[Oaklands] Hillside Mall expansion | Built - completed in 2014

Commercial

• Please log in to reply
708 replies to this topic

#421 LJ

LJ
  • 12,747 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:02 PM

Re the charging stations, do you pay for that or is it gratis?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#422 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 31 January 2014 - 07:21 PM

Re the charging stations, do you pay for that or is it gratis?

You pay for it with your manhood.  Unless you're driving a Tesla. 

The upper parking level was practically deserted during the Christmas rush. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#423 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:07 AM

Did they always have rooftop parking? When I noticed they were working on it in the summer I was wondering, as I had no idea it was there. I bet most people just don't even know its there. I didn't even know for sure it was rooftop parking until I saw these pictures.

#424 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

Yes, they've had parking up there for ages. 

It's still a little obscured, the entrances to the mall are through Atmosphere (upper level of Sport Chek) and the appliance section at Sears.

I don't think there's another mall entrance from the rooftop parking. 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#425 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,784 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:13 AM

Did they always have rooftop parking...

There has been rooftop parking at Hillside adjacent to Sears (with a 2nd floor entry) since a remodling/addition in the mid-late-1980s I believe. I assume it has been expanded significantly with this latest renovation.

• sebberry likes this

#426 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:25 AM

Did they always have rooftop parking? When I noticed they were working on it in the summer I was wondering, as I had no idea it was there. I bet most people just don't even know its there.

You can't miss the ramp at the south-east corner. 

#427 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 03 February 2014 - 02:28 PM

Ok what's with the traffic light exit across from MacDonald's & DQ? Going down Hillside the other night at 945pm not a soul in site and the frigging light goes red and its red for a long time. Coming home 20 minutes later and it does it again....one would think this would be an 'on-demand' light to exit from the Mall or Scott St....total time waster especially after mall hours.

#428 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,806 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

I believe that CoV traffic office is always willing to hear light timing suggestions especially for new lights. They may have just turned it on and not had a chance to review usage yet.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#429 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:16 PM

What about the left-turn light from Shelbourne to Lansdowne?  It's not been working properly since they repaved that section of Shelbourne.  I don't know who is responsible for it.

#430 phx

phx
  • 1,863 posts

Posted 03 February 2014 - 09:17 PM

Oh, and don't start with that amalgamation business.  :badpc:

• Nparker likes this

#431 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,510 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:41 AM

Here's a couple photos I found on Reddit of the new washrooms at Hillside Mall:

http://imgur.com/a/U839C

http://i.imgur.com/VC4f7d8.jpg

#432 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:09 AM

I poked my head into Hillside the other day and I think it's a job well done!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#433 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:17 AM

^Just wondering if they can fill it though.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#434 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 February 2014 - 04:27 PM

I find the parking and all way stop intersections a little annoying but I have to concur with Mike on the interior being well done.  I wonder if the new Subway in the food court will take away from the one on the corner of Scott and Hillside which is right across the street?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#435 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

But what's up with the sidewalk on the entrance off Hillside? It's just on one side of the access lane and people are already walking in a traffic lane to get to the mall from Hillside. Epic fail in that regard.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#436 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,015 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 06:46 PM

^Just wondering if they can fill it though.

Valid point. I was there the other day and counted 10 empty stores in the existing section of the mall not including McDonalds which appears to have left now as well.

#437 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 12:50 PM

An A, Eh!

IMG_0415.jpg

IMG_0416.jpg

Parking lot run-off treatment plant (s)

IMG_0418.jpg

#438 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 18 February 2014 - 02:18 PM

It's neat to see the same spherical hanging lamps in both Target and Marshall, it adds a nice touch of continuity to the mall when viewed from the outside. I wonder if that was intentional?

Edited by bluefox, 18 February 2014 - 02:18 PM.

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#439 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 March 2014 - 10:21 PM

I checked out the new Target today. They didn't do the Tillicum mistake with empty shelves--this one is stocked to the gills. So bright and clean it makes Zellers seem like a distant nightmare. The selection is extensive but nothing really stood out as something you couldn't get at any other big box store. The grocery is small; no produce or deli, mostly canned and frozen goods and staples. 

• bluefox likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#440 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 13 March 2014 - 09:48 AM

I checked out the new Target today. They didn't do the Tillicum mistake with empty shelves--this one is stocked to the gills. So bright and clean it makes Zellers seem like a distant nightmare. The selection is extensive but nothing really stood out as something you couldn't get at any other big box store. The grocery is small; no produce or deli, mostly canned and frozen goods and staples. 

The Tillicum store STILL has empty shelves. I went looking for plastic food storage containers in the last week....a staple item for a discount box store....there was almost nothing in the Tillicum Target except empty shelves where the product should have been. Walmart, London Drugs etc have whole sections of this type of product. Heck even Thrifty's has a couple of shelves of them!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)