?

• SimonH likes this

#93 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

Vickers has requested to speak before Council Thursday night. Might be worth catching the live stream.
  • VicHockeyFan and Jill like this

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:24 AM

Vickers is leaving town.

http://www.timescolo...well-1.21881704

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 15 August 2017 - 06:25 AM.

#95 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 06:59 AM

yup, major loss for our region. He did as much if not more for this region than Tourism Victoria or the Hotel association and didnt collect a penny. I dont blame him for walking away.....

#96 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 07:04 AM

I'm not so sure he did not collect a penny, I think he paid himself a salary.

Now, the guy that brings in Deuce Days, that guys earns nothing.

#97 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:34 AM

Vickers is leaving town.

http://www.timescolo...well-1.21881704

I won't miss the fake carved pumpkins.

#98 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

I'm not so sure he did not collect a penny, I think he paid himself a salary.

Now, the guy that brings in Deuce Days, that guys earns nothing.

I've seen the books, he took a few expenses when there were excess funds after all the bills were paid but put in more than he took out....we're talking less than a few hundred.

Pumpkin art went to charity after storage fees and purchase of new molds. He did the carving on his own time. Buskers was the big one and he took some expenses but also covered shortfalls out of his pocket....

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#99 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:50 AM

I ran into him a few months back. At the time he was seriously considering, or at least openly musing, about running for mayor. He said then that if he doesn't leave Victoria he just might take a shot at it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#100 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 15 August 2017 - 08:57 AM

I ran into him a few months back. At the time he was seriously considering, or at least openly musing, about running for mayor. He said then that if he doesn't leave Victoria he just might take a shot at it.

Yup, I had a few conversations with him and some of his 'confidants' running for council would have been a better option than Mayor. he would most likely have been elected as well

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users