Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#961 moretrain

moretrain
  • 47 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

Stand near a roundabout some time and watch how many folks correctly use their turn signals, it will be a single digit percentage I guarantee you.

And most would probably be surprised that you only signal the exit:

When you're leaving the roundabout, signal a right turn just before you exit. That lets drivers waiting to enter the roundabout and pedestrians waiting to cross know your intentions.  http://www.icbc.com/...roundabout.aspx

In terms of building an alternative to the Malahat, it is always a good idea to have a second route. Look at Ontario in January 2016; the bridge at Nipigon heaved due to ice and literally cut eastern Canada off from west. The current highway though does require some rethinking. The route through Goldstream park is fine, it just needs concrete medians and a underpass at the park entrance (stupid place for a park entrance, i mean blind corner at the bottom of a hill with no light). It is possible to create additional lanes through the park, it would just require a bit of political finesse. Creating a Goldstream park bypass would do more harm to the park than good. I think that as soon as the Shawnigan to Aspen is complete the government should be looking to do from Aspen to Westshore Pkwy.

What would an alternate highways routing be that makes it practical and affordable?

#962 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:41 AM

And most would probably be surprised that you only signal the exit:

When you're leaving the roundabout, signal a right turn just before you exit. That lets drivers waiting to enter the roundabout and pedestrians waiting to cross know your intentions.  http://www.icbc.com/...roundabout.aspx

What would an alternate highways routing be that makes it practical and affordable?

You have to tie it to land sales.  

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#963 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:14 PM

This is probably not the best forum for this but it does involve the TCH.

Question

When you are on Millstream road going over the TCH overpass there are two lanes going each way. In the northbound lanes there is a left turn lane just over the overpass to allow you to cross the two lanes of traffic southbound in order for you to merge onto the TCH westbound.

If you are in the left lane southbound in order to turn left to merge onto the TCH eastbound, the traffic is usually lined up and moving very slowly or stopped. Are you obligated to not block the intersection of the opposite direction left turn lane? Bear in mind that there is a more or less constant stream of traffic that is moving in the right hand southbound lane.

Did I make that clear enough?

Edited by LJ, 10 October 2017 - 08:15 PM.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#964 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:24 PM

Yes, very clear.

It's courteous for sure, but is one obliged to do that? I'm not so sure. In areas where blocked exits are common you'll often see a "Do not block X" sign.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#965 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:02 PM

I'm concerned that if someone leaves the space open the person in the left turn lane will take it as an invitation and get smucked by a car in the right hand lane.

I have seen it happen once, and I have seen many close calls so I am not comfortable leaving an opening.

#966 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 11 October 2017 - 08:41 PM

Yup, and there’s that too. It’s a bit of a mess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#967 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 08:46 PM

We came south over the Malahat this morning and were forced to stop at the blasting site for 10 minutes.

This would be a good time to test the interval cameras while drivers are doing 130km to make up for lost time.

Edited by Bingo, 13 October 2017 - 08:47 PM.

#968 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:08 PM

Further to my Millstream/TCH question above.

I contacted Steve Wallace to see if he could shed some light on the subject. Essentially what it comes down to is "left goes last" meaning you are under no obligation in this instance to provide an opening to a vehicle wishing to turn left across the two lanes of traffic.

I wouldn't be too surprised if with the completion of Leigh road they will shut down this non-signaled left turn lane in the near future.

#969 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 16 October 2017 - 08:36 PM

There are improvements coming to the overpass, so maybe they'll handle that left turn somehow. I'd pull up the schematics but I see they've been removed from BC Bid (at least I can't find them).

Know it all.

#970 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,508 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 16 October 2017 - 09:09 PM

I leave that space open.  Not a fan of blocking intersections, makes emergency vehicle access difficult.  It's not up to me to block someone from turning.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#971 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 17 October 2017 - 07:54 PM

It's also not up to me to provide an invitation for for a vehicle to get smucked either. 

• Redd42 likes this

#972 LJ

LJ
  • 12,742 posts

Posted 18 October 2017 - 07:52 PM

Further to my Millstream/TCH overpass question, I e-mailed City of Langford with my concerns last night. 

I got a phone call and this e-mail back this morning......

Thank you for your email.  The City has tendered and awarded improvements to the overpass that include adding a signal at the intersection so vehicles can safely turn left off of Millstream onto the TCH and as well adding a second left turn lane for vehicles heading south on Millstream that wish to turn left onto the TCH to head into Victoria. Work will begin in early 2018 and is expected to be completed by May of next year.

Thank you for taking the time to contact the City.

Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please do not hesitate to contact the undersigned.

Kind Regards,

George Henshall, AScT
Deputy Director of Engineering and Public Works

• Mike K. likes this

#973 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:33 AM

A friend of mine was telling me that it is a requirement to have winter tires for the Malahat and that police are pulling people over and fining for non compliance.  I always thought this was a suggestion because I am not spending $1000 on winter tires for the one or two times I go over the Malahat each winter.  Anyone else know anything about this

#974 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:35 AM

It true, they changed it to required a couple of years ago.

https://www2.gov.bc....ut-winter-tires

Edited by sdwright.vic, 23 October 2017 - 07:46 AM.

Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#975 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:45 AM

Mud/Snow is fine too, which isn't true winter tires.

#976 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 07:58 AM

ya, forget it, I'll join the rest of the 99.999999999999999999999% of Victoria without winter tires and take the risk of a $121 fine over $1000 for winter tires.  Hey guys its raining, get your winter tires on  :whyme:   Once again some bureaucrat with zero common sense

#977 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:25 AM

Motorcycles are exempt, but don't ride over the 'Hat if it's actually snowing up there.  :P

#978 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,552 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:30 AM

The only people who don't have all season tires are folks who choose performance tires for sports cars, etc. I'd wager a good 50% of drivers who traverse the Malahat have proper tires for the winter season. It might even be higher. Most people don't take chances with winter weather and mountain roads.

• sdwright.vic likes this

Know it all.

#979 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:58 AM

^so if you have to go to Duncan, Nanaimo, etc next week and not again until the summer you have winter tires on your car?  How many people do you know that live in the CRD and own winter tires?

#980 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 23 October 2017 - 08:59 AM

^so if you have to go to Duncan, Nanaimo, etc next week and not again until the summer you have winter tires on your car?  How many people do you know that live in the CRD and own winter tires?

Just get M&S tires and leave them on all year if you want to avoid spending a grand on extra tires.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users