Photo

[Trans Canada Highway] The Malahat

• Please log in to reply
2241 replies to this topic

#941 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 September 2017 - 05:43 PM

We drive the Malahat quite often & one thing we comment on every trip is how many drivers hug the centre line or are over it, especially in the areas where it goes from one lane to two.  Frustrated and out of control.

That's everywhere here in BC. No one has a clue how to keep their vehicles between the painted lines... they're all clipping imaginary apexes like want-be-be race car drivers. There is never a reason to hang over the center line into oncoming traffic while negotiating a left hand curve nor should a motor vehicle ever dip a tire into a bike lane when the road curves to the right... but most everyone here does it.

#942 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 06 September 2017 - 06:27 PM

That's everywhere here in BC. No one has a clue how to keep their vehicles between the painted lines... they're all clipping imaginary apexes like want-be-be race car drivers. There is never a reason to hang over the center line into oncoming traffic while negotiating a left hand curve nor should a motor vehicle ever dip a tire into a bike lane when the road curves to the right... but most everyone here does it.

Absolutely. Even more ridiculous when drivers do it while there is a cyclist in the right lane!

#943 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 09:07 AM

I can report that is was Realtor and all-around good guy Shane King in the Corvette crash.

screenshot-www.facebook.com-2017-09-07-10-04-24.png

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#944 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:31 PM

Do you think Island residents would accept a $50 or $100/ year insurance surcharge to build a Malahat bypass?

I think that would bring in $35 to $70M per year.

Chris Foord says let's build a new road:

http://www.vicnews.c...-malahat-route/

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 07 September 2017 - 12:35 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#945 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 12:55 PM

Why should I pay a surcharge for a road that I use once or twice a year?  Either make a case for federal and provincial funding, or make it a toll highway.

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#946 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:05 PM

Why don't we toll the entrance to your driveway?

We all benefit from roads in many ways, NS. Sometimes the benefit is indirect but it's there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#947 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 01:30 PM

Well I just thought that it would mostly be of benefit to Islanders. Directly and via commerce, torurism etc.

#948 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,348 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 07 September 2017 - 02:50 PM

Toll highway, that'd be funny, right after the 'toll free BC' announcement a couple weeks ago!

Of course, BC Ferries fares aren't considered tolls for some reason...

#949 malahatdrive

malahatdrive
  • 186 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:04 PM

Do you think Island residents would accept a $50 or $100/ year insurance surcharge to build a Malahat bypass?

I think that would bring in $35 to $70M per year.

Chris Foord says let's build a new road:

http://www.vicnews.c...-malahat-route/

He is calling for a new 120 km/hour route. I don't know if we need that. I do think we need a partial bypass of Goldstream Park at least and then upgrade the rest (as is being done Aspen Rd to Shawnigan Lake Road). I would be happy with a fully divided 4 lane highway. 90 km/hr is sufficient.

Edited by malahatdrive, 07 September 2017 - 03:06 PM.

#950 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 September 2017 - 03:11 PM

Very little difference in the design between a 90k route and a 120, perhaps a wider separation between opposing travel lanes. The 'hat right now as it stands can handle 90kmh for at least 80% of it. 

For once I agree with Mr Foord

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan and malahatdrive like this

#951 exc911ence

exc911ence
  • 757 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:47 AM

The only problems with the current Malahat are the people using it. 

• lanforod and Wayne like this

#952 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:49 AM

The only problems with the current Malahat are the people using it. 

And that's all fine.  But you can be an A1 perfect driver, but that does not stop the idiot from killing you in a head-on.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 08 September 2017 - 07:49 AM.

• jonny likes this

#953 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:12 AM

And that's all fine.  But you can be an A1 perfect driver, but that does not stop the idiot from killing you in a head-on.

..while the idiot is distracted by all the onboard computer technology as well as the cell phone.

ICBC is away behind in figuring out what to do with these drivers and their vehicles.

• rjag likes this

#954 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 08:49 AM

..while the idiot is distracted by all the onboard computer technology as well as the cell phone.

ICBC is away behind in figuring out what to do with these drivers and their vehicles.

Its like they are being politically correct here. The one area ICBC is not discussing is better quality driver training with a higher standard. Instead they rely on little green and red magnets attached to your bumper and a 'probationary period'....what a joke. 

This is like the engineers that were studying the bombers returning from raids over Germany. They kept patching and reinforcing all the holes of the returning planes and making the planes heavier thereby causing them to take smaller bomb loads.....then some bright spark suggested that the ones that returned with the holes in them were fine, and that perhaps reinforcing the areas without holes may be the cause of the ones not returning....of course the bureaucrats went apesh!t at such a suggestion but it was tested and all of a sudden there was an increase on the number of planes returning....moral of the story is like the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.....so why not change it up and start focusing on driver training and getting the poor drivers off the road....or better yet dont give them a license to begin with....

You know who they are, they dont all use cell phones but dont signal at intersections or lane changing, run reds and yellows or are so nervous that they cant make a decision if their life depended on it....

• jonny likes this

#955 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 10:10 AM

Why don't we toll the entrance to your driveway?

We all benefit from roads in many ways, NS. Sometimes the benefit is indirect but it's there.

I think that's kinda my point, Mike...it's a highway that benefits everyone - upgrades to it should come from general revenue.  If we're not going to go that route, then everything should be tolled..

• Mike K. likes this
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#956 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 08 September 2017 - 07:55 PM

Its like they are being politically correct here. The one area ICBC is not discussing is better quality driver training with a higher standard. Instead they rely on little green and red magnets attached to your bumper and a 'probationary period'....what a joke. 

This is like the engineers that were studying the bombers returning from raids over Germany. They kept patching and reinforcing all the holes of the returning planes and making the planes heavier thereby causing them to take smaller bomb loads.....then some bright spark suggested that the ones that returned with the holes in them were fine, and that perhaps reinforcing the areas without holes may be the cause of the ones not returning....of course the bureaucrats went apesh!t at such a suggestion but it was tested and all of a sudden there was an increase on the number of planes returning....moral of the story is like the definition of insanity, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different outcome.....so why not change it up and start focusing on driver training and getting the poor drivers off the road....or better yet dont give them a license to begin with....

You know who they are, they dont all use cell phones but dont signal at intersections or lane changing, run reds and yellows or are so nervous that they cant make a decision if their life depended on it....

Stand near a roundabout some time and watch how many folks correctly use their turn signals, it will be a single digit percentage I guarantee you.

• rjag likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#957 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

Big crash on the Malahat. It just occurred north of Goldstream Park in the northbound lane and involves four or five vehicles.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#958 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 04:30 PM

Big crash on the Malahat. It just occurred north of Goldstream Park in the northbound lane and involves four or five vehicles.

I wonder if they were all speeders and if those cameras would have saved them....

#959 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,566 posts

Posted 19 September 2017 - 05:02 PM

Word is there might have been a drunk dude involved. No confirmation yet though.

Know it all.

#960 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 October 2017 - 10:54 AM

Malahat going down to just 2 lanes - 24/7 until May 2018

This traffic pattern change will take effect after the Thanksgiving long weekend and remain in place 24/7 until the May long weekend in 2018. This is in order to ensure blasting activities can be completed safely and to provide clear and consistent lanes for drivers through the project during the winter months when visibility is often reduced by weather conditions. Intermittent traffic stoppages are also required for blasting but will occur outside peak periods (6 a.m. to 9 a.m. southbound and 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. northbound).

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users