[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#61 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 03:22 PM

There are a few lakes just beyond Port Renfrew, but they're not very big.

I actually like driving out to Cowichan Lake via Port Renfrew but it does add a bit of time to the trip.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#62 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 08:55 PM

Fairy Lake Campground is pretty awesome.

#63 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,608 posts

Posted 17 August 2010 - 09:28 PM

One of my absolute favorite places in the area: http://www.vancouver...ns/?townID=4137.

And trust me its TONS of fun trying to navigate in from the open ocean to Nitinat, especially at night or in a heavy fog. Nonetheless a spectacular place for all sorts of activities including windsurfing, camping and fishing.

#64 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 08:33 AM

^that's where I head up multiple times a year. Great area and it's accessible via Port Renfrew if you choose to go that way.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#65 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,608 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:24 AM

Yep, oddly enough until this past weekend when I drove with the girls up to P-R and Botanical Beach, I'd only ever been into Nitinat via the ocean, i.e. coming in off the open Pacific via that_very narrow channel. Love that area.

Apparently it is considered one of *the* places in the world for consistently great windsurfing. Based on the wicked tides and wind conditions you encounter coming in off the ocean, I have no doubt of that.

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 18 August 2010 - 10:41 AM

Yes, it is.

There are hoards of windsurfers out there. And in the Ditidaht native village there's even a convenience store/diner and a motel.

Know it all.

#67 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 29 April 2011 - 03:15 PM

If the E&N gets closed down because they can't afford to repair the railbed, then I wonder if we cloud convert the right of way into a one way alternating traffic road during times of Malahat closures?

I know it might be far fetched, but how about some ideas here for how to improve this "lifeline" piece of highway?

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:38 AM

There was an accident on the Malahat north of Finlayson Arm Road about 30 minutes ago. Highway expected to be closed for at least 2 hours.

Know it all.

#69 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:47 AM

I see nobody took anything away from the big safety crackdown... :rolleyes:

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#70 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:58 AM

Once the cats away the mice will play.

Know it all.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 11:11 AM

According to CFAX, a southbound Mazda lost control (excessive speed), hit the sidewall and spun into an oncoming pickup truck.

Know it all.

#72 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-15116064

Ministers to consult on 80mph motorway speed limit

The Department for Transport says as many as 49% of drivers flout the current 70mph limit.

It says advances in technology have made cars much safer, contributing to a drop of more than 75% in the number of people killed on British roads since the 70mph limit was introduced.

#73 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 September 2011 - 09:37 AM

I wonder how Texas is making out with their new 80Mph speed limits.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#74 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 18 October 2011 - 07:58 AM

Just came back from a few days in Sonoma/Napa and I was pleasantly surprised that the speed limits there are much more realistic than our arcane limits here.

School zones range from 20-25mph but also state "while children are on the road" in other words if its 2pm classes are in so the speed limit is 30mph.

Also main roads are 40 along roads like upper Shelbourne and Blanshard would be 45mph. Residential side streets are posted as 25 and main roads appear to be 40 which makes a lot of sense unlike here.

Driving along the country roads to various wineries the limit was 50-55mph, folks didnt seem to be bothered and they kept within those realistic limits.

The only speed trap I saw was a CHP laser and the posted limit was 60 and the only car they nailed was a Prius!!!

On the freeways the limit ranged from 50-70mph and I didnt see more than 2-3 cars exceed that as the traffic was flowing.

#75 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 December 2011 - 09:55 PM

Oh no!

Not another head-on collision that could have been prevented by a center barriers.

#76 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:31 PM

Does the road need to be widened for center barriers or can they go in right away?

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#77 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 28 December 2011 - 10:46 PM

Does the road need to be widened for center barriers or can they go in right away?

I wonder if a cable barrier system would work up there.

#78 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 07:09 AM

Or they could have built the new highway or funded the train or preferably both. To think that the province dawdles over improving the central transportation link for the island is inexcusable in my opinion.

Vancouver Island has a larger population than 3 provinces and yet I can't imagine that in in any of those provinces they would allow their population to continually kill each other on a stretch of highway which at the same time cuts off this vitally important transport hub for hours at a time. Really!

I would still be game for the bridge across Finlayson Arm too.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#79 Phil McAvity

Phil McAvity
  • 1,238 posts

Posted 29 December 2011 - 08:48 AM

^I agree, that bridge should have been built decades ago.

Oh no!

Not another head-on collision that could have been prevented by a center barriers.

The weird thing is, I heard it was between Bamberton and Mill Bay which isn't known for a lot of accidents, that's usually the safe part of the road.

Good question. I expect they would have to widen the road slightly given that the barriers are at least a couple of feet wide at the bottom. Regardless, i'm sure the government will drag their feet on this like they do everything else.
In chains by Keynes

#80 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,509 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 29 December 2011 - 09:48 AM

The weird thing is, I heard it was between Bamberton and Mill Bay which isn't known for a lot of accidents, that's usually the safe part of the road.

I think they reported last night that they believed it to be due to a medical condition.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users