Non-City of Victoria projects with no threads

• Please log in to reply
1452 replies to this topic

#381 Makita

Makita
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:40 AM

Are you talking east sooke

Yes, it is connected to Silver Spray but it is it's own developement right on the cliffs overhanging the point.

The have a website http://www.SookePoint.com as I said I really was surprised by the concept, and you have full ownership. I'm concerned about the project coming to fruition. My wife would like us to invest there for our retirement.

#382 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,676 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:42 AM

So that isn't Spirit Bay? http://vibrantvictor...d-use-approved/

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#383 Makita

Makita
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

No quite a distance from Spirit Bay, you drive right to the end of East Sooke Rd,

#384 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:08 AM

That project is at the end of east sooke rd and is called the silver spray development
Its been on hold for over 10 years
It is directly across from the end of Whiffen Spit
Unlike all of east sooke which is an unincorporated area the end of east sooke rd is part of sooke and covered by sooke fire dept which is about 20 minutes away
It is to sooke as what Point Roberts is to Washington

If you like isolation its great you are only a 20 minute drive from services in sooke but the if you look out your window you can see downtown sooke clearly

The best lots there are up on the hill overlooking secretary island

Edited by History Buff, 11 July 2014 - 10:10 AM.

#385 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:12 AM

http://www.bcbusines...ersonal-journey

#386 Makita

Makita
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:30 AM

That project is at the end of east sooke rd and is called the silver spray development
Its been on hold for over 10 years
It is directly across from the end of Whiffen Spit
Unlike all of east sooke which is an unincorporated area the end of east sooke rd is part of sooke and covered by sooke fire dept which is about 20 minutes away
It is to sooke as what Point Roberts is to Washington

If you like isolation its great you are only a 20 minute drive from services in sooke but the if you look out your window you can see downtown sooke clearly

The best lots there are up on the hill overlooking secretary island

Thanks, I was under the impression from the open house that this was a stand alone project, not associated with Silver Spray. They are developing lots and cottages within 5 meters of highest tide and have a complete resort style atmosphere. Some cottages are about 700sqft, the one my wife was interested in was about 1400sqft each floor, with 3 floors, facing northwest. The area that overlooks Secretary Island will be developed in another couple of years

There are homes being built in Silver Spray, but as I say, this area is fenced off and completely encompasses the entire point.

#387 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

The only advice I could give is to read up on silverspray to find out whay it has sat like a barren deseted properyu for sp long

Also find out about fire protection is there an agreement with the east sooke fd which is about 5 minutes away oe does sooke respond from the other side of the basin

#388 LJ

LJ
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:54 PM

Thanks, I was under the impression from the open house that this was a stand alone project, not associated with Silver Spray. They are developing lots and cottages within 5 meters of highest tide and have a complete resort style atmosphere. Some cottages are about 700sqft, the one my wife was interested in was about 1400sqft each floor, with 3 floors, facing northwest. The area that overlooks Secretary Island will be developed in another couple of years

There are homes being built in Silver Spray, but as I say, this area is fenced off and completely encompasses the entire point.

To my knowledge they haven't sold anything there yet, has that changed.

They want you to put your property into the rental pool and supposedly generate income.

I can't see that happening.

The views are quite stunning on sunny days but you get a lot of overcast, rainy, or foggy days when you wont see past your balcony.

The drive in and out would get old very fast, you have been there so just imagine driving that windy bumpy road every day.

Unless you like to sit around the house reading books for days on end I wouldn't buy there.

Oh, and no cell phone service, cable, phones either, but you are in prime spot to get satellite reception.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#389 LJ

LJ
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 06:57 PM

No, no, Mike, there is actually something built at Sooke Point.

I was out a Spirt Bay a while ago and all the lots had little signs on them describing the lot etc., the next time I went out all the information had been ripped off the sign. Apparently not everybody is on board with the development.

#390 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 08:21 PM

I dont think spirit bay is a good deal either being on Indian Land the land can not be owned by anyone who is non indian.

So it will probably be like the Hawthorne Village set up in Central Saanich next to the Saanich Historical Artifacts place in Hwy 17

You can move in there and build a house but you actually only lease the land on a 99 year lease.

Spirit Bay is way out there too at Cheana Marina where they kicked out all teh trailers and the fine tenants of said trailers no stores no gas station no nothing and at least a half hour drive on a 2 lane road to get anywhere.

I cant really see it taking off

#391 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,811 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:31 PM

Stawhaken in Tsawwassen has always done well despite being on native land though it is a cohesive part of the community.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#392 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 11 July 2014 - 09:46 PM

I am sure it does but who wants to invest in something taht you can never own outright doesnt seem to be any benefit to it if you dont own title to the land your home sits on

#393 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,811 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 06:41 AM

I guess anyone that lives on reserve land or in a strata.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#394 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:12 AM

You do own your condo outright in a strata lot...

#395 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:21 AM

You do own your condo outright in a strata lot...

I guess it's sort of something in between.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#396 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,364 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 12 July 2014 - 08:43 AM

You own it. You also have joint ownership of the public common areas. Just because you have rules to follow doesn't mean you don't own it.
You also have to follow rules when you own a house.
  • Nparker likes this

#397 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:46 AM

When you own a house you own the lot too you dont share ownership of your yard with every one of your neighbors so its totally different than a condo

#398 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,156 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 09:54 AM

Worth a read.

http://www.theglobea...article1378285/

#399 Makita

Makita
  • 12 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 10:05 AM

To my knowledge they haven't sold anything there yet, has that changed.

They want you to put your property into the rental pool and supposedly generate income.

I can't see that happening.

The views are quite stunning on sunny days but you get a lot of overcast, rainy, or foggy days when you wont see past your balcony.

The drive in and out would get old very fast, you have been there so just imagine driving that windy bumpy road every day.

Unless you like to sit around the house reading books for days on end I wouldn't buy there.

Oh, and no cell phone service, cable, phones either, but you are in prime spot to get satellite reception.

Thanks LJ,

They have a completed show cottage built right on the point, the view was stunning, standing on the deck overlooking the water and the numerous boats fishing. But as you stated the weather was gorgeous.

I asked about year round living and was told that was more than acceptable. We are looking around for our retirement, which is Sept. 2015 for my wife, I'm a few years later.

I had the impression that all services were in place now, city water, cable, phone...even a super duper sewage treatment plant.

Regarding the gray days, doesn't bother me, I'm employed in the marine industry. I spend alot of time on the water all over the coast. But I will agree that drive would be a concern for the few years I stay working.

I am concerned about the financing of the company, is this a stable project, or will it be another Colwood Corners where investors lost their down payments.

#400 LJ

LJ
  • 12,768 posts

Posted 12 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

^I wouldn't buy in until there were at least half a dozen other places built and sold. Because of the isolation it is only desirable of those that want peace and quiet, and aren't driving in and out for services on a routine basis.

I think I would get cabin fever there.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users