Photo

Sewage treatment in Victoria | McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant

• Please log in to reply
5673 replies to this topic

Poll: What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost. (77 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you think of the report $1.2 billion Dollar sewage treatment cost.

1. We need it and waited too long that is the cost of waiting too long! (65 votes [23.47%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.47%

2. Local, Provincial, and Federal politicians will find a way to help cut down the price to property owners. (3 votes [1.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 1.08%

3. Out of the question, too expensive for Greater Victoria. (122 votes [44.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 44.04%

4. It expensive, but if we do nothing costs will only rise. (20 votes [7.22%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.22%

5. We need to do it but greatly scale back the project. It has grwon out of hand. (34 votes [12.27%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 12.27%

6. No opinion, I do not know enough about the project to say of the costs are out of line or not. (33 votes [11.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.91%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#4941 Wally

Wally
  • 162 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 05:57 AM

So we've gone from zero, to three, now we're negotiating for two.

Oh oh.

And they are going to try to negotiate new terms after they have awarded the contract. Good luck with that unless we are prepared to start raising the price.

#4942 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:11 AM

And they are going to try to negotiate new terms after they have awarded the contract. Good luck with that unless we are prepared to start raising the price.

That's the only possible way to negotiate now, right?  "Get it to level #2 and we will give you an extra $10M".  And that will come only from City taxpayers.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4943 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:27 AM

Lisa Helps, July 9, 2014:

And with different technology, there is no noxious smell.

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.jd6VN8Xu.dpuf

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4944 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:29 AM

That's the only possible way to negotiate now, right?  "Get it to level #2 and we will give you an extra $10M".  And that will come only from City taxpayers.

First of many I am sure.

"You mean you don't want the plant painted a bright purple, that is going to cost extra!".

• A Girl is No one likes this

#4945 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 06:30 AM

I can already hear her next statement...

"Look, it's no use bickering over what was said in the past and by who about sewage smell.  We simply need to move on, pay another $10M to the contractor.  Bring it on!"

• spanky123 and A Girl is No one like this

#4946 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,148 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:11 AM

"The water produced could be used for landscaping or industrial purposes."

OK, this statement really takes the cake. What industry could there possibly be that could use this water? A brewery? How and the heck could they connect the outfall from the treatment plant to someone's garden hose?

What kind of person would make that statement?

#4947 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 11 April 2017 - 07:18 AM

Lisa Helps, July 9, 2014:

- See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.jd6VN8Xu.dpuf

Must be fabricated, Lisa Helps never supported the waste water treatment plant. She always said that it was a waste of money and that we should consider science based options.

#4948 Cassidy

Cassidy
  • Banned
  • 2,501 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:11 AM

I don't think folks quite yet realize just how much this new plant is likely going to stink.

Based on the metrics offered by those in the know who are associated with the project, if I take 20 people and stand half a mile away from the plant, in the direction the wind is blowing, 10 of those people will smell nothing, and the other 10 will think it stinks.

Now put that into actual numbers of folks who live in ... let's say James Bay.

So now we've got 12,000 people - 6000 of whom can't smell anything - BUT the other 6000 residents think they smell crap 24 hours a day!

Sounds like a real winner to me! :whyme:  :confused:  :whyme:  

#4949 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:18 AM

Oh yeah, this'll be so poorly executed we'll think the bridge was the height of swift execution.

To think that the project hasn't even started and already politicians are scrambling to fix a glaring issue...

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4950 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:55 AM

^ And as they stumble from one part to the next of this lame brained 'plan', Mike, more problems will be discovered. Just wait until they start digging along the bluffs along the Dallas waterfront. And laying a pipe under the harbour! I'm sure they'll do that very efficiently. And then will come more noise and stink, when the plant finally opens, well over a billion dollars later. And remind me again. Where do the data point to a current problem in our marine environment, that requires such an expensive and urgent solution? And how will we quantify the 'improvements' to our environment by this massive undertaking? This whole thing shakes my faith in reason, and makes me question where any real leadership is supposed to come from.

Way back when, our city's representatives should have fought tooth and nail to make sure Victoria wasn't ordered to rush into sewage treatment. Instead, the idea that there would be provincial and federal money available was just too great a temptation for our local yokel politicians. Their thinking at the time was "we probably won't need treatment for quite some time, but we will need it one day. So why not grab the money now while it's being offered?" Thanks for the leadership. Now we're stuck with this!

• Bingo likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#4951 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 09:33 AM

This whole thing started with Campbell's fear that Americans could upset the Vancouver Olympics.

And eventually lead to local politicians being told that if they stood in the way of the project, they could face jail terms. I'm re-posting the entire article, published in 2012, in case it gets removed. That happens quite often with online news.

CRD director kept in check on sewage
Directors could face fines and jail if they hinder progress on billion-dollar sewage program.

http://www.vicnews.c...heck-on-sewage/

Capital Regional District directors who hinder progress on the upcoming secondary sewage treatment project could face steep fines – even jail time – under new federal regulations.

CRD staff presented a report on new Fisheries Act regulations that warns directors if they intentionally do not meet the 2020 deadline for the project, they could be fined up to $500,000 or face two years in prison.

“That’s for every individual incident, and each day the violation occurs is a separate incident,” said Denise Blackwell, chair of the CRD’s liquid waste management committee.

The federal wastewater regulations, brought into effect last month, identify nearly 400 communities across Canada that are considered high risk for their lack of secondary sewage treatment.

“The federal government believes we’re their number one target for not meeting these regulations, and that’s why they’re giving us $280 million,” Blackwell said.

The federal and provincial governments have agreed to fund two-thirds of the Capital Region’s $782-million project, while the CRD will foot the remainder.

The CRD commitment to the project was never in doubt. But critics have been lobbying the regional district to request an exemption under the regulations and avoid the huge public expenditure.

The Association for Responsible and Environmentally Sustainable Sewage Treatment (ARESST) purports the current system of pumping screened sewage into the Strait of Juan de Fuca is environmentally sound.

But CRD staff wrote in their report that “there are no opportunities to get an exemption from the new regulations, unless the facility is located in the north,” specifying only Nunavut, Northwest Territories and parts of Quebec and Newfoundland and Labrador as eligible areas.

Former federal environment minister David Anderson told the News that the regulations should be adjusted to allow regions like Greater Victoria the chance to utilize its unique geographical advantages for sewage treatment.

“If the federal government decided to have the same snow-removal requirements for Victoria as in Quebec, we would call that ridiculous,” Anderson said.

When the CRD passes a bylaw later this month, a process will begin to appoint a panel of seven experts who will run the project. While no CRD directors will sit on the panel, the bylaw will contain explicit language to ensure financial accountability, Blackwell said.

“Any changes to the budget in any way, shape or form have to come back to (the CRD).”

The panel should be in place by November. Its first task will be to solicit requests for qualifications from interested companies for the McLoughlin Plant design and construction.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4952 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 10:35 AM

We covered the legal issues earlier in this thread and Blackwell was over-reacting. There never was any risk of a fine or jail which is why it was never mentioned again.

Edited by spanky123, 12 April 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#4953 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

A&WMA Vancouver Island Technical Luncheon 25 April, presentation

"Science, Sewage Treatment and Policymaking in Victoria,"

Brian Burchill. 

Presentation summary, Burchill bio, registration details: 

http://www.pnwis.org...er-island-awma/

:)

#4954 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:00 PM

A&WMA Vancouver Island Technical Luncheon 25 April, presentation

"Science, Sewage Treatment and Policymaking in Victoria,"

Brian Burchill. 

Presentation summary, Burchill bio, registration details: 

http://www.pnwis.org...er-island-awma/

• A Girl is No one likes this

#4955 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,558 posts

Posted 12 April 2017 - 03:20 PM

We covered the legal issues earlier in this thread and Blackwell was over-reacting. There never was any risk of a fine or jail which is why it was never mentioned again.

Oh? I had no idea.

Know it all.

#4956 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 09:53 AM

Excerpt:
Three qualified teams have been shortlisted to participate in the next stage of the competitive selection process to design, build, partially finance, operate and maintain the Residuals Treatment Facility over a 20-year term for the Wastewater Treatment Project.

Residual solids from the McLoughlin Point Wastewater Treatment Plant will be piped to the Residuals Treatment Facility at Hartland Landfill, where they will be treated and turned into what are known as "Class A" biosolids. These biosolids are a high quality by-product safe for further use.

Seven submissions were received in response to the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) which closed on February 9, 2017. The following three teams have been selected to move forward to the Request for Proposals stage:

Residuals Treatment Facility Proponents Shortlisted for the Wastewater Treatment Project

#4957 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 10:11 AM

AND today, Times Colonist (page A4 image below) advert for selling off the would-be sludge plant site on Esquimalt's Viewfield Road. While plans say Hartland, who knows what could happen while the bidding goes on...

Attached Images

• Screenshot 2017-04-18 at 10.59.20.png

#4958 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 21 April 2017 - 04:26 PM

YYJSewage blog 21 April excerpt:

“We believe it is important and urgent to have a public forum of qualified experts to explore a seabed route prior to commencing drilling in June. We understand this proposal, among other advantages, would minimize damage to the Dallas Road bluffs, reduce construction time, provide greater resistance to earthquake damage and protect residents’ quality of life.”

James Bay Residents ask the Neighbourhood Association for Help

#4959 JohnN

JohnN
  • 2,172 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 05:43 AM

Excerpt:

The kicker, Ranns said, is that several of the 10 companies interested in the work don’t need the sludge to be treated first. So, depending on the option chosen, the $189-million sludge treatment project might not be needed. “We’re running these two processes. But the one process negates the other,” Ranns said.

Sludge plan might be a $189-million waste, Metchosin mayor says 

#4960 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 22 April 2017 - 10:33 AM

The sewage plan is like Trump policy...they stumble from one poorly thought out plan, to the next misfire, to an oh-oh, to the next bungle. We so deserve better than this.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)