Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7652 replies to this topic

#3421 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 615 posts

Posted 26 December 2017 - 08:19 PM

Looking at the load factors YTD I am going to predict just shy or just over 2 million. Very busy place during Dec and it can def put the numbers up. Full charter flights heading south this year I'm told.

But on the expansion front, the communicate from the VAA to staff is this about the hold room construction.

It was just approved by the board and construction may begin sometime in 2018. Why the delay is beyond me when I swear I saw them planning for it starting back in the fall of this year.  

#3422 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 12:53 PM

Delta council members say they are hearing concerns from residents worried about a significant increase in noise pollution as the Vancouver Airport Authority moves closer to its 2037 expansion plans.

"Residents have said they can't have a barbecue with friends in the backyard without the sound of aircraft coming overtop their property," said Coun. Jeannie Kanakos.

"That to me is an impact on quality of life and a significant concern."

According to a report from the Vancouver Airport Authority, there were 58 planes flying daily over Tsawwassen in 2015. By 2037, that number is expected to jump to 312 daily aircraft movements — an increase of 438 per cent. 

The report projects a 154 per cent increase for daily aircraft movements for neighbouring North Delta over the next twenty years.

Kanakos said the city is working with the Vancouver Airport Authority to come up with a plan to reduce noise pollution.

"A lot can be done with positioning of the route," she said.

"We have farmland and bog where there are no residents. We welcome the aircraft to fly over the bog and the farmland rather than over the residential areas of Delta."

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4466496?cmp=rss

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 December 2017 - 12:54 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3423 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:26 PM

This just in, people living near an airport complain about plane noise.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3424 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 01:52 PM

Arriving and departing aircraft noise can be heard and in some cases felt many miles from an airport. I think that’s the big issue.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3425 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:14 PM

Arriving and departing aircraft noise can be heard and in some cases felt many miles from an airport. I think that’s the big issue.

In 1929 the city of Vancouver purchased land on Sea Island for aviation purposes, replacing the original grass airstrip at Minoru Park

#3426 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,618 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:34 PM

Slowly but surely my investment in Bombardier is paying off. Way quieter planes....
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#3427 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

So you bought property anywhere near an airport and now you are complaining about noise?  Uh huh

#3428 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:45 PM

Seattle just got its last ever domestic 747 BTW.

The Seahawks traveled in style for their final road game of the regular season, taking a Delta Boeing 747 to and from their business trip to Dallas for the team's Week 16 win against the Cowboys.

This month, nearly 50 years after its debut, U.S. airlines are retiring use of the jumbo jet, and Delta Air Lines, the Official Airline of the Seattle Seahawks, is the last remaining U.S. operator of the Boeing passenger airplane. Last week, Delta sent a 747 jet on a farewell tour of the country, and the Seahawks' trip to and from Dallas marks Delta's very last 747 to arrive in Seattle.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 28 December 2017 - 02:46 PM.

#3429 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 02:52 PM

So you bought property anywhere near an airport and now you are complaining about noise?  Uh huh

A little bit of perspective goes a very long way here.

The town centre of the community of Tsawwassen is 21 kilometers as the bird flies from Vancouver International Airport.

That's like saying that someone living on Shelbourne at McKenzie, who will soon have hundreds of aircraft descending and departing above their home daily due to a new runway addition and reconfiguration of flight paths, bought property too close to Victoria International and should suck it up.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3430 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 04:53 PM

See before and after photos of Vancouver Airport.

http://www.vancitybu...t-photos-video/

#3431 LJ

LJ
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 07:19 PM

The town centre of the community of Tsawwassen is 21 kilometers as the bird flies from Vancouver International Airport.

That's like saying that someone living on Shelbourne at McKenzie, who will soon have hundreds of aircraft descending and departing above their home daily due to a new runway addition and reconfiguration of flight paths, bought property too close to Victoria International and should suck it up.

The aircraft flying over Tsawwassen are light aircraft at relatively low speeds at fixed altitudes, not jet traffic.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3432 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,807 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 08:10 PM

Having grown up in T-town I can tell you that compared to Victoria you get a lot of large jet overflight noise. I am not sure that those would be all YVR traffic though.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3433 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 09:30 PM

I think the issue is a change to YVR’s future arrivals and departures flight paths, not the existing situation.

Know it all.

#3434 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 10:28 PM

I lived in Tsawwassen a few decades ago and never recall aircraft noise

I currently live 8.5km as the crow flies from YYJ and I might hear a plane every 3 or 4 months

#3435 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2017 - 11:01 PM

Can you hear any noise from the crow flying?

• Matt R. likes this

#3436 nerka

nerka
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 12:00 AM

Like the whiners in Oak Bay who bought a mere 50 km from Whidbey Island and are now complaining about the sound of freedom.

• VicHockeyFan, Matt R., Bingo and 1 other like this

#3437 LJ

LJ
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:45 PM

Can you hear any noise from the crow flying?

Yes, they are quite noisy when they fly. You can hear them coming from quite a long distance. Ravens on the other hand do not make much noise when they fly.

#3438 LJ

LJ
  • 12,766 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 07:52 PM

I think the issue is a change to YVR’s future arrivals and departures flight paths, not the existing situation.

Well they are not going to be overflying at a low altitude, they will be above 4000' and on a downwind leg at minimum/low power settings. 

#3439 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:21 PM

Like the whiners in Oak Bay who bought a mere 50 km from Whidbey Island and are now complaining about the sound of freedom.

that noise has changed in the last 4 to 5 years because they changed the airstrip direction.  someone was supposed to know that when they bought in saanich and oak bay 10 years ago?  we are talking about people buying close to an airport and then complaining about noise

no idea what the US military jets taking off have to do with "freedom"

#3440 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,658 posts

Posted 29 December 2017 - 09:26 PM

Tjv, is 20km close to an airport, though? Tsawwassen is nowhere near YVR, just like Oak Bay isn’t anywhere near Whidby yet residents there and in many other areas are affected by the noise (50km away).

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users