Photo

Victoria International Airport (YYJ)

• Please log in to reply
7882 replies to this topic

#7781 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 01:55 PM

Kenmore is still around, just not every day of the week but still flying non stop to BFI ( Boeing field )

These flights are no longer scheduled. No more Kenmore ops from YYJ.
People ask for new routes / new carriers but then don't support them.

Can't fault Kenmore for giving it a good go - they tried it for a full year before pulling the plug.

• Missed Approach likes this

#7782 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 687 posts

Posted 14 June 2024 - 02:34 PM

Lynx owes alot of people alot of money. I wonder how much is owed to the VAA

https://vancouver.ci...-from-lynx-air/

#7783 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 84,731 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:17 AM

These flights are no longer scheduled. No more Kenmore ops from YYJ.
People ask for new routes / new carriers but then don't support them.
Can't fault Kenmore for giving it a good go - they tried it for a full year before pulling the plug.

I’m able to book flights in October. Maybe it’s a summer hiatus.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#7784 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 55,087 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:20 AM

Lynx owes alot of people alot of money. I wonder how much is owed to the VAA

https://vancouver.ci...-from-lynx-air/

There was a time when some airports collected the fees directly, to prevent that kind of loss.

Probably foolish to extend them so much credit.

#7785 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 687 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:36 AM

There was a time when some airports collected the fees directly, to prevent that kind of loss.

Probably foolish to extend them so much credit.

Probably right, I'm sure since Lynx stopped flying to YYJ before pulling the pin altogether, they settled their bill. 

#7786 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 08:40 AM

I mean if you think about it, most airlines collect all the fare and fees money well before the flight date. From most passengers. No good reason for airports to extend them any credit. How did somebody at Calgary let them get $2 million behind? That’s 57,142 sets of fees. Or 272 full plane departures.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 June 2024 - 08:44 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#7787 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 04:09 PM

I’m able to book flights in October. Maybe it’s a summer hiatus.

Potentially. Those October flights say they route through Friday Harbour, though. Kenmore stopped doing that, so those could just be "placeholder" flights left over from last year.

I don't know the practice at Kenmore specifically, but often airlines will load their schedules 11 months in advance with a copy of the current schedule, and then tweak it throughout the year as new routes are launched, frequencies changed, routes are cancelled, etc. The big airlines tend to do once monthly wholesale schedule changes, as well as larger seasonal ones (eg when they do their announcements for their new "winter schedules" etc). Often these are done quite predictably, usually on a Saturday at a certain time of the month depending on the airline. AC seems to do theirs mid-month.

• Mike K. and Missed Approach like this

#7788 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 04:12 PM

Here's a very good example of Westjet's predatory behavour.

They've been doing this since the dawn of time, and in fact it was one of the reasons that Canadian Airlines struggled since much of their domestic strength was in the West.

I briefly mentioned this when we were discussing Vegas flights. It was the same pattern as below. Flair announced the flight, Westjet announced it a month later, and then both pulled out because there was too much capacity between the two of them to make it work.

Jones said an example of that is what happened with service between Edmonton and Comox, B.C., on Vancouver Island, which Flair started offering in 2022.

"We started that route and within a month Swoop had started that same route on the same days at the same time as us. We ultimately couldn't survive there. We left and then Swoop left."

From: Want more low-cost flight options in Canada? Flair's retiring CEO says the rules need to change | CBC News

#7789 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,638 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2024 - 04:24 PM

That's the kind of behavior that should result in monopoly investigations, I'd think. Canada still very much is a duopoly for airlines in the west.

#7790 vortoozo

vortoozo
  • 2,046 posts

Posted 15 June 2024 - 04:30 PM

That's the kind of behavior that should result in monopoly investigations, I'd think. Canada still very much is a duopoly for airlines in the west.

I agree, and Westjet seems a LOT worse than AC in that regard.

AC generally makes motions to defend their turf, eg reinstating a few Ottawa non-stops when a competitor is expanding.

But they don't tend to have this blatantly route-specific predatory behaviour.

There's a difference between competition and being predatory.

#7791 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,638 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 15 June 2024 - 04:34 PM

I think Westjet has burned through all the good will they built up over the years of good service, its long in the rearview mirror, and Air Canada and Porter are going to reap the benefits of that.

• Nparker, vortoozo and Missed Approach like this

#7792 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 687 posts

Posted 16 June 2024 - 08:47 AM

I think Westjet has burned through all the good will they built up over the years of good service, its long in the rearview mirror, and Air Canada and Porter are going to reap the benefits of that.

Couldn't agree more, gone are their fun days of toilet paper roll races down the isle, jokes and prizes.

Gone are the waved overweight bag fees just because it was bad for customer service.

Even in their early days, I'd pass thru the hallway to the WestJet office space and the walls were covered with on time performance data, passenger counts on other carriers ( yes they'd send some one to the gate and count other airlines passengers getting on and off )

They would put the price of pens, paper and note pads costing the company, and encouraged their employees to being pens from home. 

In the early 2000's, all the staff would talk about was their  WestJet parties and profit sharing...... thats all that mattered then. And their hate on for AC too.

Edited by Missed Approach, 16 June 2024 - 08:49 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#7793 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 16 June 2024 - 08:54 AM

WestJet became what they hated most: Air Canada.

#7794 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,835 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 16 June 2024 - 10:23 AM

Couldn't agree more and that's after our recent WJ experience to and from MX which was overwhelmingly positive and pleasant. I went to school (university) with one of WJ's original founders (Mark Hill) and knew him very well. Mark was as far from "corporate" as you could possibly imagine, and in every sense of the word. I couldn't believe it later when he told me he was involved with some other guys tossing about the idea of starting an airline, lol. But stranger things have happened I suppose....

Then finding out much later Mark was at the center of the alleged corporate spying operation directed towards Air Canada 20+ years ago was even more of a shocker. He was a great guy in college but if in fact he was guilty of masterminding the hacking into AC's employee database and scheduling and other systems....well lets just say he was the wrong guy for that job.

#7795 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,835 posts
  • LocationEsquimalt

Posted 18 June 2024 - 09:54 PM

Sharp looking hotel development proposal for the Kelowna Airport, a 245-room Sutton Place operation:

https://www.castanet...a-airport-hotel

What is that, about twice the size of the new hotel going up at YYJ? Lots nicer looking too.

Edit: here is another link with a better idea of the design -

https://www.kelownan...port/#fs_137678

Edited by AllseeingEye, 18 June 2024 - 09:56 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#7796 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,638 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 19 June 2024 - 02:20 AM

Westjet possibly impacted by AMFA strike as soon as Thursday night.

#7797 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 02:59 AM

Westjet possibly impacted by AMFA strike as soon as Thursday night.

The WestJet Group begins flight cancellations in anticipation of WestJet Aircraft Maintenance Engineers and other Tech Ops employees' strike

"We are immensely disheartened that we are in a position where we must activate our contingency plan and begin parking aircraft, as a result of the strike notice served by AMFA. We deeply regret the disruption this will have on the travel plans of our guests, communities and businesses that rely on our critical air service," said Diederik Pen, President of WestJet Airlines and Group Chief Operating Officer. "Following the memberships' nearly unanimous decision to reject a generous tentative agreement that would have made our Aircraft Maintenance Engineers the highest paid in the country, with a take-home pay increase of 30 to 40 per cent in the first year of the proposed agreement, it is clear that the bargaining process has broken down."  

In the coming 48-hours the WestJet Group will work to park aircraft, in a measured, phased and safe approach, resulting in the following cancellations.

Total cancellation summary
Tuesday, June 18 – Wednesday, June 19:

• ~40 cancellations

Guest impact*

• ~6,500 guests impacted

*WestJet is making every effort to reaccommodate all impacted guests

https://westjet.medi...mployees-strike

#7798 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 55,087 posts

Posted 19 June 2024 - 09:48 AM

CNN:

Families that lost loved ones in two Boeing 737 Max crashes said on Wednesday that the company committed the “deadliest corporate crime in US history” and asked the Justice Department to fine the company the maximum $24 billion it could face in a criminal trial.

The families wrote to the Department of Justice asking for the fine as the US government considers criminal prosecution of Boeing. The Justice Department said last month that Boeing’s recent string of safety lapses and mishaps constituted a violation of its 2021 agreement that allowed the company to avoid charges for 737 Max crashes in Indonesia in October 2018 and in Ethiopia in March 2019 that killed 346 people.

#7799 Missed Approach

Missed Approach
  • 687 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 09:12 PM

YYJ stats for May 2024 domestically were sadly flat compared to April. 

Besides trans-boarder which is doing very well, YYJ is just not climbing post COVID as it would seem. 

Infinity Insurance is a large US based company having a conference in Victoria with about 500 delegates that been here all week.

Well behind YLW stats so far and I'm pretty sure YQB, Quebec City Airport will wither tie YYJ or take 11th place from Victoria.

https://yyj.ca/wp-co...ector_Stats.pdf

https://yyj.ca/wp-co...mmary_Stats.pdf

https://yyj.ca/wp-co...ement_Stats.pdf

You can see a definite change in the number of flights out of YYJ of late too. 

Edited by Missed Approach, 21 June 2024 - 09:32 PM.

#7800 Nparker

Nparker
  • 41,792 posts

Posted 21 June 2024 - 09:27 PM

I can see very little reason for people to choose to visit Victoria these days.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users