• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#481 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 July 2014 - 05:41 PM

The white ones?  Yikes, that's a lot of tile to rip up and fix.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#482 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 July 2014 - 06:16 PM

The white ones?  Yikes, that's a lot of tile to rip up and fix.

Yes and with Christmas only 5 months off, hope they git'er done soon.

#483 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 29 July 2014 - 08:44 PM

Yah, those things are chipping and cracking all over the place, you can easily spot a couple dozen on a quick walk through with marker pen x's on them.  I guess they gave up replacing them at some point. 

#484 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:11 PM

New 8,400 square foot liquor store is being stocked and is set to open this weekend.

IMG_5908.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#485 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 05:25 PM

Is there not enough private liquor stores in the area? I cannot remember the last time I was in a Gov't liquor store..8500 Square ft that rent is going to be face melting. I guess that means Thrifty foods cannot carry liquor if they decided to .

#486 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 06:37 PM

They couldn't anyways as there is a liquor store at Shellbourne and North Dairy already.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#487 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 20 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Ya, I wonder what is going to mean to traffic that goes into Hillside Liquor. 

Question - Can private liquor stores carry certain brands or limit edition brews that Gov't cant?

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#488 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

Ya, I wonder what is going to mean to traffic that goes into Hillside Liquor. 

Question - Can private liquor stores carry certain brands or limit edition brews that Gov't cant?

I think it is probably more a case of seeing what the BC Liquor Store carries, and then differentiating yourself. They could stock more micro-brews, seasonal etc and find some different value wines that the BCL wouldn't bother with.

#489 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

Will this be another near useless BCL where you can't buy a cold beer and the only beers they sell are of the multinational variety?

#490 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:41 AM

It's hard for me to understand what the plan is here, for the government stores.

Do they have a strategic plan - that we can see - telling us how and when they like to expand, open new or renovate existing stores?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#491 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:42 AM

Will this be another near useless BCL where you can't buy a cold beer and the only beers they sell are of the multinational variety?

As much as a few might not like it, that is what sells in liquor stores.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#492 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:30 AM

As much as a few might not like it, that is what sells in liquor stores.

This isn't entirely true. I have a friend who works in a liquor store and he said they will sell out the day of a specific micro-brew. Purchasers literally memorize the day the shipment comes in and come grab it before it sells out - Phillip's Crooked Tooth to name an example. 

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#493 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

This isn't entirely true. I have a friend who works in a liquor store and he said they will sell out the day of a specific micro-brew. Purchasers literally memorize the day the shipment comes in and come grab it before it sells out - Phillip's Crooked Tooth to name an example. 

I doubt they sell near as much micro-brew as they sell the big mainstay beers like Budweiser, Canadian, Coors, and to a lesser extant, Kokanee and the european major brands Heineken, Stella...

#494 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

Although in volume multinationals still put through more volume their share of the market has been dropping with the uptick in locally and independently brewed beer. I would assume in places like Victoria this is much more pronounced than elsewhere.

Edited by thundergun, 21 October 2014 - 09:49 AM.

#495 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,559 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

If you go into any liquor store they'll have heaps of Bud, Blue, Kokanee, Pabst, Lucky, Canadian, etc, available in six, 12, 15, 24 and 48 packs. The micro brews are stored in single rows along the wall. Collectively, as in all micro brews, they might sell as many as they will Buds in a given week but beer-by-beer or by brand it's a tiny amount.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#496 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

This is a new Signature store format and rumored from my source to have refrigeration.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#497 LocalMom

LocalMom
  • 470 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 October 2014 - 04:30 PM

It supposedly opened yesterday and keeps the same hours (or longer) than the mall - so YAY for a Sunday BC Liquor Store other than Oak Bay and Langford!

• Nparker likes this

#498 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

I don't understand why there are private liquor stores, government liquor store and now grocery liquor. I assumed with the new legislation, it was a further attempt to kill the Gov liquor store union; but then come these new Signature stores. Either I am missing something or this province is ass backwards.

Edited by gumgum, 21 October 2014 - 06:49 PM.

#499 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,607 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 07:04 PM

I doubt they sell near as much micro-brew as they sell the big mainstay beers like Budweiser, Canadian, Coors, and to a lesser extant, Kokanee and the european major brands Heineken, Stella...

I tend to agree with this and the follow on post by Thundergun; I just returned from the 14th Annual Boys "Leave Yer Wives, Kids and Dogs at Home" Whistler sojourn, this year consisting of  7 well educated gentlemen averaging 52 years young. Of the seven aforementioned bodies four were, for lack of a better term. "beer drinkers" (I'm a vodka guy). Of the four the suds of choice were, respectively, Lucky Lager (there is admittedly just no accounting for some people's taste); Coors Lite (even worse); Budweiser (ugh) and the ever present Kokanee. Not a micro brew in sight and, interestingly, not one of them is a resident in or of Victoria either. These guys are all white collar professional types, averaging 6-figure salaries. They are all well educated academically, and yet to a man drink what micro-brew aficionados would certainly consider inferior "multinational" beer. Labatt's in fact was sponsoring an event in the Village and in spite of wet damp and rainy weather was doing very well 'thank you very much' in terms of flogging their product. Micro-brews may be popular in Oak Bay or Fairfield but then again neither is exactly representative of "the world" either.

#500 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 October 2014 - 08:35 PM

^they just need to be educated I think most people would come around

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users