Frankie's Modern Diner | 910 Government Street

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#21 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:41 AM

Haha.. no, that's why the server brings the iPad to the table and leaves with it!  You know, like use it as a visual he/she holds when talking about the specials.  Or let's go high tech and have futuristic glass tables which double as an interactive video screen.. at least part of the table. 

Edited by zoomer, 08 June 2016 - 10:42 AM.

• VicHockeyFan and tedward like this

#22 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 10:55 AM

Haha.. no, that's why the server brings the iPad to the table and leaves with it!  You know, like use it as a visual he/she holds when talking about the specials.  Or let's go high tech and have futuristic glass tables which double as an interactive video screen.. at least part of the table. 

I like this concept!  The TV screens should descend from the ceiling though.  3-sided display.  After you place your order, the wait-person signals it to go back up.  The rigging hardware has been proven reliable and has been readily available since the late 60's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsNR9FnxOdY

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#23 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:10 AM

Finally isn't it about time that restaurants move to a new menu format?  Whether that's a menu with with foodie/Instagram style photos, a discreet tv screen displaying menu items in loving detail, or the server can bring by an iPad with pictures or short 5 second video clips of the daily specials, and put this up on their social media sites? 

Yeah, I really wonder why small businesses don't have multi-million dollar media, IT and creative departments.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#24 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:23 AM

Hopefully these interactive devices will be well sanitized between parties at each table. I don't particularly want to have to touch a food-encrusted and toddler-handled touch screen.

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:37 AM

Hopefully these interactive devices will be well sanitized between parties at each table. I don't particularly want to have to touch a food-encrusted and toddler-handled touch screen.

You think your old-skool menu gets washed down between patrons?

• Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:39 AM

You think your old-skool menu gets washed down between patrons?

Most menus don't sit on the tables throughout the meal and I have in fact seen the plastic-covered variety wiped-down.

#27 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:41 AM

Wow, tough crowd!  ;) 

There is no touching the server's iPad (ahem!) As for the interactive table, simple wipe down after each guest as restaurants currently do. 

The budget required could be minimal if they just learned some basic photography skills and spent a little more on the menus. They can have a nice flush tv in the entrance area where the menu is displayed, that at most might be $400 for a decent tv.  If other people can take and post great pictures of their food how hard can it be.. tap into the social media marketing as many currently are.  Nowadays unless you've proven yourself putting out a sh*tty menu like Frankie's is pathetic. 

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 11:51 AM

Most menus don't sit on the tables throughout the meal and I have in fact seen the plastic-covered variety wiped-down.

My menu retracts up towards the ceiling, remember?

You are thinking more like the portable cone of silence.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gcKHBgZ_QKU

• zoomer and Nparker like this

#29 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:02 PM

Chau Veggie Express menu:

Stick with a traditional menu, fine, but sell the food!  Make it appealing, make the customer salivate over every dish.

menu.jpg

Actually another fun idea, but more for the high end restaurant.. who wants to launch this business?  Restaurant cards.. could be a small pack like hockey cards with a 25% off coupon inside, or an elite collection of playing cards, each picturing a meal, dessert of thirst quenching beverage, heck even the chef.  I'd easily pay $20 for a pack for a pack from The Bengal Lounge (...), or Little Jumbo, etc, etc.  Foodie will eat that sh*t up.  Ok, not a big money maker, but a good marketing tool for restaurants. 

Edited by zoomer, 08 June 2016 - 12:03 PM.

• Mike K. and Nparker like this

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,750 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:07 PM

...You are thinking more like the portable cone of silence.

Those should be mandatory for all restaurant patrons under the age of 12.

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 12:50 PM

. who wants to launch this business?  Restaurant cards.. could be a small pack like hockey cards with a 25% off coupon inside, or an elite collection of playing cards, each picturing a meal, dessert of thirst quenching beverage, heck even the chef.  I'd easily pay $20 for a pack for a pack from The Bengal Lounge (...), or Little Jumbo, etc, etc.  Foodie will eat that sh*t up.  Ok, not a big money maker, but a good marketing tool for restaurants. 

I'm looking for investors for my business...

The problem is the dead times.

That's why I have a restaurant concept called "On the Clock" where prices are adjusted every hour. It's a complex algorithm that decides the menu price for each item, changing up or down each hour depending on demand for that item, and general sales volume history for that hour. A big computer screen shows the current prices, but better get your order in before the top of the hour. The price is changing! "You're on the clock!"

#32 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 June 2016 - 03:18 PM

Oh man this place looks amazing. Why can't we have some amazing vegetarian restaurant like that over here?! All of our Vietnamese restaurants are dodgy downtown meaty pho places.

#33 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts

Posted 08 June 2016 - 08:57 PM

I see they have a location on Granville Island, I'll check it out later this month when I'm over there.  See - the power of a visual menu, with great dish names.  Who doesn't want to order a Midnight Swim Bowl?  Kind of reminds me of Pag's menu.. The Dish with No Name, etc.

#34 victoriassecret

victoriassecret
  • 130 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:44 PM

How long will it last?

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:51 PM

How long will it last?

Well, his first Victoria restaurant lasted 16 years until the building was demolished, and his second one has been going 11 years now.

• Matt R. likes this

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 05 July 2016 - 06:52 PM

I popped in for a bite.

Solid. I'll be back.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,604 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 06:06 PM

Anyone else give FMD a try? Now that I'm working at this office/location I will drop in one day soon for lunch. Any suggestions off their menu that anyone has actually tried and would recommend?

#38 Szeven

Szeven
  • 1,199 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:15 PM

I've had breakfast there probably a dozen times now. It's not big portions but it's good quality, tastes good, and inexpensive. I actually have never tried any lunch food.

#39 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:19 PM

Been many times for breakfast and tried all on menu.  The only thing that I was not keen on was the wraps.  All else good value.  

• AllseeingEye likes this

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 08:30 PM

Yup, the place is pretty solid.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users