Photo

2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#601 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 07:49 AM

Perhaps you should understand that a Victoria City councilor makes $39,886.08/year plus $9,000 for serving as a director at the CRD (2015 numbers).  When you pay people subpar wages for a difficult job you get subpar candidates.  You understand a labourer at the City makes more money?  This is far from a cushy job, its a thankless job

Also, at last check there isn't even a pension for serving on City Council

I understand what the pay is. You don't think these people enjoy being in charge? I imagine there is a big sense of pride in the public service aspect, but any politician is an ego driven person to a certain degree. They enjoy being shot callers, make no mistake.

How many council meetings does that $40k/year gig require you attend? 24 or so, I believe, which works out to about $1,600 per meeting. We're not talking about a full time job, here.

• sdwright.vic likes this

#602 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 08:11 AM

I understand what the pay is. You don't think these people enjoy being in charge? I imagine there is a big sense of pride in the public service aspect, but any politician is an ego driven person to a certain degree. They enjoy being shot callers, make no mistake.

How many council meetings does that $40k/year gig require you attend? 24 or so, I believe, which works out to about $1,600 per meeting. We're not talking about a full time job, here.

Just to give you some perspective, any new grad coming out of university or college with a decent grasp on life issues and a meaningful career is starting at salaries far higher than what a local politician makes and likely has more job flexibility and work balance. 

#603 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 09:14 AM

do you really think that is all the job is?  with all due respect, that is pretty ignorant

• Rob Randall likes this

#604 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:10 AM

Just to give you some perspective, any new grad coming out of university or college with a decent grasp on life issues and a meaningful career is starting at salaries far higher than what a local politician makes and likely has more job flexibility and work balance. 

Oh wow. As a professional in my early 30's with a superb grasp on life issues and a meaningful (I think?) career, I had no idea.

So you guys are saying the role of CoV Councillor is intended to be full-time employment? It's a wonder our existing Councillors seem to manage other jobs. These really must be incredible people!

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#605 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

Oh wow. As a professional in my early 30's with a superb grasp on life issues and a meaningful (I think?) career, I had no idea.

So you guys are saying the role of CoV Councillor is intended to be full-time employment? It's a wonder our existing Councillors seem to manage other jobs. These really must be incredible people!

It is not intended to but it becomes one with all of the demands that people put on you. 

• Rob Randall, jonny and nerka like this

#606 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:58 AM

http://www.timescolo...pool-1.20727843

I think this is just further evidence that Helps in announcing her 'retirement' in January. She doesn't want a failed referendum so she is just punting the decision down the road.

#607 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 27 September 2017 - 05:40 PM

Midnightly, on 27 Sept 2017 - 6:14 PM, said:

...i will vote for anyone willing to crack down on crime and clean up this city! and i really hope there is someone who comes out with that [as] a key part of their platform...

Dollars to donuts, I'd be willing to bet that all CoV incumbents who seek re-election in 2018 will get in again. Unless some viable MoR candidates make their names and platforms known very soon, the familiarity of the current council's names will be sufficient to get them all comfortably ensconced in City Hall for another 4 years.  :whyme:

#608 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:35 AM

Dollars to donuts, I'd be willing to bet that all CoV incumbents who seek re-election in 2018 will get in again. Unless some viable MoR candidates make their names and platforms known very soon, the familiarity of the current council's names will be sufficient to get them all comfortably ensconced in City Hall for another 4 years.  :whyme:

And that's something I don't want to see happen - especially where Lisa Doesn't Help and her stooges Comrade Isitt and Comrade Loveday are concerned.

• Nparker likes this

#609 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:19 AM

^ The moderators of Vibrant Victoria have been asked to review posts that reflect disparaging comments towards public figures and groups. We have decided that personal comments that are of the nature of name calling do not add substance to the conversation, and we ask you all in the future to refrain from posting them on the forum.

It is understandable that people will not agree with all of the positions or actions that are taken by our elected officials. We are not saying that you should refrain from stating facts, what we are saying is that posting derogatory personal comments about anyone on this forum does not add value to the discussion, and will detract from our credibility as a public forum. 

• Mike K., Coreyburger, tedward and 3 others like this

#610 Awaiting Juno

Awaiting Juno
  • 1,512 posts
  • LocationVictoria, BC

Posted 28 September 2017 - 09:57 AM

Given the election is a year out, now would be the time for a slate of alternatives to congeal.  I'd love to see some candidates who have a clear understanding of the need to make Victoria a good place, not just for those who wish to avail themselves of the plethora of services for the down and out, but also a good place for those who are trying to raise their kids here and who are economically contributing and paying for the services we all enjoy.  Compassionate Conservatives - who won't just throw money at problems but will at least demand that the money being thrown, actually addresses the problem in a way that doesn't just lead to even more money being thrown at the problem.  Ideally some folks who know how to balance a budget without gutting the heart and spine of the local economy.

• Mike K., Nparker, sebberry and 3 others like this

#611 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:06 AM

Two questions:

Who exactly asked the V.V. moderators to ensure that public figures not be maligned in V.V. forum posts? (it's a very odd request in broad terms to say the least, and especially so if it came from a public official).

Second, has anybody researched what the Mayor and Councillors themselves think about their chances in the upcoming election? ... because I think you'll find that they themselves are nowhere near the level of confidence that they would anticipate "getting back in" once again.

There's a change in the wind these days, especially at the municipal level ... and city councils across the CRD are definitely feeling that breeze.

• Nparker, Nostalgic Victoria and John M. like this

#612 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:08 AM

I guess it's just more to do with maintaining a higher calibre of discussion on the forum. We can get our points across without having to resort to name calling. In the long run it makes a difference to take the high road.

• Rob Randall, Bingo, jonny and 2 others like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#613 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:14 AM

I guess it's just more to do with maintaining a higher calibre of discussion on the forum. We can get our points across without having to resort to name calling...

I'll have to keep that in mind the next time barbs are thrown at "overpaid, underworked, lazy public servants" in this forum.

• Mike K., tedward, sdwright.vic and 4 others like this

#614 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:19 AM

^ Yes please.
  • Mike K. and Matt R. like this

#615 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 10:20 AM

...I'd love to see some candidates...Compassionate Conservatives - who won't just throw money at problems but will at least demand that the money being thrown, actually addresses the problem...

Some might see that term as an oxymoron, but I suppose no more so than level-headed liberals.  ;)

ps: I hope this comment offered enough balance that the moderators will not feel a need to edit it out of existence...either that or it offended everyone and it will never see the light of day  :( 

• Mike K., pennymurphy2000 and Awaiting Juno like this

#616 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 11:58 AM

^ The moderators of Vibrant Victoria have been asked to review posts that reflect disparaging comments towards public figures and groups. We have decided that personal comments that are of the nature of name calling do not add substance to the conversation, and we ask you all in the future to refrain from posting them on the forum.

It is understandable that people will not agree with all of the positions or actions that are taken by our elected officials. We are not saying that you should refrain from stating facts, what we are saying is that posting derogatory personal comments about anyone on this forum does not add value to the discussion, and will detract from our credibility as a public forum. 

Let me guess - did certain public figures (who shall not be named) find out and get all offended, even though what I said about them is the truth?  If so, all they did was prove themselves to be a bunch of thin-skinned snowflakes who can't take criticism and who want to use their positions as public figures to impose censorship on this site.  That still doesn't change the fact that all three of they who shall not be named, while using their positions to conduct their SJW experiments, have done nothing but very poor jobs since they were elected to their posts and are doing so by design, which has contributed to the downhill slide Victoria has been experiencing (including the "tent city") since they came to power.  That is a fact they cannot deny or try to silence through the imposition of PC censorship.

• jonny likes this

#617 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:09 PM

Two questions:

Who exactly asked the V.V. moderators to ensure that public figures not be maligned in V.V. forum posts? (it's a very odd request in broad terms to say the least, and especially so if it came from a public official).

Second, has anybody researched what the Mayor and Councillors themselves think about their chances in the upcoming election? ... because I think you'll find that they themselves are nowhere near the level of confidence that they would anticipate "getting back in" once again.

There's a change in the wind these days, especially at the municipal level ... and city councils across the CRD are definitely feeling that breeze.

My thoughts exactly - I'm also thinking that someone at City Hall (particularly one of the ones mentioned) found out and made that demand to the mods here to impose censorship on the site, which says plenty about said public official(s).  That also tells me that they know their popularity levels are nearing rock-bottom levels and they're not liking their odds of retaining their offices because of public opinion being heavily against them due to their bad decisions and - need I even say it - likely corruption (a hallmark of leftist public officials).

• jonny likes this

#618 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:20 PM

FYI the request was made by a vibrantvictoria member.

#619 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 12:22 PM

FYI the request was made by a vibrant victoria member.

Which doesn't preclude that person from also being a public figure.

• Nostalgic Victoria and Daveyboy like this

#620 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 02:00 PM

You can tear their platforms and decisions to shreds but personal name-calling is boring, childish garbage I don't care to have to wade through. I support the mods on this. 

Given the election is a year out, now would be the time for a slate of alternatives to congeal.  I'd love to see some candidates who have a clear understanding of the need to make Victoria a good place, not just for those who wish to avail themselves of the plethora of services for the down and out, but also a good place for those who are trying to raise their kids here and who are economically contributing and paying for the services we all enjoy.  Compassionate Conservatives - who won't just throw money at problems but will at least demand that the money being thrown, actually addresses the problem in a way that doesn't just lead to even more money being thrown at the problem.  Ideally some folks who know how to balance a budget without gutting the heart and spine of the local economy.

Looking at runners up from last election I don't see anyone that fits the bill. And no-one else on the radar that I've noticed. In general, this is not a good year for conservative values.

• VicHockeyFan, Sparky, jonny and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users