Christmas Eve Dining

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 lily

lily
  • 1 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:01 AM

Hi everyone,

I'm pretty new to the area, and looking for some suggestions as to what restaurants are open and serving dinner on Christmas Eve. We're a small family of three, not looking to break the bank. I've googled to little success, finding lots of information on special Christmas DAY dinners and New Years Eve dinners, but not so much about Christmas Eve. It seems that a lot of places close up show relatively early here on a regular basis, and Christmas Eve earlier still, if they're open at all. We're looking for sometime between the 6:30-10pm range.

Does anyone have the inside scoop? :)

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,446 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:35 AM

Hi Lily
Welcome to Vibrant Victoria. I am sure you will receive a lot of good suggestions here. I would suggest you open up the yellow pages and check out the menus that will give you an idea as to what type of restaurants are available. I would then call the ones that appeal to you and see if they are open that evening.

#3 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:44 AM

I'm guessing the hotels restaurants are booked.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#4 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 03:23 PM

I'm guessing the hotels restaurants are booked.

I was gonna say, most hotel restaurants stay open late on X-mas eve.

#5 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 08:37 PM

Do the traditional thing and go Jewish ("Don Siegel, author of From Lokshen to LoMein: The Jewish Love Affair with Chinese Food, explains why a Chinese dinner is a culinary favorite for Jews on Christmas Day."). There are some really good Chinese restaurants in Victoria, and you'll find the camaraderie of not having a "oh-I'm-missing-xmas-dinner-at-home" mood! ;-)
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#6 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 09:33 PM

Makes me think of the slightly borderline racist ending to the movie A Christmas Story.

"You'll shoot your eye out!"

I do love that movie though.

#7 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,190 posts

Posted 13 December 2009 - 10:26 PM

[Donning fire-proof coveralls] Y'know, if I were looking for a Christmas dinner without the hassle, or breaking the bank, I'd head to White Spot. They usually have a turkey dinner special on. It's not particularly upmarket, or likely to attract the Michelin Guide, just decent, economical, well-presented food.
Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#8 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 08:51 AM

Any new Christmas dining tips this year?
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#9 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 05:54 PM

I just went to white spot recently after not going for years. Boy has the menu changed and boy have the prices changed. There's certainly more selection but the prices seem to have gone up quite a bit. I guess they're trying to be more of a fancy chain and less of a "family restaurant" type chain?
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2010 - 06:05 PM

Any new Christmas dining tips this year?

Donate a turkey

#11 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 24 November 2010 - 09:26 PM

Here's something dining-out related to do on Christmas Eve - the Fernwood Inn will be hosting the first annual Christmas Eve Community Caroling Party between 2pm and 6pm. The restaurant will be open for those that want to have an early supper and get their wassail on!

#12 dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

I just booked at "Lure" in the Ocean Pointe resort for Christmas eve for my wife and 2 kids. That was last Friday and they still had lots of openings available. You can order off the menu or they have a holiday 3 course meal option. Their entres are a bit on the high side but they have a great kids menu and we have always had good meals there.
Worth checking out but I would book fast places will be filling up!

http://www.lurevictoria.com/

250-360-LURE (5873) Design by

#13 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• Banned
  • 6,905 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 25 November 2010 - 06:27 PM

We're doing the traditional family thing (dinner, opening stockings etc) at home + midnight Mass on Christmas Eve. However due to the size of the immediate and extended family group for the first time we decided to do dinner "out" on Christmas Day, December 25th; we tried Hotel Grand Pacific and "Lure" but both are solidly booked that night. We've opted for the Marriott instead.

#14 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 57,753 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 05:43 AM

christmas eating options:

https://www.victoria...-christmas-day/

#15 Barrrister

Barrrister
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 06:27 AM

Consider the Penny Farthing on Christmas Eve. Solid pub food, reasonable prices.

Double check that they are open, I think that they are closed for Christmas.

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#16 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 11:13 AM

I did the Penny for Xmas Eve last year. It was lovely.

Due to covid it is appies at home on the couch this year.

Did a big Thrifty's shop late yesterday evening. Would not consider going any where near a grocery / liquour store today. 

• Matt R. likes this

#17 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,897 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 12:04 PM

I have a wheel of Vacherin for today, or maybe Boxing Day? Dinner tomorrow is the Hello Fresh Christmas dinner box, thanks Santa!

I stopped by country grocer yesterday but kept on driving as the line was allllllll the way down the exterior of the building, probably a half hour wait. Decided to go after work, 7 pm, line up to get in was short but the parking lot was full so I was suspicious. Sure enough, line up to pay was snaked half way around the interior, another half hour wait. They are still capped at 75 occupants, but everyone was in a good mood and accepting of their fate, lol. I guess they were as capacity from open to close.

Matt.
  • vortoozo and todd like this

#18 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,787 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 01:47 PM

Swans is open from 1300-2000 on Xmas Day, you can book online: https://swansbrewery.com/pub/

#19 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,073 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 02:34 PM

I have a wheel of Vacherin for today, or maybe Boxing Day? Dinner tomorrow is the Hello Fresh Christmas dinner box, thanks Santa!

I stopped by country grocer yesterday but kept on driving as the line was allllllll the way down the exterior of the building, probably a half hour wait. Decided to go after work, 7 pm, line up to get in was short but the parking lot was full so I was suspicious. Sure enough, line up to pay was snaked half way around the interior, another half hour wait. They are still capped at 75 occupants, but everyone was in a good mood and accepting of their fate, lol. I guess they were as capacity from open to close.

Matt.

I did the Hello Fresh Thanksgiving box. The trick is to do a shot before starting each step :P

• Matt R. and Redd42 like this

#20 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,897 posts

Posted 24 December 2020 - 03:55 PM

Oooh there are a lot of steps but I suspect I will throw the instruction book in the recycling.

We’ve been using these meal delivery boxes a few days a week since we reopened in May, they’ve been a real life saver. Grocery store is a hassle, kid transitioned to university online this year, mom and dad working nearly every day since spring, so the other kid has learned how to make these meals and it’s great!

I often think about opening for chistmas eve and day, as the business would be there for sure but then I think nahhhhhh lol.

Matt.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users