2018 City of Victoria election

• Please log in to reply
5915 replies to this topic

#621 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:06 PM

If there is a concerted effort to form a compassionate conservative alternative, they should already be forming a slate. I'm against party politics at the municipal level, but a slate of reasonable candidates might work.

• Nparker likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#622 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:09 PM

If there is a concerted effort to form a compassionate conservative alternative, they should already be forming a slate. I'm against party politics at the municipal level, but a slate of reasonable candidates might work.

Surrey First worked.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#623 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:45 PM

FYI the request was made by a vibrantvictoria member.

I, as a VibrantVictoria member would like to make a request that, as a VV member, I'd like to be free to comment on politicians who fatten up their bank accounts courtesy of working taxpayers, that I be free to comment on those folks however I see fit to comment without using foul, or libellous language.

But to be told that I can't reference the (in some cases) endless stupidity of some of the people and decisions made by municipal, provincial,  and federal bodies is somewhat counter to the intent of an internet forum.

Stupid people making stupid decisions requires that the stupidity be identified, and the intelligence of the person making the stupid decision be questioned ... and when it's my money the stupid people are spending (tons of) to make those stupid decisions, I'd like to be free to call these politicos who have freely thrown their hats in the public ring of comment whatever I feel inclined to call them, sans the above foul or libellous language.

But to reference politicians as ridiculous boobs when they are indeed behaving like ridiculous boobs should certainly be something the forum would support?

The majority of these political folks are not worthy of being beholding to, so to cow-tow to them in any way seems terribly misplaced.

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 3 others like this

#624 Nostalgic Victoria

Nostalgic Victoria
  • 162 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:55 PM

You can tear their platforms and decisions to shreds but personal name-calling is boring, childish garbage I don't care to have to wade through. I support the mods on this. 

Looking at runners up from last election I don't see anyone that fits the bill. And no-one else on the radar that I've noticed. In general, this is not a good year for conservative values.

So she can call the people of Victoria "settlers" all she likes (per a post elsewhere on this site, and according to her leftist SJW worldview), but we can't use a wordplay on her last name (reflective of how little she's done for - and how much damage she's done to - the city as mayor) lest it get back to her and she has a meltdown over it?  That just shows how deep the double standards of the Left run.

• jonny and sdwright.vic like this

#625 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 04:56 PM

^^Here, here!

Edited by sdwright.vic, 28 September 2017 - 04:56 PM.

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#626 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:05 PM

^^...and here, here!!

#627 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:17 PM

I, as a VibrantVictoria member would like to make a request that, as a VV member, I'd like to be free to comment on politicians who fatten up their bank accounts courtesy of working taxpayers, that I be free to comment on those folks however I see fit to comment without using foul, or libellous language.

But to be told that I can't reference the (in some cases) endless stupidity of some of the people and decisions made by municipal, provincial,  and federal bodies is somewhat counter to the intent of an internet forum.

Stupid people making stupid decisions requires that the stupidity be identified, and the intelligence of the person making the stupid decision be questioned ... and when it's my money the stupid people are spending (tons of) to make those stupid decisions, I'd like to be free to call these politicos who have freely thrown their hats in the public ring of comment whatever I feel inclined to call them, sans the above foul or libellous language.

But to reference politicians as ridiculous boobs when they are indeed behaving like ridiculous boobs should certainly be something the forum would support?

The majority of these political folks are not worthy of being beholding to, so to cow-tow to them in any way seems terribly misplaced.

Call them out all you want.  Call their ideas stupid.  But do not call them Ms. Piggy like a guy did the other day.

Here, follow my lead:

I think a whole lot of what Mayor Helps advocates is stupid.

I have next to no time for Isitt and Loveday's policies.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#628 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:25 PM

PC police run out of doughnuts?

#629 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 05:30 PM

Okay....

I think a whole lot of what Mayor Helps advocates is stupid.

I have next to no time for Isitt and Loveday's policies
  • VicHockeyFan, Nparker, Greg and 1 other like this

#630 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:05 PM

I support this as well. Leave the name calling out of it. Same goes for versus attacks directly on this forum, please, VHF. Save for for 4chan.

We can ***** and moan about our 'leaders' without calling anyone dumb names, but rather call their actions dumb.

• Coreyburger, Daveyboy and nerka like this

#631 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:14 PM

FYI the request was made by a vibrantvictoria member.

I know, I know, it was VHF, he knew he would never get another interview if we didn't lighten up.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#632 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 28 September 2017 - 07:15 PM

Given the election is a year out, now would be the time for a slate of alternatives to congeal.  I'd love to see some candidates who have a clear understanding of the need to make Victoria a good place, not just for those who wish to avail themselves of the plethora of services for the down and out, but also a good place for those who are trying to raise their kids here and who are economically contributing and paying for the services we all enjoy.  Compassionate Conservatives - who won't just throw money at problems but will at least demand that the money being thrown, actually addresses the problem in a way that doesn't just lead to even more money being thrown at the problem.  Ideally some folks who know how to balance a budget without gutting the heart and spine of the local economy.

We are waiting for you to congeal AJ.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#633 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 29 September 2017 - 05:18 AM

Folks, let’s just ease up on the name calling. It’s not necessary to convey a point.
  • Awaiting Juno likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#634 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,149 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:38 AM

If you can get past the bright pink background, you can let this group know how you feel about ......

http://newcouncil.ca/

#635 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,352 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 05:56 AM

If you can get past the bright pink background, you can let this group know how you feel about ......

Good! I hope we can get some new people to run next year.

#636 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:13 AM

Good! I hope we can get some new people to run next year.

Well the "business community" attempts the same thing every election. They try and find a few patsies to form a slate which then fails because anyone with a brain doesn't want to spend the next 4 years bent over working for $90K.

#637 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,765 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

... anyone with a brain doesn't want to spend the next 4 years bent over working for $90K.

Who, other than the mayor, gets paid $90,000 to sit on the CoV council?

Edited by Nparker, 26 October 2017 - 07:47 AM.

#638 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:20 AM

Who, other than the mayor, gets paid $90,000 to sit on the CoV council?

I was referring to the Mayor. Council members make far less of course.

#639 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

In 2016, Victoria councillors also earned this from the CRD:

Alto:  $10,062

Coleman:  $900

Helps:  $19,546

Isitt:  $22,466

Loveday:  $1,700

Madoff:  $100

T-Joe:  $200

Young: $22,421

#640 TallGuy

TallGuy
  • 108 posts

Posted 26 October 2017 - 08:36 AM

The irony is that taxpayers would save money in the long term if the wages of our councillors and mayor were competitive enough to attract technically competent (STEM/business/financial backgrounds) and experientially qualified people. As I mentioned earlier, the JSB should have been cancelled years ago. Those ~$55 million of savings alone would have covered those wages.

In reality though, that project would never have been greenlit and us taxpayers would be grumbling about why our council gets paid so much and nothing gets done around Victoria.

• Mike K. and tedward like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users