Photo

Police expenditures called into question

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#221 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 10:54 AM

I agree that under Paul Battershill the Victoria police department was less prone to random acts of violence or humiliation of people who looked "other."

What existed before he took control was worthy of scandal. The police department's history site says that "In the early days ... people were charged with being "a rogue and a vagabond" and also with being of "unsound mind"." 15 years ago looking like a rogue or vagabond or appearing to be of unsound mind still got you some pretty awful police attention.

That said - I don't know that it was the old police chief's fault that it was this way, or if the change really had anything to do with different policies from above, or just that some of the old school cops retired and the newer ones had a better education in social issues. I don't claim any special knowledge in that category. But something did change in the last decade and I am hoping it doesn't change back now.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#222 BC Mary

BC Mary
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 September 2008 - 06:50 PM

Sorry about the "Malone" thing when I meant to say "Mulroney" on my blog. Glad you guessed right. I'll go back and correct the error.

The Battershill issue has been handled very clumsily. To begin with, last October, he was far away at a Halifax conference speaking on the topic of civilian oversight for police forces -- how ironic! -- when they socked the guy with news that he's been locked out of his office, locked out of the Police Building, and couldn't communicate with any co-workers. Imagine.

Then he's left in isolation for 7 months. We don't know if he ever had the courtesy of a meeting with the Police Board. Good grief, they don't even treat criminals that way! Why was this allowed?

And since Battershill's contract was due to expire in December 2008, he resigned 4 months early and departed. Victoria is so much safer and saner now ... don't you think?? No, me either.

Nowhere in written documents or in reports, was there any mention of thanks, appreciation or good wishes given to this outstanding Chief of Police.

The whole thing was handled with an embarrassingly cruel, ugly crudeness which makes Victoria look backward and ignorant, like Zimbabwe or something.

Two brilliant careers have been badly damaged and -- excuse me -- since when is an office romance such a rare and a terrible event? Read the RCMP report and you'll see that no benefit resulted to either Battershill or Rusen.

None of the other allegations were proven.

So ... really, why were these two people treated so harshly?

Something is owed to the man who gave 9 years' service to Victoria, who made Victoria safer, who led the major investigation into drugs trafficking and then courageously followed that trail when it led right into the B.C. Legislature. Paul Battershill did much more than that. At very least we owe him formal thanks and our best wishes for his future.

The URL for Dirk Ryneveld's report can be found on my blog, as well as the URL for the RCMP report. Your comments are welcome too.

http://bctrialofbasi...k.blogspot.com/

#223 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 07:08 AM

The TC has run a multiple page feature in the Monitor section today. Looks like they have pretty much exposed everything.

I am not a big fan a public humiliations, but had Lowe and Battershill handled this issue properly then it wouldn't have come to this.

#224 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 21 September 2008 - 08:24 AM

^
Thanks for the heads-up!
Here's the link to what's online:
http://www.canada.co...67-fa286d8115f0

I'm not sure if that's exactly as the Monitor has it, but I don't have access to the paper edition.

#225 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 07:18 AM

A series of failures in Battershill case

Times Colonist

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The saga of former police chief Paul Battershill, as recreated Sunday by reporter Rob Shaw, is not merely a story of hubris, human frailty or departmental infighting.

Those were all factors. But more alarming, it is the story of an inattentive police board that failed to provide proper oversight, inadequate leadership from Mayor Alan Lowe, who chaired the board, and flawed provincial legislation that reduces the chances of proper civilian oversight of police.

The police board's performance was dismal. The members -- Lowe, Esquimalt Mayor Chris Clement, a non-politician appointed by each council and additional representatives appointed by the province -- relied almost entirely on limited information from Lowe and Battershill.

They approved severance agreements that cost taxpayers some $600,000, in at least one case without reading the agreement. That basic step could have led them to intervene much earlier, perhaps even in time to salvage the situation.

The board failed to ensure Battershill's job performance was being evaluated on an annual basis -- a requirement for the head of any well-managed organization. It was sluggish in following up reports and rumours of problems.

And it was content to rely upon assurances that nothing was wrong, rather than establish facts.

Consider the final chapter. Police board members did not read the RCMP report on the case. They relied on a verbal summary from Lowe as the basis to approve a negotiated severance agreement with Battershill.

After all the damage done to Battershill, other officers, the department and public confidence, the board members should have read the 12-page report for themselves. That's especially true given Lowe's role as both chairman of the police board and a champion of Battershill. He thought so highly of the chief that he made Battershill both chief of police and acting city manager in 2005.

Mayors and police chiefs work closely together. That raises the risk of real or perceived conflict of interest.

Again, consider two examples. In May 2007, Lowe signed a severance agreement that provided Battershill's former executive assistant with more than two years' salary. It included a secrecy clause that barred her from communicating with the police board. This agreement was approved by the board without reading it. It was drafted by a lawyer working for the department who was also in a relationship with Battershill. How could it be in the public interest to accept an agreement that prevented a departing employee from sharing concerns with police board members? Why demand -- or tolerate -- such a clause?

On Oct. 7, 2007, Lowe was briefed on concerns about Battershill -- including the relationship with the lawyer and deep distrust within the department -- by businessman Gerald Hartwig. Lowe met senior officers the next day. And on Oct. 9, he received a letter on the issues. But Lowe did not raise the concerns at a police board meeting that day, although two senior police officers were waiting to provide information.

There were just four board members at the meeting. But that was a majority of members at the time. The issue was pressing enough to demand an initial review.

The delay proved costly. The next day the letter was leaked to the media and the board was forced to begin reacting -- badly -- to what had become a crisis.

The case also highlights flaws in the Police Act, including the provision that the mayor must chair a police board. Given Lowe's role in approving the severance agreements, his relationship with Battershill and the fact that he was interviewed by the RCMP as part of their investigation, it would have been prudent for him to step aside as the case unfolded. That is not possible under the outdated provisions of the act.

That restriction made it even more important for Lowe to bring the board into the decision-making process, something he did not do.

Ultimately, this is a great loss for all concerned, not least because Battershill was in many ways an innovative and effective police chief. The force has been damaged and divided, taxpayers have faced huge costs and public confidence shaken. Reputations have been left in tatters.

The board and the province must act to ensure that such a case could never spiral so far out of control again.

© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2008

http://www.canada.co...d6-6ea27d3fa2f6

#226 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 23 September 2008 - 10:20 AM

In my opinion this is a very good lesson for Rob Reid and what happens to the "business community" candidate. The same people who backed Alan Lowe are now backing Rob. Alan went into the role thinking that he was going to have an impact and he leaves in disgrace with both personal and business damage. Such is th nature of Victoria politics, with any decision you are guaranteed to upset 50% of the population.

I said from day one that this whole fiasco was to "kill two birds with one stone". It worked obviously.

#227 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 11:41 PM

Two WVPD cops on $300K sick leave
Senior officers miss disciplinary hearing

James Weldon
North Shore News

Wednesday, November 05, 2008

Two senior West Vancouver police officers have been on sick leave for a year and a half at a cost of $300,000 in what the mayor says is a bid to avoid a disciplinary hearing.

Insp. Bob Fontaine and Staff Sgt. Doug Bruce of the WVPD have not been to work since the middle of last year, but they remain on the West Vancouver payroll. They were meant to appear at a disciplinary hearing last month, but were purportedly unable to attend for health reasons. As long as they are on sick leave, there appears to be little the municipality or the police department can do to force them to show.

"We feel let down by the Police Act," said Mayor Pam Goldsmith-Jones. "It's not fair to the inspectors; it's not fair to the chief who's trying to run a department; it's not fair to the board; and it's certainly not fair to the West Van taxpayer."

Last month's hearing was actually the second attempt by a disciplinary authority to review the case. A hearing slated for February this year had to be postponed when the officer in charge was himself suspended on an unrelated matter.

The hearing relates to a 2005 incident in which a West Vancouver constable was charged with drunk driving. Then-constable Lisa Alford was arrested in Burnaby in November of that year after she crashed her car into another vehicle while driving with a blood alcohol content almost three times the legal limit.

Fontaine and Bruce headed the internal inquiry into the incident and forwarded their conclusions to the Office of the Police Complaint Commissioner in April 2006. The commissioner accepted the report at face value and closed the file.

But when the incident was reported in the media a short time later, it came to light that Alford had been drinking at the police station with other officers the night she crashed. That aspect of the case -- which, along with other details, had allegedly not been included in Fontaine and Bruce's report -- prompted the complaint commissioner to reopen the file.

A new -- external -- investigation appears to have suggested that Fontaine and Bruce mishandled the file, omitting key information in their report. Chief Const. Paul Battershill, the Victoria officer appointed as disciplinary authority, called a hearing for February this year. That hearing had to be postponed when Battershill was suspended on an unrelated matter.

When Chief Const. Kash Heed took up the reins in West Vancouver in August 2007, the role of discipline authority passed on to him. Heed called another hearing, but the two officers in question said they were too ill to take part.

Heed has now passed the mantle to Port Moody police chief Brad Parker, who has called a hearing for the end of next week. It will be up to him to try to get the officers to show, he said.

"I have tried everything in my power to get this matter resolved," said Heed. "I am frustrated by it (and) I have made my frustrations known to others."

The News could not reach Fontaine or Bruce for comment, but a CTV report earlier this week showed Fontaine up and about fixing a rooming house in Vancouver and Bruce at his home in Penticton. Bruce insisted he was on leave due to stress; Fontaine insisted that his absence was not holding up the proceedings, but rather that he was eager to see them through.

"I'll leave it up to you and your readers who may have viewed the (broadcast) last night to determine if they are well enough to attend a hearing," said Heed.

In the meantime, the department is bleeding two salaries that could be going to new officers. "It's inhibiting (my ability) to ensure I'm delivering on all cylinders," said Heed.

Deputy police complaint commissioner Bruce Brown was unable to comment on the specifics of the case, but his attitude toward it was cautiously upbeat.

"We are optimistic that the discipline proceeding will occur at the end of next week," he said. "We just have to see if in fact it does occur."
© North Shore News 2008
http://www.canada.co...e8b31ba435e&p=2

#228 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:59 PM

South Island 2020 just posted that we might get "former Vancouver Police Chief Jame Graham" as new Victoria police chief. See Possible Victoria Police Chief Replacement.

Anyone know anything about him?

I still think it's weird that choosing and appointing a new chief is being done by the old guard.
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#229 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:06 PM

Correction: South Island 2020 spelled his name wrong, it's Jamie (not Jame) Graham, and I'm not liking what google turns up on him... :(

Eg:

Ex-Vancouver police chief Jamie Graham found guilty of 'discreditable conduct'
Pivot Legal Society releases letter upholding complaint

David Hogben, Vancouver Sun
Published: Thursday, October 23, 2008

VANCOUVER - Former Vancouver police chief Jamie Graham will not face disciplinary action after an investigation concluded he was guilty of "discreditable conduct" when he failed to cooperate with an investigation into 50 allegations of police misconduct. (more)

tons more on this guy, too...
When you buy a game, you buy the rules. Play happens in the space between the rules.

#230 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:14 PM

OMG, this is the guy who in 2006 was disciplined for "leaving a used target practice sheet with bullet holes through the head of the silhouette on the desk of the [Vancouver] city manager [Judy Rogers]. The chief had written on the sheet: 'A bad day at the range is better than the best day at work.'" See this article.

Just keeps getting better...

#231 LJ

LJ
  • 12,746 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:17 PM

He was continually at logger heads with VR city council why would any city want to hire him?

He was a cops cop, protecting "his" force from scrutiny or harm.

The members would certainly like him and morale would go up among the force however.
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#232 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:18 PM

That same article closes by making light of the incident, and quotes an SFU criminologist who argues it's an (old)-boys-will-be-(old)-boys kind of "prank" that illustrates the difference between the rough-and-tumble joke culture of cops vs the managerialism of city staff. wtf?

A criminologist at Simon Fraser University says the incident is likely a tempest in a teapot, steeped in politics.

Rob Gordon says the incident illustrates the culture of policing, which uses black humour and pranks to build morale.

"Clearly what you got here is a clash of two worlds mingled, I think, with some city hall politics."

Gordon thinks it's just a case of Graham's bullet-riddled prank backfiring on him.

"He's apologized for it, and I'm a little baffled as to why the issue would be taken any further, unless the offended party is being deliberately offended in order to score points."

#233 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:20 PM

Oops, LJ, simul-posting! Yes, what you said. Seems very ...um, protective, of his team...

#234 martini

martini
  • 2,670 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 09:57 PM

^thank you both for bring this to light.

#235 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 10:38 PM

I had forgotten about that target incident. The guy sounds nuttier than a Ferris' Oyster Bar veggie burger.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#236 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:06 AM

Article in today's T-C on the new police chief (not named, but speculation it's either Graham, or Naughton, or Vince Bevan (Ottawa):

New top cop picked, but name is still a secret
Lowe confirms former Vancouver chief a candidate; negotiations underway
Louise Dickson and Joanne Hatherly, Times Colonist
Published: Wednesday, November 12, 2008

The Victoria police board has voted unanimously for its new police chief, but the choice will remain a secret until negotiations are complete, Mayor Alan Lowe said yesterday. (MORE)

#237 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:11 AM

Commentary / Editorial in today's T-C on appointing a new chief:

Police chief choice should wait
Times Colonist

We had urged the Victoria police board to leave the selection of a new chief until after this Saturday's municipal elections, when a new chair will take over and at least some members will be replaced.

That would be wise in any case. The board chair works closely with the chief and should be involved in the appointment.

It is particularly appropriate given the current police board's poor performance. The board failed to provide effective oversight. It approved severance agreements that cost taxpayers some $600,000 without asking obvious questions -- and at least once without reading the agreement. It ignored basic requirements, such as ensuring the chief's performance was evaluated annually. (MORE)

The commentary goes on to discuss Graham's history in Vancouver (and as noted in this thread already, there's a lot of it...), and concludes, "Graham might be a good choice. But after more than a year of turmoil, the selection of the new chief is critical. This police board should not be making it."

The article I pointed to (before this post) said that Graham is currently working in a bicycle shop on Robson. So he's not in active policing right now?

#238 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:22 AM

It's Graham.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#239 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:23 AM

And one more article, also from today's T-C, giving the police co-worker perspective:

Co-workers of Graham offer exuberant praise
Louise Dickson, Times Colonist

People who have worked side-by-side with the man rumoured to become Victoria's new police chief say Jamie Graham has the force of personality to succeed.

"He was a great leader. Jamie was inspirational and incredibly resilient, and always set a great example in terms of being positive. He has a can-do attitude," Vancouver deputy police chief Doug LePard said yesterday. (MORE)

#240 Ms. B. Havin

Ms. B. Havin
  • 5,052 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 09:25 AM

It's Graham.

Is that official, or a little (official) bird told you?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users