Dollar Tree - 1420 Douglas St.

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#81 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:05 AM

^Ah, I forgot about that! Yes, I even recall the controversy that the CRD did not like the blue box scavengers because they were removing returnables that the CRD had already budgeted for in their revenue stream which subsidized the entire recycling process. So either me or the CRD receives this ill-gotten gain!

I still don't understand how a retailer/bottler can opt out of the deposit scheme.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#82 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 07:41 PM

^I'm pretty sure they can't.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#83 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 08:44 PM

UNLESS they have decided to do all in pricing?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#84 phx

phx
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 09:40 PM

I think it is deposit-exempt due to the non-standard bottle size. Don't ask me why, I don't make the rules.

#85 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

^That explanation sounds plausible. Deposits exist to discourage litter yet I can't believe there'd be too many of these massive Shasta bottles the size of rain barrels left by the side of the highway.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#86 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 10 June 2012 - 10:52 PM

I gotta link this... http://youtu.be/j_XEOrAl1J8

And I'd have to go with non-standard size being the reason for no deposit.

#87 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 12:56 AM

But don't bottle deposits work on a system of over or under one liter? I don't see how anything could be non-standard with that.

#88 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:00 AM

Here is a little light reading for you chaps.

http://www.bottlebil...ishcolumbia.htm

#89 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:07 AM

Here is some more mustard for your sandwich.

http://www.bclaws.ca...eeside/449_2004

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

This registry, updated June 11, 2012, does not include any Shasta products:

http://www.return-it...gisteredbrands/
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#91 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

UNLESS they have decided to do all in pricing?

The Act linked above says the deposit must be itemized on the store receipt.

And I'd have to go with non-standard size being the reason for no deposit.

It doesn't appear to have any exemptions for any reason. There is a registry but it doesn't say only registered brands can be redeemed.

Maybe tire and car battery retailers are reading this and saying "why the hell can't I opt out of this scheme, too?"

#92 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 08:16 AM

The Act linked above says the deposit must be itemized on the store receipt.

It doesn't appear to have any exemptions for any reason. There is a registry but it doesn't say only registered brands can be redeemed.

Maybe tire and car battery retailers are reading this and saying "why the hell can't I opt out of this scheme, too?"

The registry is quite comprehensive. I wonder why have it if it isn't to keep track of what needs to be recycled, with deposits.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#93 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:14 PM

Yes, it's like the law saying all vehicles must not exceed the speed limit. And here are the manufacturers we have registered that must obey that law: Acura, American Motors, Austin-Healey, Audi, etc, etc, ad infinitum...

#94 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:22 PM

OK, so a few items.

I guess since early 2011, it has been DOLLAR TREE (Canada) although the sign on the outside still says Dollar Giant.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Dollar_Tree

http://www.dollartre...lar-tree-canada

Today, here's the 2.5L Shasta report:

Plenty of Cola, 30 or so bottles of Diet Cola, plenty of Tiki Punch, and lots of Lemon Lime Twist. No deposit or eco-fee. I picked up some Tiki.

And I thought this was a good buy, 8-packs of Rocky Snow Ice Pops, variety pack, 720ml, $1.00. Although if you could put the Shasta in to plastic tubes and freeze it, and it tasted good, that'd be a better deal.

#95 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:29 PM

And I thought this was a good buy, 8-packs of Rocky Snow Ice Pops, variety pack, 720ml, $1.00. Although if you could put the Shasta in to plastic tubes and freeze it, and it tasted good, that'd be a better deal.

I'm thinking a few hundred feet of some sort of industrial weather-stripping plastic and a heated seam sealer and you're in business.

What about extorting the operation. Bring in some black cherry Shasta or we expose the whole deposit scam to Encorp. I note the maximum fine for non-compliance is $200,000.

#96 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:32 PM

The Shasta stock seemed pretty depleted. They only have gingerale, lemon-lime, diet cola and orange.

Soda Rots Your Teeth

I'm sure you know that your favorite fizzy sugary elixir is not doing a thing for your waistline, but did you also know it's rotting your teeth? You might think it is the sugar, but you would be wrong. Sodas rank high in acidity, and when it comes to your mouth, that acidity can speed up the development of cavities.

http://www.fitsugar....ur-Teeth-380704

#97 Bob Fugger

Bob Fugger

Chief Factor

• 3,190 posts
  • LocationSouth Central CSV

Posted 11 June 2012 - 01:35 PM

Soda Rots Your Teeth

I'm sure you know that your favorite fizzy sugary elixir is not doing a thing for your waistline, but did you also know it's rotting your teeth? You might think it is the sugar, but you would be wrong. Sodas rank high in acidity, and when it comes to your mouth, that acidity can speed up the development of cavities.

http://www.fitsugar....ur-Teeth-380704

Yeah, and not the fun kind of acid, either!

#98 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 11 June 2012 - 02:46 PM

I drink pop like 2 times a month I am not going crazy with it.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#99 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 25 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

Today, here's the 2.5L Shasta report:

Plenty of Diet Cola, 5 or so bottles of Cola, maybe 10 bottles of Tiki Punch, and lots of Lemon Lime Twist.

No deposit or eco-fee.

I picked up some more Tiki.

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:48 PM

Lots of Shasta in last week.

Now, they have 4-pack cans too. Like a six-pack, but the plastic tie thingy holds four cans. But here's the kicker, they are 4 for $1.00 PLUS 5 cents per can deposit. The clerk told me there was no deposit on the bottle as it is a US size. I dunno.

I bought another 2.5L Tiki.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users