[Oaklands] Hillside Mall expansion | Built - completed in 2014

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#441 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:10 PM

The new style of this mall seems wrong to me. It's impersonal and cold. Anyone else think this?

#442 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,777 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:20 PM

I really like the new look. Hillside was looking VERY dated. Much more contemporary now. Let's just hope they can lease all the spaces.

#443 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:27 PM

I think it is a massive improvement.

#444 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:36 PM

Let's just hope they can lease all the spaces.

If filling the mall was a concern to them they wouldn't have evicted some of the previous tenants.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#445 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,614 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 01:40 PM

I think it is a massive improvement.

Agree with this assessment; last Sunday Mrs. ASE and I decided to check out Hillside (Target specifically) which I have to say was a huge improvement over Target's Tillicum location, although were I in a glib mood I could observe that it wouldn't take much to represent a considerable leg up on the Tillicum outlet. Yet I digress. Overall like Jonny I thought the updated mall was light years ahead of the old one, which IMO by comparison was darker, rather pedestrian and dated  in a 1970's sort of way and offered little in the way of amenities in stark contrast to the 2014 version. Two thumbs up.

#446 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 02:35 PM

I dislike the "short attention span" our society has in regards to design where a mall with a 1990s design is considered dated and needs updating.

The Bolen Books facade is a prime example. It was distinctive and well designed, actually used by the store as it's logo. But it's wasn't new enough so it was trashed and a replaced by a plain glass wall which just happens to be the style that is currently in vogue.

#447 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 25 March 2014 - 04:01 PM

The glass box around Bolen Books was a very poor design decision.  It doesn't update or modernize the building in any way. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#448 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:14 PM

The sign says all way stop, but I didn't see pedestrians stop before walking out diagonally in any direction. The crosswalks are not marked.

IMG_1221.jpg

#449 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 08:51 PM

^Yeah, it's a bit confusing there.

Marshall's is underwhelming. Basically a Winners clone. H&M would have been a far better fit for the mall. I don't know how Hillside let that one get away.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#450 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:21 PM

Thought this was interesting and I'll put it here as it specifically mentions Target and Sears. 

Big retailers finding Canada a challenging consumer market

For years, Canadians would cross the border to the United States to shop at Target. Exporting its cheap chic there seemed like a no-brainer.

But a year after opening more than 100 stores north of the border, Target has found business isn't so easy.

Shelves are hard to keep stocked. Shoppers complain the prices are higher than at U.S. stores. Sales have been weak, and the retailer lost nearly a billion dollars in Canada for the year.

[...]

http://www.therecord...onsumer-market/

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#451 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:45 AM

Once again a sh*tty mens department with Marshalls.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#452 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:28 AM

For me there is something to be said for having to cross the border for the deals.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#453 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:45 AM

For me there is something to be said for having to cross the border for the deals.

It really is odd.  It seems extremely inefficient to have a whole whack of individuals going across the border for deals.  When a smart retailer could bring the deals here in bulk.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#454 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 06:53 AM

Canadians would rather drown in taxes than support government initiatives that reign in the costs of doing business. Look at the opposition to Harper's initiatives in some circles, meanwhile those same people will be the first to complain that prices in Canada are higher than in the U.S.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#455 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 07:58 AM

^ I have not seen a lot of work on the part of the feds to reign in business costs and certainly nothing big that would ensure that those cost savings are passed onto consumers. The sports equipment import tax removal is a good example. 

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#456 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 08:51 AM

The Conservatives dropped the GST to 5% from 7%, decreased corporate taxes and thus allowed corporations to become more financial stable, increased the value of goods that can be brought in duty-free from the US and they are working to reduce the number of Canadians reliant on government for employment.

Meanwhile under their leadership the value of the Canadian dollar soared and this gave Canadian's higher buying power throughout the world and gave industry the opportunity to become more efficient and profitable through acquisition of foreign machinery, etc., and made exporters leaner and more efficient in order to maintain their positions in a global marketplace.

The ultimate goal is to make doing business in Canada easier and cheaper than it currently is. The feds admit that there remains a great deal more to be done to make Canadian businesses more competitive and to reduce prices for Canadian consumers.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#457 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 10:38 AM

The Conservatives dropped the GST to 5% from 7%, decreased corporate taxes and thus allowed corporations to become more financial stable, increased the value of goods that can be brought in duty-free from the US and they are working to reduce the number of Canadians reliant on government for employment.

Meanwhile under their leadership the value of the Canadian dollar soared and this gave Canadian's higher buying power throughout the world and gave industry the opportunity to become more efficient and profitable through acquisition of foreign machinery, etc., and made exporters leaner and more efficient in order to maintain their positions in a global marketplace.

The ultimate goal is to make doing business in Canada easier and cheaper than it currently is. The feds admit that there remains a great deal more to be done to make Canadian businesses more competitive and to reduce prices for Canadian consumers.

Hold the campaigning there, the election's not for another year at least.

#458 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

October 19, 2015.

I think Target needs to rethink their business in Canada, now that they've got a taste of it. They can make it here, but unless they can reposition themselves as true competitors to RCSS and Walmart in Canada, it isn't going to happen. I think too many people are going to the latter thinking they are better priced, whether that is 100% true or not.

#459 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 12:41 PM

Thank you for proving my point :)

Know it all.

#460 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

An afterthought?  Marshall's expansion? customer service? postal boxes  :confused:

IMG_1599.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users